What's new

Tokyo to Amt Fuji

TheSaeubrenner

Warming-Up
Aug 18, 2019
Hi TCC friends,

friends of mine are coming over for next weekend and we want to do a cycling trip from Tokyo to Mt Fuji! I have 3 questions where I would need your advise:
(1) Does anyone have information about the roadconditions after the typhoon?
(2) Plan is to take a Bus back to Tokyo in the afternoon! Is this easily possible (with bike bag of course) or do the bus driver often refuse carrying bikes?
(3) do I need to book tickets in advance or is there usually enough capacity? We are a group of 4 cyclists!
Thanks for your help. Best Dennis

Hey Dennis! For road closures you can check https://www.toyota.co.jp/jpn/auto/passable_route/map/ . Although sometimes on a bicycle you can go around the construction areas. I don't take the bus often so can't comment there.

Thank you, this map looks very useful.
Last Sunday, I encountered two road closures during my ride in Chiba. One is still mapped.
And another road I sometime do take in southern Chiba and I was thinking for next Sunday is also out. This one was already out for half a year a few years back after a landslide. This is a secondary narriow road along a river and not a priority one for repair as nobody lives along it.
Anyway, this map will help a lot for planning rides this coming weekend

I think in general bikes would be too bulky for the luggage section of long distance buses, especially if there's more of you.

For Mt Fuji to Tokyo you can catch a local train from Kawaguchiko station or from Fujisan station near Fuji-Q Highland on the Fujikyuko Line to Otsuki, then change to Chuo Line back to Shinjuku. Alternatively you can hop over Kagosaka Pass and descend to the Gotemba side and catch a JR line train there or Odakyu Line from Shin-Matsuda.

Last edited:
I think in general bikes would be too bulky for the luggage section of long distance buses, especially if there's more of you.

My wife and I took our (foldup) bikes on a long distance bus last weekend. The driver went to great pains to tell us that the company did not take bikes in principle, but would carry ours as we were already boarding, though would not be held responsible for any damage that occurred in transit.
He then covered the bikes in blankets, made sure they would be away from any luggage that could have fallen and promptly delivered them unscathed.

For Mt Fuji to Tokyo you can catch a local train from Kawaguchiko station or from Fujisan station near Fuji-Q Highland on the Fujikyuko Line to Otsuki, then change to Chuo Line back to Shinjuku. Alternatively you can hop over Kagosaka Pass and descend to the Gotemba side and catch a JR line train there or Odakyu Line from Shin-Matsuda.
Thanks for your response. We managed to convince the driver to take our bikes! :) It was a lovely ride.

Back
Top Bottom