What's new

Tokyo Alleycat Race - 東京 アレーキャット

AKcube

Warming-Up
Aug 13, 2007
Hey

I built this thread because I was looking for alleycat threads but I couldn't find them so...

Mainly thought if you know or plan alleycat race in Tokyo, please let us know with information. Like, what kind of alleycat, fixed gear only,entry fie etc.

And if you are plaining one, I rather happy to help you to organize it.
Also I built same thread on Bikeforums
http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=332399

tak

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

はじめまして

先日「アレーキャット」「メッセンジャーレース」などのワードでサーチしたんですが
一個もヒットか出てこなかったのでスレ立てました。既出だったらすいません・・・
レースが開催されるならばここにスレを残していただけると助かります。

でわでわ

Hi tak-san

thank you for your post.

I think your post is suitable in this forum, so I moved it.

I am sorry that I don't know anything about the race, but some members might be.

MACA Seppuku Alleycat - 切腹レース @ Harajuku + BBQ

Hi,

I found one alleycat race on Aug 31st Fri @ Harajuku
start at midnight (0AM) of 31st
You have to be at Harajuku Post Office, and need a map.

here is the MACA's forum on mixi
http://mixi.jp/view_community.pl?id=1980068

I am definitely going there. is anyone coming?

This Friday...31st - midnight.

Hello AKcube,
Just letting you know, I will definitely be there for this ride too - not so much to try and win, but for the entertainment value.
I'm pretty confident that I know my way around the inside of the Yamanote-line, on most of the roads just as well as many of those "bicycle-messenger" guys.

BTW, I couldn't get into the "mixi" forum you posted, so I don't know the details exactly - I hope we didn't have to register earlier, or I won't be able to race.
Anyway, I'll be outside the Harajuku post-office about 11:45 - I'll probably be the only gaijin there, riding a silver-colored Giant (I'll also most likely have a beer & cigarette in my hands):cool:

One more thing, here's a site with lots of cool video "Alleycat" rides by some crazy NY guys:
http://www.digave.com/videos/index.htm

Enjoy!
See you on Friday.
Travis

Going to see what it's all about...

It's 10pm, and I'm just about to roll into Harajuku and see what all the fuss is about with them "Alleycat" races.
I ate a huge load of "Stamina-Ramen" about 90 mins. ago, so I'm fully "carb-loaded"... on top o' the three beers I had earlier, so I'm in the right mood!

I have no idea what it will be like, but I reckon it'll be a blast!
Will write the full report if & when I actually make it home.
Rubber down! T

Where is Travis . . .

I am a little worried about Travis. Aug 31st at 10PM he reports departing for an Alleycat race - beer and carb loaded. Since then we have not heard from Travis :rescue: How was the Alleycat? Is everything OK?

Cheers,

Philip

8 lives left...

Hey Philip,
Thanks for your concern!
Yes, I did make it to that "Alley-cat" race, and had a pretty good time for the short duration of the ride.

I got there at around 11:45pm, as I thought the roll-out was to be right on 12:00, but at 12:30 everyone was still sitting around waiting for other people to turn up.
In the end, there were about 50 riders (80% on single/fixed gear "keirin" bikes), and we rolled out at about 1:00am.
There were a few zig-zags through the back-streets of Harajuku until we got to Shibuya, and then a seriously fast dash down Rte.246 towards Setagaya-koen - only about 10km in total - which was way too short for my liking.

Out of the 50 guys (including one or 2 female riders), I came in somewhere between 8th & 12th, so I was reasonably happy with my performance.
There were guys who were much faster than me in a straight-line, so I had to rely on my "traffic-chops" to get the advantage in a lot of places.

After that, they had a barbecue in the park, about 75 people (25 were non-riding friends of the cyclists). The BBQ included a few short sprint races around the fountain - lots of fun.

That's where my fun ended... My "confidence in riding ability" spilled into "OVER-confidence in drinking ability".......:eek:uch:

To cut a long story short, I made it home the following morning, very precariously, at about 10:30am.
ずっと反省してました。:cry:

However.. still alive, and ridin'!
Travis

Hi Travis . . .

It sounds fantastic! If I were a little younger?

Glad to hear everything is OK.

Philip

Photos...

I rode home with a hangover from hell, and nearly lost my helmet - literally!
Anyway, some of the pics aren't so good, but have a look and see if it's your kind of thing...
T

Thanks for the report and photos--not the kind of riding I've ever done, so an interesting account. Am all too familiar with the hang-over thing though... :eek:uch:

Fantastic?

Travis, I should qualify my 'fantastic' rating :)

• Meeting 50 like minded strangers for a bicycle race at midnight must have got the adrenaline pumping - especially if this was someones first race and you are unsure exactly what to expect.
  • Chasing up R246 with 50 others at midnight must have been very exciting.
  • Meeting new people, sharing stories, a feeling of cameraderie, enjoying a few beers - very enjoyable.

I think that deserves a fantastic rating!

The effects of drinking too much is never fantastic :eek:uch: But we all know that and we all still do it and we all swear we will never do it again :D

My respect to you (and Tak-san) for turning up (the secret to life). I didn't go and I felt 'old' after reading your report (As a younger man I would have been there).

Congratulations on your performance in your 'rookie' race!

Philip

Sorry Philip.

While I did OK in the actual race, I really did make a fool out of myself at the "after-party" from drinking too much.

As I was trying to mount my bike, I fell over... TWICE!
In front of everybody, ONCE is forgivable, but the second time told me that "I should not be riding home right now"!

The bottom-line is, it's very hard to express the disappointment I felt with myself.
While I was supposed to be the "mascot" for TCC, all I managed to do was drink too much, and then fall off my bike...(twice).
Sorry I snapped at you, Philip.
I was angry at myself, and took it out on you.
Catch you on another ride! T

Back
Top Bottom