What's new

Tohoku CX Project Feb 24th 2013

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
The final race of the 2012-13 Tohoku CX series.

This is a great race for a great cause. I just got back from racing there and I have to say it was well worth the 10 hours spent in the car. The courses are challenging and they have 3 different locations.

Yesterdays was held at Miyagi velodrome and involved 1 lap of the track followed by a very technical course that went through the grandstand and center court of the track and surrounding fields and obviously finishing with a lap of the traack again. (write up to come)

I will be heading up again for this race and happy to pick people up in Yokohama and Tokyo on route. (1st come 1st served)

That's the second (pro) day of Tokyo CX, right? Let me just check conditions and obligations and if I can make it, I'll get back to you...

Gunjira - my bad it was very early when I posted this and was looking at the Tokyo dates not the Tohoku dates - the next race is the 24th

Here's a video of the race on Sunday - Im behind the guy with the camera until about 5 minutes in when I jump a good 6 places going up the stairs 4 at a time.
I was really enjoying watching that (and thinking 'what are these tyres they use and how can I find some before tomorrow')... and then the slush hit the lens. Eat my spray!

I have a full selection sitting in the shop. We shoulda rigged you up with the 'Sammy Slicks' for your commute. They fit nicely on the 25mm Alloys and despite the name - they aren't really 'slick' but have hard knobbies on the edges. Pretty good for slush. Otherwise - I could've loaned you my 45mm Continental CX Carbons with the XM's or the PDX's ... but the roads are really too clean for them. I have some studded Hakapalitas's too...

I was really enjoying watching that (and thinking 'what are these tyres they use and how can I find some before tomorrow')... and then the slush hit the lens. Eat my spray!

Yeah gutted about that - The tires that I was racing on was a conbination.

Vittoria CROSS EVO XN on the rear at 3 bar (32x700)
Vittoria CROSS EVO XM on the front (Reverse tread) at 3 bar (32x700)

All available in tubular or clincher.

Some of the Pro's were running Dugast tires. (non studed)

Hmm, I would be partial to Michelin 'muds' . The Dugast are particularly supple allowing even lower pressure. But I think your choice seems very logical. Good combination of grip and slip. As you know so well, it's all about the pressure!

I have a full selection sitting in the shop. We shoulda rigged you up with the 'Sammy Slicks' for your commute. They fit nicely on the 25mm Alloys and despite the name - they aren't really 'slick' but have hard knobbies on the edges.
I may actually be tempted. But would that mean I have to deflate the tire to remove the wheel? Not much clearance on the brakes there... or indeed anywhere.

Oh yeah - I guess we'd need to 'extend' the chainstays by about 40mm ....

I may actually be tempted. But would that mean I have to deflate the tire to remove the wheel? Not much clearance on the brakes there... or indeed anywhere.

Hmm, I would be partial to Michelin 'muds' . The Dugast are particularly supple allowing even lower pressure. But I think your choice seems very logical. Good combination of grip and slip. As you know so well, it's all about the pressure!

You see this is the issue with CX - the course changes so rapidly and beleive it or not mud tires are useless in snow and sand.

Good video that.

The bit where the lens gets slushed up; that is pretty much exactly what an Aura Migraine does to your vision for hours and hours.

Which leads me to ask; how does the snow affect your head / eyesight? Do you get brainfreeze when you are racing at that intensity in those conditions?

Basically this kind of racing is all about having mental stamina when you are already cooked.

I'll go over it in my race report but CX racing requires concentration and mental stamina as well as physical. I was wearing my winter skull cap and team cap to keep the head warm as well as neoprene gloves and socks. Full winter cyclocross skin suit and winter jacket - I was over heating but had feeling in all y extremities.

So for me no brain freeze and my Oakleys protected me against the wind.

One participant looked as if he was in summer garb. I hope he brought the Deep Heat along.

That's normal for Cyclocross! :confused:

British doctors apocryphally use the annotation "NFN" on patient charts to indicate "Normal For Norfolk". Maybe James' comment warrants a new abbreviation/in-joke — N4CX.

Yep Wellies on the Podium is definitely N4CX

Hmm, I want to proceed with registration, but haven't quite figured out how to. Sure, I can register for the event, but how does one obtain a ajocc 選手番号?

I guess the fact that I raced Nobeyama in c2(through Gsastuto) and tokyocx in c3 (through sportsevent) does not help, but there does not seem to be a way to check, except sending a mail to ajocc directly. Am I missing something?

Ok.....

This is the great thing about the AJOCC as soon as you do one race you are automatically assigned a number and do not need to register. (How ever if you want insurance for racing and training you will still need to register and pay for a JCF racing license)

So basically you go to the AJOCC website: http://homepage3.nifty.com/cyclocross/pc.html (great place to find out about all sanctioned races)

Then go to this page: http://cyclox.mydns.jp/

Here is the listing of all the races nd at the top is a download names: " 選手名簿のダウンロード You'll need a Japanese OS or language pack for it to dissplay properly.

Collumn 'A' is your AJOCC racing number - however if you were racing under someone elses name or do not have one just register for the C3 race and then afterwards you will be added to the list and assigned a number.

Back
Top Bottom