What's new

Tokyo to Nara route

YamanashiLiving123

Maximum Pace
Dec 9, 2015
Hey there TCC'ers,

I am on vacation now until Sept 20th and have a chunk of time. In between family events I am planning a cycling trip from Tokyo (probably start from Zama station just to get out of Tokyo) and ride to a Zen Buddhist Temple near Nara - https://goo.gl/maps/L1jdwWgLchN2 from September 3rd - 5th riding dates give or take a day.

Then going to Shinkansen it back home.

Has anyone done a ride like this before? Any experience, thoughts, suggestions? Road conditions? Alternative routes?

Thanks in advance.

I did most of the trip along Route 246/Route 1 a few years ago, but wouldn't recommend it for the journey per se as there was a great deal of traffic. The Pacific Coast Bicycle Road (太平洋自転車道) allegedly covers much of the route, but I found it difficult to find. I say that as a terrible map reader, though, so you might find it more accessible. None of the routes I used were particularly scenic.

Did a decent section of said Pacific Coast Bicycle Road (太平洋自転車道) in Golden Week. There were some stretches right by the beach where the wind had blown up so much sand that we couldn't ride on the path, and had to turn inland to the road for a while, but only a total of maybe 10 km and I guess it depends on the time of year.

If you can make the ferry times work, this might be fun:

Thanks for the map and info. I have a month to map it out. I may do some back roads, or a mix of both.

Back
Top Bottom