What's new

TheAussieinJapan

Maximum Pace
Apr 15, 2014
Well no idea if it'll actually go ahead and saw news yesterday saying over half the 168 required volunteers for the cycling road race have quit Tokyo Olympics.

Thought this could be a thread for anyone wanting to share routes they've made or the official route.

Before covid came along I was quite keen on cycling out to cheer on the riders and maybe get on TV with some fellow TCCers but not.

The actual men's race is a bit bigger in elevation and distance than I'd consider a fun day out, but think a ride up to Lake Yamanaka this Summer is on the cards.

You might know but last year, and I believe it has not changed, the plan was, not to allow any spectators on all steep climbs due to safety issues. You know, narrow roads with no sidewalk. We are in Japan. Basically, it was planned to restrict access to all areas with no sidewalk for spectators.
For that reason, I was not planning to go, but was thinking to still try my chance in a climb. I believe that controlling all the road is impossible
This year , no plan to go as I think the Olympics should be postponed, not because of covid that is not an issue for me, but more for the fact that quarantine is not imposed the related Olympics people, while commoners résidents here have to abide by those quarantine rules, restricting
movements to visit family.
Anyway, as the Olympics will be held, no change I guess in the road race planning.
There are still some pros I would like to see riding, like Valverde or Van Der Poel, and could try a go at the last minute. But can't imagine any big excitement among the supporters along the road.
TV certainly

I had the vague idea of camping somewhere near and watching on the roadside, probably on the Mikuni pass. In 2019, I even bought a Union Jack jersey in readiness!

I never knew about the restrictions Elzico describes, but they sound like the typical spoilsporty "no Olympics for the commoners" I would expect from the IOC and JOC. I've watched cross country skiing before on TV, my kids do it, and they have no fans on the course, only in grandstands. The courses are now shorter and designed to keep looping back in front of the stands.

With Covid, going now feels like supporting the Games, which I do not.

(The jersey is Assos, but is made from recycled PET bottles and the material is not very nice)

The start is about a 5 minute walk from my house so I'm planning to sneak into the park at night, hide until morning and join the race. I'll just be another foreigner on a race bike so shouldn't attract any attention. My plan is to get into an early breakaway, wheel suck all the way, benefit from my local knowledge of the roads and conditions and finally get a podium place.

FYI. The map below for last year's pre-event race is showing the areas for supporters. Red zones were "prohibited". It includes the very steep Mikuni Pass and the following pass where the course should be decided. Really sad. Hope it has changed. With the covid, things are different now.

Hiding behind a tree or doing the Bloaker's jump will be the solution.
1623247460623.png

観戦禁止エリアとは何か
一方で物議を醸しているのが、観戦禁止エリアについてだ。観戦禁止となるのは、大別して次の5つのケースに該当する個所となる。
① 車道上での観戦
② 車道と歩道の区分がない或いは歩道の幅が狭く歩行者の往来が確保しにくいエリア
③ 急な下り坂のカーブなど観戦者の安全が確保できないエリア
④ トンネル内
⑤ その他、競技運営上支障をきたすエリア

I would call the Olympic bike road race a success if zero riders die from heat stroke on this course (assuming it's not cancelled which I don't think will happen).

The start is about a 5 minute walk from my house so I'm planning to sneak into the park at night, hide until morning and join the race. I'll just be another foreigner on a race bike so shouldn't attract any attention. My plan is to get into an early breakaway, wheel suck all the way, benefit from my local knowledge of the roads and conditions and finally get a podium place.
Sounds good, what could possibly go wrong?

Thanks for the map Elzico. Those restrictions are a total buzz kill and I am pleased I'm not going now to be shepherded around as a little person. Good luck to everyone trying to sneak a proper look!

Can you fit in an S in Assos Tanki? If so, I have just the disguise for you! There's no way the average oyaji with a light saber is going to know this is not real.
reduced.jpg

Some helpful tips for you here, from the guy who made the team photo in the Champions League final.

When they did the trial race a couple of years ago, stewards were pretty draconian in policing spectators near where the race joined Onekan. Based on that, I planned on hiding in a wooded area to watch the peloton go by, but in the end figured that it's an awful amount of effort to go to for a fleeting glimpse of people I'm unlikely to recognize. And that was pre-covid!
Now, I'm just gonna watch the race on the telly and enjoy Richie Porte up on top of the podium after the finish.

Digging up this one...

How rideable is the course? I mean, of course, the interesting parts, getting closer to Fuji-san
If i were to do a "recon ride", how much of the course would i be able to enjoy?

Almost all of it is rideable. Only the Fuji Speedway itself and the climb on the Mt. Fuji loop are off limits. The climb up Mt Fuji is a toll road called 南富士エバーグリーンライン not open to cyclists, but the descent part is normal road, so you could climb that instead to get to the same place.

i recommend not starting at midday like the road race though, but as early as possible to try and avoid the heat.

Apparently someone dumped two tons (!) of fresh asphalt onto part of the course, seemingly as a protest. This is one of the most bizarre stories I've heard in a while.

So
I went for (part of) the course on Thursday.
My route was Doshi > Yamanakako > Kagosaka > Mikuni > Back to Yamanakako
Got to see a lot of female teams towards the end of Doshi climb.
And the Italians the next day.
Climbed the easier side of Mukuni trying to follow the female team on Saturday.
And it was awesome to watch the race that close. There were people in the climbs to watch, but im not sure of what time they got there.
In regards to Covid, at least on Yamanakako, i think it had a lot of people, but certainly not worse than any supermarket line to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom