What's new

Tokyo (actually Utsunomiya) to Aomori.

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Aomori. From Tokyo (actally Utsunomiya).

After completing my Kyushu ride, I think it's time to head North!
This time, it will be a 6-day trip from Utsunomiya to up past Aomori - to Omasaki.
There has been some interest from some other members who also might want to join; Kiwisimon, Thomas, Ash, and maybe Sora as well - Anyone else, you're all very welcome to come along too! Shay? Ken? Nobuko? Shinobu?

The day before the start - Friday, April 27, I will catch the train to Utsunomiya, and find a hotel to stay at.
Day 1, 28th, Saturday: Ride from Utsunomiyya to Kouriyama - about 130km... I think!
Day, 29th, Sunday: Kouriyama to Sendai. About the same distance - maybe slightly up-hill, then a down-hill to Sendai, but definitely do-able!
Day3, 30th, Monday: Sendai to Mizusawa. I'm not really too sure about the terrain, but it looks like a very slight "up" all the way for about the same distance - 120-130km.
Day 4, May 1st, Tuesday: Mizusawa to Hachimantai. Almost the same as the day before - all up-hill (slightly).
Day 5, 2nd, Wednesday: Hachimantai to Hirosaki: This will be a tough day! There are two quite long climbs on the way through. However, in saying that, it also means that there will be 2 awesome down-hills that follow - I imagine that the downhills will bring the average speed back up to a reasonable "24km/h"-ish.
Day 6, Thursday May 3rd: Hirosaki to Omasaki: This is the day that may cook me; This will be a long day! From Hirosaki, it's only 50km to Aomori city - and the Shinkansen (for any people who want to get home - back to Tokyo quickly). But I want to ride all the way up to Omasaki - about 100km from Aomori; From there, I can catch the ferry, to Hakodate in Hokkaido, and then I'll ride to Hakodate Airport (about 20km - ie. an hour).
I know that that day will be my hardest, but if I can make it to the airport in time to catch the last plane back (to Tokyo) , I'll be happy!
If I can't make that last plane, I will have no choice but to stay in Hakodate for the night, and catch the plane back in the morning.
Anyway, that's the plan so far!
I can change the above written schedule 1 or two days this way or that way, so that anyone else who wants to join in the ride can come along too, but at the moment, this is the schedule that I have set.
IF you have some interest in coming along, please reply, and we can possibly re-arrange things some more - it's still 4 months away, so you'll have time to adjust your plans!

If you've all followed the "Kyushu" trip, you will know by now that I always stay in business-hotels (no camping). So depending on the number of people on the day, we can get one or two rooms, to keep the cost down for everybody - 2 people per room (I don't mind sharing). And if any of the TCC ladies want to come along as well, of course you'll have a separate room.

Yoroshiku! Travis

Kiwisimon, do you think you'll be able to make the last 3 days from Sendai?
Thomas, it will be great to have the company!
Sora, どう?来れる?来てほしいな~!
Edogawakikkoman, your choice; 8 hours, or 6 days. Hope you can make it!
Anybody else???

Just a little info' The shinkansen leaves from Hachinohe ( my home town) but its only about an hour away on the express train. From there 3 hours to Tokyo station.

Thanks!

Kiwisimon,
I'm sure I could check it myself, but you're closer, so can I ask you for a favour?
Can you check the times for the last ferry from Omsaki, please!?
I will need to know that information, so I'll know how early I have to leave on the last day.
Until I know exact distances and ferry times, I won't have any idea about how long it will take me get there.
O-negai-shimasu! T

Kiwisimon,
I'm sure I could check it myself, but you're closer, so can I ask you for a favour?
Can you check the times for the last ferry from Omsaki, please!?
I will need to know that information, so I'll know how early I have to leave on the last day.
Until I know exact distances and ferry times, I won't have any idea about how long it will take me get there.
O-negai-shimasu! T

check your pm, I sent that info' last nite.:cool:

Travis, count me in from the first to the last minute. Hokkaido, here we come!

We'll probably upgrade the tour to an official TCC Golden Week Tour. Just need a catchy name.

My options...

1) 100% all the way.
2) Stop at Sendai and meet some friends and then ride back.
3) Go in the annual 8 hour race on Tsukuba circuit...

:warau:

The Tohoku tour sounds great!:D

We'll probably upgrade the tour to an official TCC Golden Week Tour. Just need a catchy name.
Yes, let's upgrade the tour an offical!

But I'm sorry, in Golden Week and Obon holidays I will go to the annual e-WADACHI solo tour.:bike:
オイラはゴールデンウィークと夏休みはひとりで走ってしまうのさ!

Don't forget to drop in Hirosaki Castle for cherry blossoms!
みんな、がんばれ~!

Ferry Timetable

Here's the page for the ferry!
Look at "11" in the middle section; the last ferry leaves Oma (大間) at 16:10, and arrives in Hakodate (函館) at 17:50.
http://www.higashinihon-ferry.com/02route/hako_ooma.html

That means that the last day will require a pretty early start - If we're not rolling by 7:00am, we might not make the boat! I'm fairly sure that the distance is about 150km. With minimum breaks!

Here's the page for the ferry!
Look at "11" in the middle section; the last ferry leaves Oma (大間) at 16:10, and arrives in Hakodate (函館) at 17:50.
http://www.higashinihon-ferry.com/02route/hako_ooma.html

That means that the last day will require a pretty early start - If we're not rolling by 7:00am, we might not make the boat! I'm fairly sure that the distance is about 150km. With minimum breaks!
The page says in FAQ that you need to reach the Oma ferry tarminal 40 minutes before leaving.:)
=> http://www.higashinihon-ferry.com/04first/faq.html

Soraさん, how about you just ride 100 meters behind everyone else?
:bike: SORA<-----100meters---------------:bike: :bike: :bike: :bike: :bike: :bike:
You will be riding solo but can see Hirosaki Castle and the cherry blossoms.
Just an idea.

Would be nice to have Sora-san along too, but....

I can understand Sora's thinking on this one.
It'd be great to have the extra company, but I know myself; sometimes I too just want to ride alone.
Anyway, Kiwisimon, does this mean you're in for the ride???
I hope you can make it!
So far.....
Definitely, YellowGiant (me) and Thomas: For the full distance.
Edogawakikkoman: For at least the first 2 days, Utsunomiya to Sendai (possibly, all the way up) - still depending on the "Tsukuba 8 hour-race" decision.
Kiwisimon: From Sendai, for the last 4 days up to Aomori.
All of my tours so far have been solo:
Tokyo - Kyoto; 560km (4 1/2 days).
Kyoto - Shimonoseki; 580km (4 days).
Lap of Kyushu; 980km (8 days).
So, this will be my first long "group" tour as well, and all I'm hoping for is a congenial dynamic between all the riders. I don't think it'll be a problem though:)
It's still 4 months away, and I'm already getting excited about it!
Rubber Down! T

Maybe waiting in Hakodate

I am very interesting in this tour. However, I was informed by my boss that I will move to Muroran, Hokkaido from this April.
So, I think it is better to wait for all of you at Hakodate in order to welcome you.

Mini Tour

This tour sounds great but I can only make the 28th, 29th, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th !:mad:

Can I join somehow ?

Tohoku!

Hey Chazzer,
No problem with you joining us!
With the schedule you wrote, I think the best bet would be for you to come along on the first two days - 28th; Utsunomiya to Koriyama. And 29th; Koriyama to Sendai.
Those 2 days are when the pack will be at its biggest (5-6 riders), and a few other people also mentioned getting the train back from Sendai.
After Sendai, there will be fewer people, and it will just be two monotonous days to Hachimantai, where we'll finally meet Kiwisimon, and have some hills ahead of us.
Please check out the "Tour d'Tohoku" thread in the Official Tours section!
Travis

Back
Top Bottom