Tokyo oldie newbie

May 20, 2013
I've been in Tokyo for a while. Used to ride, but due to a health setback, followed by the theft of my mountain bike, I haven't ridden (except on the wife's mama-chari) for about 6-7 years. Looking forward to riding again.

May 20, 2013
I've just ordered a Cannondale Synapse 6 alloy. It's at the shop (Seocycles in Shin-Matsudo…but I live in Kameari) and I'll ride it back from there this Thursday.

I was wondering whether a mountain bike or a road bike would be better, and decided on the road bike mainly because I love to go fast :)

Forsbrook

Maximum Pace
Feb 13, 2008
Katsushika-ku
Welcome,I'm in Katsushika,too.
I recommend cycling along the Edo rather than the Ara river,much less crowded and no stupid barriers.
However,since you are in Kameari a nice ride along the Nakagawa is surprisingly green the further up it you go.

May 20, 2013
I used to ride along the Edogawa a decade or so ago. It was a breeze, and only a few minutes from my apartment. The Arakawa is now a similar distance from home, so I was hoping to be able to ride it in the same way.

If it's as bad as you say, I guess I'll just have to ride the extra distance to the Edo.