What's new

Today

6.30 Couple of Palace laps and sprints - now back to the house for a quick shower, then to dentist for a recap - and back for a couple more laps.

James, for Tokyo~Itoigawa, 3 pockets just isn't enough is it!? I did a count and I reckon I ate 14 bananas that day! Haven't touched one since!

Andy

Hell no! I haven't touched a Gel pack since either!

This morning took the new Carbone SL's for a power and spin test..... got them up to 65kph on the flat on the sprint..... very nice.... sound like an Apache Gunship....Thump thump thump thump.... :eek:

they sound fantastic don't they!?

I really missed not having them at Tokyo~Itoigawa this year. Wait till you try them going downhill! Like a motorbike!

Andy

My today starts tonight at 930.
Weekly team one hour race/training.
My goal is not to get dropped like I did last week... :eek:

Up early....5km gentle warm up....3 x Imperial Palace laps at full speed....5km cool down....shower, brekkie....off to work.
May do the same tomorrow!

Today - 2 June 2010

Dunno what was different about me or the roads, but my 20 km commute was really smooth and fast today, both ways. The hills seemed easier to climb. The lights were kind to me. Places I'm typically dawdling at 27 or 28 kph I found myself doing 35+. And I got a beautiful draft from a 2-tonne truck on Futago-Ohashi that catapulted me to 55 kph going uphill. Wheeee!!

(Don't try this at home, kids.)

Couple all that with perfect weather. Today I was really glad to be a cyclist. :)

How was your day?

-- HF Mike --

Took a really nice 30km recovery spin along the river in to Yokohama.... I think I only went over 35kph once. Nice to go real slow now and again and enjoy the weather and the sights :cool:

Alright!

Standard ride to work, but didn't end up like a sweating mess at the end; maybe getting fitter!

On the way home, took a detour through a huge rice field range. Fields as far as the eye could see.

Stopped right in the middle and watched sun go down with a cheeky Chu-Hi.

Burned all the way back without dropping below 34kph.

Nice.

Just burnt it down to the local park, took a load of photos of of trees and stuff (I am bit of a hippy like that) and cracked it back.

I live in Saitama, but it is pretty much in the country side, so after home-time, the roads get nice a dead. My only complaint is, I don't have anyone to enjoy the streets with me!

Probably about 15km done this evening. Small-change to you hardcore guys, but I am still learning the trade. LOVE the feeling though.

Honestly, the first time I got 'up to speed' (if that is what you call it), it was a revelation. Off-road MTB nor BMX can come anywhere near the pure speed thrills of a road bike. The wind roaring in my ears and the 'f-ck me! I am going as fast as the cars' feeling was supreme!

So yeah, today, I very much enjoyed my bike.

Honestly, the first time I got 'up to speed' (if that is what you call it), it was a revelation. [Neither] Off-road MTB nor BMX can come anywhere near the pure speed thrills of a road bike.
Glad you're enjoying it. I remember that epiphany well. Then I realized that if I duck my head down, pull my knees in and grab the drops, it goes even faster. :eek::eek::eek:

I love the acceleration. Waiting at a light, foot tense against pedal. GO! Almost before I'm through the junction I can be at cruising speed.

I'm slightly jealous of your nice quiet roads up there in Saitama-on-Sea. But the Tokyo traffic keeps me on my toes (until it puts me on my ass.)

You are going to have to teach me how to use the drops, mate, as I still pretty much find it weird.

I can go much faster with my hands on top of the brakes.

Holding the bars in the drops seems weird and slows me down, like I can't put the power down.

In fact! This is an open message to all you experts. If you can give me any advice about how to ride in the drops, please tell me!

You are going to have to teach me how to use the drops, mate, as I still pretty much find it weird.

I can go much faster with my hands on top of the brakes.

Holding the bars in the drops seems weird and slows me down, like I can't put the power down.

In fact! This is an open message to all you experts. If you can give me any advice about how to ride in the drops, please tell me!

Just keep trying.
Work on sitting and riding the bike from your stomach... no need to have any pressure on your hands.
When I'm warming up on long stretches I just pretend I'm holding the handle bars... and just concentrate on riding with my legs and stomach ...

Do it with your hands high at first and just keep at it till you get the balance, strength and your back bone gets used to crouching over in the prawn position..
Takes a long time to feel comfortable at it...

Ah thanks a lot.

So there is no special secret to it the, eh.

OK, I will try it for as much as I can per ride from now on.

Couple of questions;

As a beginner in the drops, I feel much better braking from on top of the bars.

-When you guys are in the drops, do you brake and shift from there as comfortably as when you are on the tops? (I am hoping it is just me that finds this very awkward)

-When there is a strong sidewind, where do you feel best; drops or tops?

Well, I will stick with it, and hopefully it will sort itself out.

Still enjoying being a street-stormer!

Much harder to brake in the drops but you need to be able to do it... I have to stretch my index finger a lot to get a hold... but I'm used to it...

I tend to get out of the drops if I can when braking but often you don't have time to move ... one of my friends on long downhill rides lifts the levers (on the calipers) so he can squeeze the hand levers back so his hands are comfortable and can then squeeze a little more when he wants the brakes to start working.

crappy thick winter gloves will make braking hard as well...

just keep practicing till you feel comfortable...

I'm sure others will have good tips...

I can pretty much sit in the drops all day long shifting and breaking with no issues.

If you're having issues on the reach then its a clear indicator your bars are the wrong size for you or the shifters aren't positioned correctly.

You want to help me out, or are you going to send me to a pro?

You want to help me out, or are you going to send me to a pro?
Oooh - I was thinking... Tense stomach. Lift knees. (I imagine lifting my knees when I ride, rather than pushing my feet down.)

And I wondered how much time the Seo guys spent making sure the bike fits you. I'm happy braking and shifting in the drops, but it took me several lever position changes to get there. I find I can brake much harder in this position.

I was fitted by Aoyama-san for my first road bike (back when he worked at Y's, back when Y's was an OK store). I kept the fitting data sheet and still refer to it when experimenting with saddles and bars, buying bikes etc. Trust me/us - it's worth the effort of getting there and the cost of a few hours of his time.

--HF Mike--

80-90K Day

Today, though off, I had some business to attend to at the office. Hit the road from Futamatagawa at 1000 on route 40. Just past route18, there is a bike-jogger road that follows a river to Sagami-Wan. Took that all the way to Fujisawa, then 467 to 134 at Enoshima. Followed the coast until near Hayama, then route 27 over the Miura Hanto to Yokosuka. After the hour or so of business I had at the office, I hit route 16 to Taura, then R24 to Kamakura, then retraced my route back to Futamatagawa along Sagami-Wan`s coast (though via 467) arriving home at 1600. For the most part I flew by all on the road. On R467 a dude who I noted was resting at a conbini eventually past me (I hadn`t been checkin` me 6 o`clock). Accepting the challenge, I kept up with him (Fight`s on Mate!!). He stood in the saddle pounding peddles to make the few lame climbs there are on R467, I? stayed abreast him remaining seated.

Awesome weather. Summer break beach bars are under contruction. Overall - an excellent day.

I`d tally somewhere between 80-90kys what?:bike:

Back
Top Bottom