What's new

Today Today - October 2015

Are we on the edge of a new scene starting, of people who only ride at night?

How would tan lines work? Would you end up like a negative photo, with moon tan lines that are whiter than the rest of your body?

As to a new trend...never me. @saibot is the most definitely the night ride pioneer!

And tan lines...would moon tan lines cause less issues or more issues as to UV exposure and cancer etc? A brief Google search suggests that the moon largely dissipates UV rays...

It would look well good mind.

I never plan to ride in the dark but do end up there sometimes. It is usually only for short periods and on well lit streets so I always disregard the need for a powerful light. Knowing this and the fact that I would have to plan to take such a light makes me question again my necessity for it.
Riding home along the river from a ride is the only time I could see it being used and there are always alternatives to that. A stocking filler at xmas perhaps.

(mine arrived the next morning after ordering. Rapid.).
I watched the Cateye movie but remain confused about one point. Perhaps you can clarify. Can I recharge my phone (or Garmin!) from the light unit itself, or do I have to remove the battery from the light, insert it in the adapter/charger, and then connect a cable to recharge another device?

Now that we're back on subject and @Musashi13 has gotten off his herbs from that other thread...:D...

Riding at night is, 'the f$#ken bomb', especially after 11:00 p.m.

I absolutely love it.

Getting home at 2:00 a.m. is priceless.

@xDOMx Let us know your thoughts on here once you've road tested her (preferably on a non-moon night), because I have my eye on this particular light.

Last edited:
I watched the Cateye movie but remain confused about one point. Perhaps you can clarify. Can I recharge my phone (or Garmin!) from the light unit itself, or do I have to remove the battery from the light, insert it in the adapter/charger, and then connect a cable to recharge another device?

It doesn't come with that battery as standard so I can't say unfortunately but it seems that the port is internal so perhaps not...

Now that we're back on subject and @Musashi13 has gotten off his herbs...:D...

I absolutely love it.

@xDOMx Let us know your thoughts on here once you've road tested her (preferably on a non-moon night), because I have my eye on this particular light.

Will do matey.

@D'Pioneer pics or it didn't happen.

What makes the internal routing so much better, inquisitive minds need to know?

New stem, too? Didn't know that was part and parcel of hulking your bars to ribbons. Is this just a matching thang?

I'm quite surprised you went back to Deda after they couldn't stand up to the job at hand, you're no Greipel, Degenkolb, or even a Voeckler so how does an amateur destroy pro parts?

(all friendly,like. No herb or malice intended:D)

@D'Pioneer pics or it didn't happen.

What makes the internal routing so much better, inquisitive minds need to know?

New stem, too? Didn't know that was part and parcel of hulking your bars to ribbons. Is this just a matching thang?

I'm quite surprised you went back to Deda after they couldn't stand up to the job at hand, you're no Greipel, Degenkolb, or even a Voeckler so how does an amateur destroy pro parts?

(all friendly,like. No herb or malice intended:D)

I have some internally routed Zipp (Vuka Sprint) bars and just find them a lot 'tidier'.

That being said, I'm not sure I'd go for them again personally as it is a pain for someone technically stunted to re-cable etc.

Somehow it gives me comfort to know, as I learned from my rehab girl today, that my doc for this summer's trauma/surgery/recovery, who is (her guess) 51, is going to be running a full marathon on the 10th.

There's a blurb or two around in the halls, saying he's interested in sports medicine (very sterile, hospital-like message board notices), and while I've been hugely satisfied with him and what he has done, this kind of post-hoc confirmation of his interests is really nice to hear about.

Now that we're back on subject and @Musashi13 has gotten off his herbs from that other thread...:D...

I absolutely love it.

Ages ago, like mid/late-70s, I rode nights. Completely unlit, and totally foolish, but no traffic and I could time some lights to get some really nice sprints in.

Ages ago, like mid/late-70s, I rode nights. Completely unlit, and totally foolish, but no traffic and I could time some lights to get some really nice sprints in.

We raced the road season in winter in Aus (and they still do, obviously), and it got dark at 4:15 p.m.

In my high school days, I'd finish school, walk home (45 mins), have dinner, and then head out for a 2-3 hour training session every night.

Through town, I was okay to ride with my piss-fart headlight under street lights.
As I got out of town, things were destined to get ultra dark and spooky.
Bicycle light technology in the mid eighties was non existent, the smartphones of today would blitz them for light thrown off on the display screen, so seeing potholes was impossible at night.

Every night as I approached the pitch black hills of the Tasmanian countryside a blinding light the likes of an alien spaceship would appear from behind me...right on cue!
That was my father with his car headlights on fullbeam, about to start his nightly, 'light up the road like it's daylight' sojourn.
With route and town exit time pre-arranged to the minute at the dinner table every night, he'd be there following me.

I used to love descending like a madman and putting the pressure on him to keep up.
I'm sure that was the highlight for him each night.

As I'd slink back into town and come under the safety net of the street lights, he'd fly past and give a toot on the horn, "Take it easy, ya bludger!"

Reminiscing...yes!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom