What's new

Tokyo Bay Aqua Line

Screaming Lord

Cruising
Jan 4, 2014
Hi. Does anyone know if you can cycle over Tokyo Bay Aqua Line ? I'm coming over from England end of July to end of August and staying near Lake Kameyama, Chiba. I want to cycle to Fuji Yoshida and climb Mt Fuji to Go-Gome. :) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

No, you can't. It's a long undersea tunnel in which bicycles are prohibited.

An alternative is to take the ferry between Chiba and Kurihama on the southern tip of Miura. Bicycles are welcome there.

Wot Joe sez.

Also it's allegedly possible to get a bus from one side of Aqualine to the other and to put your bike (in a bike bag) in the cargo hold of the bus. I've heard of people who have done this, but have never personally talked about it with them.

But that defeats the "...cycle to…" part of your question, with which I totally sympathise.

Also you cannot cycle over Tokyo Gate Bridge or Rainbow Bridge. Yokohama Bay Bridge is possible but I wouldn't recommend it except on a Sunday morning; too much commercial traffic otherwise.

Also you cannot cycle over Tokyo Gate Bridge or Rainbow Bridge. Yokohama Bay Bridge is possible but I wouldn't recommend it except on a Sunday morning; too much commercial traffic otherwise.

True, but it is possible to "get on the other side" of the Rainbow Bridge by walking the bike, you need an ID and then the "security" strap a small trolley to the rear wheel (so that you can't ride it). I've never done this (would rather ride around via ginza/kachidoki) but I know some people who did. Pretty ridiculous I know.

True, but it is possible to "get on the other side" of the Rainbow Bridge by walking the bike, you need an ID and then the "security" strap a small trolley to the rear wheel (so that you can't ride it). I've never done this (would rather ride around via ginza/kachidoki) but I know some people who did. Pretty ridiculous I know.
That's right. I have walked over Rainbow Bridge once (got the Strava KOM!) but not with a bike. Saw a bunch of people with their bikes strapped to those skateboards. The temptation to remove the skateboard and ride would be great except for the hundreds of CCTV cameras and that the ride would sadly not be very good anyway - lots of pillars in the way, an elevator, sliding glass doors etc. Nice view, except for the steel mesh fencing on all sides. (There's always an '...except for…')

Hi. Does anyone know if you can cycle over Tokyo Bay Aqua Line ? I'm coming over from England end of July to end of August and staying near Lake Kameyama, Chiba. I want to cycle to Fuji Yoshida and climb Mt Fuji to Go-Gome. :) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

The ride from Kameyama to the ferry in Hamakanaya is very nice. You could also skip the unpleasantness of riding through Yokohama that way. When touring I always consider boats to not be cheating. :)

I live in the area and do this route all the time. Highly recommended.

Back
Top Bottom