Tokyo-itoigawa Fast Run Classic

TOM

Maximum Pace
Originally Posted by Thomas
Travis and I wanted to participate in the Itoigawa event last year, but "unmentionable circumstances" prevented us from actually racing. Yes Mike, TCC should participate in these events. I suggest starting a new thread on the topic.

Not knowing under which category (Official Tour? Unofficial Tour? - who decides?) this thread should be opened, I'm herewith opening up one on the topic of the notorious and truly classic Tokyo (Takao) - Itoigawa Fast Run race...

I agree with Andy that the views along the road can be quite crappy but there are some impressive alpine views that can be enjoyed as well. The race atmosphere is one of pure joviality- very well organized albeit a bit (overly) strict on traffic rules...

http://positivo-espresso.blogspot.com/2008/05/37th-tokyo-itoigawa-fastrun-mission.html

It would be neat if we can get a TCC team enrolled for this event - whether as an "official tour" or not. We still got plenty of time (May 2009) to get organized and...hyped up:rolleyes:.

As Andy wrote, the event is not openly advertised and somewhat shrouded in secrecy. It originally started as a grueling training exercise for hazing new Meiji University Cycling Club members. As members graduated and started going out into the real world as “shakaijin old boys,” the organizers at some point began to accept cyclists with no affiliation to the famed university. Today, this major tradition is kept alive thanks to the voluntary efforts of the OB Committee currently being headed by Takahashi-san...

http://blog.livedoor.jp/tokyoitoigawa/

http://vlaamsewielrenner.blogspot.com/2008/05/37th-tokyoitoigawa-fast-run-classic.html

Jan 14, 2007
Noda
japanichiban.com
I recognize that A-Coop (ハピア) supermarket on the blog. Just up the road from Hakuba Eki...???
If I do this ride next year, I may just stop and stay in Hakuba....after the race.

The route I take to Hakuba, I'm guessing is more scenic and probably harder... (Kumagaya->Takasaki->Ueda->Nagano->Hakuba, then 50 down hill km to Itoigawa through all the tunnels)

TOM

Maximum Pace
Precious minutes

I lost at this darned A-Coop ! People in need of a toilet break had to don slippers only to find out the bathrooms were way in the back of this supermarket. Next year, I'm using the good old tree.

Hope to see you join next year Peter! Some spots were quite scenic...the tunnels at the end though are hell ! Don't know about your route but participants have some degree of liberty in chosing their own shortcuts as long as they pass the checkpoints-cum-aid stations.

I recognize that A-Coop (ハピア) supermarket on the blog. Just up the road from Hakuba Eki...???
If I do this ride next year, I may just stop and stay in Hakuba....after the race.

The route I take to Hakuba, I'm guessing is more scenic and probably harder... (Kumagaya->Takasaki->Ueda->Nagano->Hakuba, then 50 down hill km to Itoigawa through all the tunnels)