What's new

Tokyo - Osaka, train or bus?

takaperin

Warming-Up
Mar 30, 2011
Need to go Osaka soon and i want to bring my bicycle with me. Can i take bike into buss, or train ? I guess i have to put it in a box, or bag ?
Which one is a cheaper option with a bike ?

There is no extra charge to take your bike on any train (possibly it's on the books but no one I know has been charged). You need to cover the greasy parts with a bag (or box).

Bus may be fine but do you want your bike under the bus? I'm always worried about my bike's safety.

Search the site for 'bike bag' and you should get lots of info.

Good luck!

On train no problem if wrapped (doesn't matter how, as long as fully wrapped) and no extra charge. Not sure about coaches. They are cheaper but very painful - long journey!

Most highway bus companies wont allow bulky items like bike bags/boxes. Carraige of bicycles is also forbidden. Even airport limousine buses dont allow them

Yep, thats correct, i went to ask around and all buss companies said NO NO to bicycles. So my only option is Shinkasen, just need to wrap my bike.
Dont understand why buss companies dont allow bikes ?

It is probably the same as a lot of airlines. They probably don't travel with bikes, and think saying ''no'' will be a lot less hassle for them.

The bike need to be boxed or bagged to take it on a bus....done it loads of times.

The bike need to be boxed or bagged to take it on a bus....done it loads of times.

Guess it depends then...

On the two experiences that i have brought along my mtb (in a bike box with dimensions of 134x22x74cm) i have had to apologize to reluctant bus drivers:eek:uch:.
Gifu Bus (gifu to shinjuku). Nippon Chuou (takasaki to nagoya).

Jr Kanto Bus website states that even fold-able bicycles are disallowed with dimension restrictions of 1m for all luggage....

Most probably due to lack of sufficient luggage space in the trunk room and insurance reasons. I was only allowed to bring aboard my bicycle after much apologies. It helped that i traveled during off-season with only a few people.
Cross region koussoko bus luggage holds tend to fill up pretty fast in high season....

Nowadays i just takkyubin it or take the train(great hassle:thumb1:)......

YCAT to the airport and tghe one that goes from Yokohama to Osaka... not sure of the names but I have a access to a bike hard case that you strip the wheels off, drop the saddle or remove it and twist the bars.... looks basically like a suit case.

Wheels went in to the overhead no problem.

How we fly:

56526446656754246547859.jpg

and how NOT to store your bike in the storgae compartment on a coach~

resizem.jpg

Some rather expensive bikes getting thrown in there. :D

One art to getting your stuff stowed is act as if nothing is out of place.... walk in give them the baggage walk off, just one sniff of a reason for them to say NO and they will take it!

Buses

Most highway bus companies wont allow bulky items like bike bags/boxes. Carraige of bicycles is also forbidden. Even airport limousine buses dont allow them
Actually, I've carried a bike in a box on the limousine bus from Narita. I paid an additonal baggage charge of 1000yen.
Also, I was able to take it on a KiraKira Bus from Tokyo to Shikoku.
I agree with FarEast. If you ask too many questions, the tendency is to say no; I've sometimes turned-up with my bike in bag and just put it into the luggage compartment. I say nothing and neither does the driver ;)

Since im going to do this trip only once with my bike now (returning to europe for this summer) I wasnt planning to buy any harcase, so i went to Y's road and got one of those cardboard boxes where they get their new bikes. My bike will be neatly packed, but still bus companies (Highwaybus.com + JRBus) said NO NO... Should i just count on it that they let me go when i arrive there with my box and being very sorry :)

Back
Top Bottom