What's new

Tokyo - Nikko - Nagano - Joetsu - Kyoto

Loic

Warming-Up
Mar 20, 2016
Hello everybody,

I just landed in Tokyo last week and am planning on cycling to Kyoto over the Alps via the west coast.

I would like to get out of the city on Wednesday morning following the Edo river, any advice on reaching the cycle path from Osaki station?

Then I would like to know if the road conditions are alright at the passes (snow, ice?)

We are touring with fully loaded bikes with Michelin Protek Cross size 40.

We just rode over 4000 km in New Zealand but haven't encounter any super cold weather or snow, I was just wondering if the route I am planning makes sense at this time of the year.

Thanks,

Loic & Mary

PS: if you have any places to recommend to visit, campgrounds, onsen or restaurants don't hesitate to share them :)

Last edited:
This route is arguably the nicest way to get from central Tokyo to Utsunomiya. From there the route to Nikko is uphill and obvious.

I think there is no nice way from Osaki to the Palace, but if you just plough up Route 1 it'll be over in a half-hour.

There were still skiers on Mt Shirane above Nikko in Golden Week last year, so that way might be closed. Basically any pass above 1000 m could still be blocked by snow or ice, depending on recent precipitation.

Thanks guys, I just installed the app, it will help us a lot to reach the river. I will see what's the weather like when I will be in Nikko and ask the locals if it's alright to ride the road 120 or 122.

I just changed my mind once again it looks like it's too early to go over the Alps, route 120 is closed until mid April, would you have another option to offer to go to Nagano with not too much traffic and less risk of snow.

Or should I forget about it and buy a rinko bag take the train to Kyoto and ride from there around Nara, Shikoku...

You could go west out of Tokyo, round Fuji Lakes and hit Nagano from the south maybe.
Something like this
Alternatively, there is probably a decent route that goes through Chichibu.

Thanks for the road profile, I could take the Tama river to Oume then ride towards Chichibu, Uena, Nagano.

How is the traffic from the area around Kofu to Matsumoto, which route gives the best mix of scenery and quiet road.

Anyway thanks I am looking at all the different options I just don't want to ride the Tokaido

The route I posted is not the Tokaido.

Taking the Tama river to Oume is good idea. Best to miss out Route 299 between Oume and Chichibu though if you can help it. Not a nice road in my experience.

Beyond that, I don't know much about the roads personally, but many of them are on Google Streetview anyway so just check for yourself.

The route the @GrantT posted looks good between Kofu and Matsumoto. It misses almost all of route 20 which isn't a very pleasant road. It's quite a narrow road with loads of trucks using it. I'd definitely skip the 299 to chichibu if possible too. Awful road.

Yeah, most of the roads between Kofu and Matsumoto on that route are fairly minor ones.
Shorter but hillier but quieter but riskier route via Oume. (Includes a 3-km tunnel on a minor road at 166 km.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom