Tokyo to Sanbu District, Chiba (2013)

Phil

Maximum Pace
I can't advise about coming out of Tokyo to Funabashi, but once you get to Funabashi you can either follow the bay around to Chiba city (using the speedy 14/357, or cutting past Lalaport to use the 15 along the shore and past Makuhari) to turn up the 296 to go via Sakura (佐倉).

From downtown Chiba: I would recommend 126 - 53 - 76 (cross the 409 at Yachimata, there's a small connecting road), and follow the 76 through Naruto and all the way to the beach, or turn left onto the 124 to cut the corner. This is one of my usual routes when I do a beach loop from home (I'm in Yachimata). This route is longer and more complicated than simply following the 126 all the way to Togane, but the 126 turns into a bit of a highway at Togane and the routes from Togane to the beach aren't as nice. Not unrideable though, so if you want simple and quick, it will work.

From Sakura: I'd recommend following the 65/277 into Yachimata, then either picking up the route via Naruto, or more scenically, taking the 22 out the other side of Yachimata, then the 112 and finally pick up the first (southern) 58. (There are two parallel 58s, the southern one is nicer.) The route from Sakura to Yachimata isn't great (I usually use back roads but quite complicated) but it's only 10kms.

Roads to avoid are the 51 out of Chiba City to Narita, and the 409. The 126 north from Togane is unpleasant too, but okay is short stretches.

Anyway, let me know if you'd like to click any of these out on a ridewithgps...

bird

Speeding Up
Nov 30, 2010
Kawasaki
I can't advise about coming out of Tokyo to Funabashi, but once you get to Funabashi you can either follow the bay around to Chiba city (using the speedy 14/357, or cutting past Lalaport to use the 15 along the shore and past Makuhari) to turn up the 296 to go via Sakura (佐倉).
I second Phil's recommendation to go via Chiba.
The 296 however is too narrow IMO with traffic (including large trucks) during daytime, although it's one of my favourite routes for midnight rides. Yesterday I rode down the 296 from Narita during daytime and I didn't like it at all...

Apr 3, 2012
Tama Center <-> Otemachi
Thanks guys. I'll keep this in mind next I'm going out to the east coast of Chiba. The ride out to the beach was for volunteer work at a reforestation project.

I had the Jitenshanavi app from Navitime do the routing. East bound, it took me on route 22 then route 58 to the beach. There were a few (too short) sections of paths along rivers and quiet stretches through forests. The rest was through the "same same" suburbia grind. That day, the wind was very strong and kicked up into our path a lot of dirt from plowed fields. Once we arrived at the beach destination, the strong winds was blasting sand into us. It was a tough ride for me...