What's new

TOJ 2011 Cancelled

No surprises there but in a way it's sad to see so many lives disrupted by the Tohoku tragedy. I then stop to think of the tens of thousands who lost their lives and the hundreds of thousands who only have their lives and no material possessions and think WTF?

As the ToJ is sponsored by the Japanese govement they decided the monies were best directed to the relief effort. Shame as we would have been racing it this year.

Lots of cancellations eh? Only to be expected I guess.

The JBCF series seems like a bit of a non-starter. Even the spring marathon here in Kashiwazaki has been cancelled.

I guess it's difficult to justify the extravagence of the TOJ which is basically a series of races: Shuzenji CSC, Fuji HC, Osaka.... spread over Japan.

James, I recommend the Tour of Hokkaido if you get the chance. More of a stage race feel with starts and finishes in different towns.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

On a different front, but in the same vein, our local Omikoshi has been canceled for the middle of May, first time since the war I'm told.

Old customs die hard

I've wondering if some customs or events will be continued at all after they are cancelled this year. Like O-Chugen (summer presents) slowly fade away as a corporate or personal activity.

How about stopping to write Nengajo (Year End Cards) this year? As a custum you don't write one when somebody in or close to your family has died. Wouldn't be the natural disaster this year not be reason enough not to write?

Then again, if you don't write one at year end you need to send a notice around in October to everybody who would normally receive a card and inform them that you don't write one this year.Equally cumbersome.

Back
Top Bottom