What's new

Today - September 2011

Finally had the stitches removed out of my finger, followed by the first time on the bike a day later. Not only did I do a "Jan Ulrich" off the bike, I also haven't got the grip in my left hand back yet. But it looks like there will be closure with the other party soon, in combination with some welcome replacements on the bike.

Having a break from the heat is not such a good idea!

Been back in Japan for nearly 2 weeks now, and still can`t match performance levels from before I left - didn`t know heat declimatization was so sharp acting. Only one decent ride so far and that was when temperatures were below 25C (was only 18C at the highest point - @950m)

Last week`s attempt at an all out effort on my favourite hill (should be under 15mins) saw me stay within 5% (time wise/pacing) before I had to bail at 11 mins. Today, was near enough on the money, but had to bail this time at 12 1/2 mins. So after some gentle climbing switched to VO2 efforts and again, struggling even before half-way on the second one. But as an interval doesn`t count for VO2 unless you hit the 3 min mark, managed to persuade myself to keep going. Somehow managed a third, but that was it. L4 training I love, don`t mind L7 or L6 (not that I do much of it) but VO2 (L5) is torture on a bike for me - maybe, without a power meter, I am doing them too hard but how are you supposed to guesstimate what 120/125% FTP is???

My next hill climb is 3 weeks away, so hopefully, back to speed by then. At least that is my date with Miss Whiplash over `til next week.

I need a calculator Sikochi!

Sounds like you know yourself down to the heartbeat! With me, I know if I take more than 4 days off the bike, when i get back on
1.Its gonna hurt
2. My fitness will be no where near what it was, and I have to return to base
3. I can get back to the same as before (or better depending how rested I was in those off days) in 2 to 3 weeks of base, and if I try to push it in that time, I will injur myself. Have done it before. NEVER AGAIN...I hope
Today was a rest day for me after a long heavy climbing week. Tommorow I will ride to Norikura and back, I hope. I will let you all know how that goes

Just returned home from Mt.Akagi hill climb. Managed to climb faster than my target time :)
I think the organisers did a good job considering this year was the first time and there were nearly 2,500 participants.:thumb:

110km down the Arakawa and further. Went up to Kumagaya, back down to the Saiko Lake course to check the Enduro layout, and generally rode around doing some interval sprints. Nothing epic, and little to no climbing, but good to back in the saddle after a mental couple of weeks full of real-life problems.

Plan to be out every night after work this week.

:bike:

110km...... Out on a club ride. These are great for training, every man and his dog wants a bit of me on the climbs, then I loop back to the bottom and coach the new riders up to the top or pull them back in to the group if it getstoo strung out, repeat 30 times and the legs get very sore.

High Cadence spin down the Tamagawa to finish it off and then back in to Yokohama along Route 15 where again the Sunday warriors were on the attack.

Very good day out.

Just returned home from Mt.Akagi hill climb. Managed to climb faster than my target time :)

Congratulations! Race report please!

Akagi-san is definitely worth seeing, just as sister crater lake/mountain Haruna-san. Haruna-san isn't quite as high up, but full of motorized tourists, and many of the unpleasant sort.

For those interested, Akagi-san can be done straight from Tokyo, if you don't mind riding 100km along Arakawa and Tonegawa to get there.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/81916358

Haruna is nice.

No need to exagerate Ludwig :confused:. Just because you happened to be going up Haruna together with biker clubs (Yellow Corn, etc... :D) once or twice, doesn't mean it is an unpleasant route. Also, motorized tourists can be very sweet folks (I was one once myself when I was a heavy cigar smoker and weighed +10kg more than today) so no need to stereotype here either.

Congratulations! Race report please!

Akagi-san is definitely worth seeing, just as sister crater lake/mountain Haruna-san. Haruna-san isn't quite as high up, but full of motorized tourists, and many of the unpleasant sort.

For those interested, Akagi-san can be done straight from Tokyo, if you don't mind riding 100km along Arakawa and Tonegawa to get there.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/81916358

Maybe we should continue this conversation, Tom, when you are sober again...

Read carefully what I wrote - I did not stereotype anyone at all. And I'm not referring to our joint ride either.

The north side is used as a race trial track by *SOME* guys in fast cars or on fast bikes. When you ride this up by bike, it is truly scary. The other day, I happened to meet a policeman who also cycles in that area, and he confirmed what I had experienced was not an exception.

Anyhow, do the north side up at your own peril. I will not do it again. Only down (as we did together).

Norikura

Did the back side of Norikura today. If I had to choose I would say the back side is much nicer for decending, Alot faster and smoother, unfortunatly there are more busses so climbing and getting passed by the exaust fumes is really no fun. I like climbing the from the Nagano side, more hairpins, undulating terrain. It was cold and foggy so no views to be had :(
My next ride I will loop the mountain, maybe next sunday.
Cant wait for the E Performance Camp!

It was cold and foggy so no views to be had :(

Ah, what a shame! When the view is clear, the views are even more stunning than on the south side. You can see the full Kamikochi range and also Takayama and the mountains to the west of it.

Agree on the descend. Not sure about the buses. You may have been unlucky. I thought it was the same amount on traffic on either side, but found the buses quite reckless taking the tight curves on the south side at speed and without regard for cyclists potentially coming down.

OK, OK, sober again :angel:...if you mean those bikers of the same type as the ones on Kazahari, you are absolutely right to call them at least unpleasant...

BTW, did you see the bike & car collision near summit of Matsuhime (Otsuki-up side) on Saturday ? Don't know what sort the unfortunate biker belongs to but he had to be carried away by ambulance. The bike was a mess and the car had become immovable in the middle of the hairpin curve :eek:

Maybe we should continue this conversation, Tom, when you are sober again...

Read carefully what I wrote - I did not stereotype anyone at all. And I'm not referring to our joint ride either.

The north side is used as a race trial track by *SOME* guys in fast cars or on fast bikes. When you ride this up by bike, it is truly scary. The other day, I happened to meet a policeman who also cycles in that area, and he confirmed what I had experienced was not an exception.

Anyhow, do the north side up at your own peril. I will not do it again. Only down (as we did together).

. but found the buses quite reckless taking the tight curves on the south side at speed and without regard for cyclists potentially coming down.
I drove buses up and down mountains in New Zealand and there is no way to take a tight curve staying just one side of the center line. Generally it's accepted that downhill traffic gives way to up hill and then smaller gives way to big. End of the day a bus driver is responsible for up to 60 passengers and a cyclist just himself, easier if cyclists control their speed. Rubber side down. :bike:

When I got to my commuter station in Fuchu at 6:00 this morning, Keio Line wasn't moving...another suicide :( ? Went back home, grabbed my papachari and made it to the office in less than fifty minutes...a new record !

BTW, did you see the bike & car collision near summit of Matsuhime (Otsuki-up side) on Saturday ? Don't know what sort the unfortunate biker belongs to but he had to be carried away by ambulance. The bike was a mess and the car had become immovable in the middle of the hairpin curve :eek:

Yes, when we passed they had just loaded the car onto a truck and another truck was arriving from Kosuge to pick up a motor bike. We could only guess that there had been a car - motor bike collision in that curve, but didn't see any actual damage, and any injured had gone long (didn't hear/see an ambulance).

BTW, I've never seen so many motor bikes going over Matsuhime as on Saturday. Is this the result of the road surface on the north side being renewed? And why are they fixing it at all when the tunnel must be close to completion? I guess Tohoku doesn't need any help any more, so wasting tax payers' money in Kanto can again be accelerated...

When I got to my commuter station in Fuchu at 6:00 this morning, Keio Line wasn't moving...another suicide :( ? Went back home, grabbed my papachari and made it to the office in less than fifty minutes...a new record !

There was also one on Odakyu this morning... But trains seemed back to normal at rush hour.

Amazing speed - especially considering the weight of your papachari. You are riding a real truck!

I drove buses up and down mountains in New Zealand and there is no way to take a tight curve staying just one side of the center line. Generally it's accepted that downhill traffic gives way to up hill and then smaller gives way to big. End of the day a bus driver is responsible for up to 60 passengers and a cyclist just himself, easier if cyclists control their speed. Rubber side down. :bike:

I think slowing down and passing a narrow speed at a more appropriate speed would not only endanger oncoming traffic (could be a taxi full of people!) but also keep the bus passengers' stomachs in a more friendly state. And before curves where it is impossible to see oncoming traffic (up or down), a honk would also help - it is even encouraged in places like Norikura.

I think slowing down and passing a narrow speed at a more appropriate speed would not only endanger oncoming traffic (could be a taxi full of people!) but also keep the bus passengers' stomachs in a more friendly state. And before curves where it is impossible to see oncoming traffic (up or down), a honk would also help - it is even encouraged in places like Norikura.

totally agree.But scrubbing speed on a heavy vehicle going uphill is really inefficient and the down changing of gears and re-engagenment of gears is great for upsetting passengers stomachs.

Back
Top Bottom