Tokigawa

Justin

Speeding Up
Nov 12, 2016
A slightly strange question, but humour me: if the Arakawa Cycling Road didn't exist, and you were trying to get from central Tokyo (say, Shinjuku Station) to Tokigawa for a climb into the mountains, which road would you take? Or rather, what would be the least terrible road to take? Assume the departure time is around 3am, so traffic is not so bad (although there are still plenty of delivery trucks racing along dark streets).

luka

Maximum Pace
Jan 13, 2015
Not so strange now Arakawa is out of action with mud and debris etc. I wouldn't ride it myself but if I wanted such an early start would instead take a first train to ogawa machi, hanno or perhaps chichibu, depending on the final goal

Greg1981

Cruising
Mar 10, 2016
Saitama
@Justin
A slightly strange question, but humour me: if the Arakawa Cycling Road didn't exist, and you were trying to get from central Tokyo (say, Shinjuku Station) to Tokigawa for a climb into the mountains, which road would you take? Or rather, what would be the least terrible road to take? Assume the departure time is around 3am, so traffic is not so bad (although there are still plenty of delivery trucks racing along dark streets).
Arakawa is not that bad now, i could ride this weekend (11/03) and went around sakado, the cycling road was "mostly" rideable(but no hope to keep your bike clean for sure). Just needed to go out few times and follow the river through the city, but you can make it till Tokigawa. At least, Arakawa was ok from Horikiri until Ageo...

Reactions: Justin

Justin

Speeding Up
Nov 12, 2016
Sorry, I didn't explain myself. Before the weather turned biblical and destroyed half of the mountain roads, I was planning a ride from central Tokyo out over the Green Line, through Chichibu, then out to the Crystal Line and down to Enzan. I was thinking of leaving around 2:30/3am, which would mean that if I went along the Arakawa for the first part of the ride, I'd be doing some or all of the river road in darkness. I have a powerful light, so it's definitely doable. But having done the Arakawa in the dark a few times before (usually pre-dawn), I'd rather give it a miss if there's another option available. There are all kinds of nocturnal animals around, and even with a very good light it can be really hard to see them until it's too late. The last time I did it, I narrowly averted a collision with a stray cat, then a tanuki, and then I got covered in spider webs. That's why I thought it might be easier and faster at that time of day, when there's virtually no traffic around, to simply hit a major road and head out to Tokigawa that way. I could be wrong about that, though. There are drug-fueled truck drivers speeding along major roads at all hours.

Justin

Speeding Up
Nov 12, 2016
It was also a self-imposed condition of my ride that I would not take the train for any segment of the route before Enzan, except in an emergency.

TheAussieinJapan

Speeding Up
Apr 15, 2014
Nerima Ward
Try using a route creator in Strava, Komoot & Ridewithgps to see the variations. Strava seems to have more data to pool from in terms of popular routes and routes based off of what roads people ride on.

Would be some big main roads from my quick check. You‘d end up past Heiwadai out onto main roads.

Reactions: Kangaeroo