What's new

Tokyo Itoigawa 2011 - Seeking Indications of Interest

dgl2

Maximum Pace
Nov 3, 2007
The Tokyo-Itoigawa applications are due the week of February 5, so it is time to start planning.

I just solicited indications of interest on Positivo Espresso. See:

http://positivo-espresso.blogspot.com/2011/01/tokyo-itoigawa-2011-indications-of.html

Like the Ekiden, this might be done as a combined (or, if the new kit is here, a TCC rather than a PE) event. Thoughts?

Without repeating my P.E. post, if you are interested in doing this and want to be included on follow-up communications, let me know and I'll include you on the emails.

If I do enter this it will not be under the PE name. Still undecided yet and need to check dates of JBCF and UCI tours the team is scheduled to race

Very interested!

Thanks David.
Will PM you my e-mail address.
Thomas & I attempted this several years ago whilst nursing filthy hangovers (Thomas' fault!;)).
Needless to say, we caught the train back from Matsumoto:eek:uch:
Will look forward to actually finishing this time!
Travis

David,

Liked the bit on the PE blog about me being chained to the rollers! I like to think my training is more varied than that but when I'm turning into a snowman on the balcony, thoughts of Kusatsu and Tokyo~Itoigawa do sit in my mind.

I'll be there with bells on. Wouldn't miss it for the world. Unfortunately I'm obliged to ride with my local team but I look forward to chatting enroute and beers / onsen with everyone at the finish.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

downsizing - early deadline

Looks like the organizers (Meiji Univ) have decided to downsize the event (290 riders max.). The application deadline has also been moved up (this
year as early as Feb. 12).

More details here

Let's hope we all pass the lottery. Like previous years I won't be riding under the TCC or Positivo Espresso team name :eek:uch: but with members from my "asaren" team :warau:

David,

Thank you for sharing this information.
I had planned to do the famous Fastrun this year and would be thankful, if you could include me in future planning. Hopefully the TCC jerseys will have arrived by then so I can properly show my colors (if necessary under the PE name).

I'll send another PM separately.

Hi David,

Thanks for the early heads up. I'm definitely interested in doing it "officially" this time, rather than sheepishly passing the checkpoints while everyone else got their card stamped ...

-- Steve

Really enjoyed reading all the reports by Tom, David and Tavis.

Also great to put names to faces yesterday. Great to ride with Tom for a few hours, to pass Steve while drafting a cement truck and then be chased up the steepest section by Gunnar riding like a man posessed!

If you are ever over this way, let me know and I will show you some of the more beautiful roads Niigata has to offer.

Andy

thanks Trad,

Yes 4 in a row, won't stop till I get the 7!

Andy

Amazing ride. Was reading your blog. Can`t imagine attempting anything like that and to do it at the speed you did, well all I can do is tip my hat to you. Plus, you were on your own for the last 170K :eek: Incredible. Just a bit unsure though, is your time the time between the check points added up, i.e. can you stop at a check point without any time penalty or is it just the time from when you leave the start to when you arrive at the finish?

Hope you make the 7...as long as reports don`t surface subsequently from your team-mates as to the fuel you used to achieve them, allegedly of course ;)

Just a bit unsure though, is your time the time between the check points added up, i.e. can you stop at a check point without any time penalty or is it just the time from when you leave the start to when you arrive at the finish?

You can see the difference between the two by comparing his certificate and his Polar readings. He took breaks/stopped for half an hour over the course of these 294km. An incredible machine that never slows!

You can see the difference between the two by comparing his certificate and his Polar readings. He took breaks/stopped for half an hour over the course of these 294km. An incredible machine that never slows!

Cheers for attempting to clarify, but my point was, was that for stops at the check points or in between or both? My understanding is the mind-blowing total of just 27 min for stops definitely includes stops between check points, but can you have a break at a check-point without penalty?

PS: Andy, I hope you are not one of these mad-triathlon types who answers their calls of nature (liquid or otherwise :eek:) whilst keeping pedalling.
PPS: Feel free not to answer that last point.

Stops are penalized!

Cheers for attempting to clarify, but my point was, was that for stops at the check points or in between or both? My understanding is the mind-blowing total of just 27 min for stops definitely includes stops between check points, but can you have a break at a check-point without penalty?

PS: Andy, I hope you are not one of these mad-triathlon types who answers their calls of nature (liquid or otherwise :eek:) whilst keeping pedalling.
PPS: Feel free not to answer that last point.

Hey Sikochi,
As mind-blowing as it is, I think you'll find that Andy did in fact ONLY stop for 27 minutes total during the entire ride (not including traffic lights).
At each of the checkpoints, we were all well aware that "the clock is still ticking", and the longer we stayed there, the lower our ranking at the end would be. In other words;
"We live in constant fear of being beaten by lesser riders who take shorter breaks!"

By the way, for those who haven't seen it, I wrote a blog report about the ride here.

Sikoichi,

Cheers!

Just to confirm, the time is indeed the time from the start to finish. ie. 5:55start, 14:39goal = 8h44mins.

So time spent at check points and traffic lights is time lost. I didn't take any breaks but took a planned stop at a 7-11 to fill bottles on a longer stretch.

As for the loo, just try to go behind a bush at each check point!

170km alone is not so bad. In 2008, 2009, I did the entire route solo. The actual "lost time" is less as you can negotiate the traffic easier. (2008 official time 8h34, actual riding time 8:16, so 18 minutes lost time)

I put some data up here a week or so ago:

http://www.jyonnobitime.com/time/2011/05/the-importance-of-data.html

Andy

By the way, for those who haven't seen it, I wrote a blog report about the ride here.

Read your blog. Thanks for all the details, really fleshed out the race. With just 3 hours sleep, I would be in danger of falling asleep on the bike. Finishing that kind of ride is just an outstanding achievement. Well done.

Andy: By the way, what happened to Kitano-san and Sugawara-san? That was something else for Kitano-san to give up his race for you.

Sikochi,

Thanks for the interest!

Sugawara-san finished in 2nd, 25 minutes behind me. I was happy to put so much time in to him as last year I only beat him by 9 minutes even though I was up the road riding with one of the best riders in Japan, Nishitani san.

Kitano san was in 4th, 36 minutes back. Yes, how kind it was of him to do that. That's what I love about cycling. The bonds, friendship and trust that you build with people. I did the same thing in almost identical circumstances for him in a hillclimb a couple of years ago. Maybe he was remembering that. Anyway, it's my turn again to help him out again it would seem.

In races I can get almost as much satisfaction in helping out others as in doing well for myself. Oh what a great sport cycling is!

Andy

Yeah andI still owe you a beer Andy........ Have to agree there is something most pleasureable about the role of a domestique... the unsung hero.

Back
Top Bottom