What's new

Today Today - October 2015

Played in the dirt today - one week before SSWC in Hakuba.
Bike seems dialed in and ready to go.

11139454_10153592315017808_463449263964749215_n.jpg

Off road brings you little Easter eggs the road riding rarely provides....

12106852_10153592314957808_2865902769900856521_n.jpg

Still not riding..., but spent last night over on you folks' side. Taxi'd about 10km up route 1 from Odawara to Hakone, and down the same way this morning. More cyclists today (15-20?) since it was earlier, I was looking but didn't see any TCC jerseys. That road is hugely busy (dangerous), but there were still people climbing it. On checking maps tho, maybe you can't avoid it.

My weekend function, before soaking up lots of sake and hot water, was doing "the walk" up to here:
P1000621 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Did Yatsugatake GranFondo yesterday. Day started at 8 degrees. Bit chilly but it warmed up as the day went on and the sun came out. This was my first time to do the full course as last year it was cut short due to the typhoon. Amazing weather for it yesterday though. Course has some fantastic views and is a lot of descending followed by going back up again. I lost my mates at the start hill which worked out as I took my own pace to our first regroup spot at the second aid station. I was feeling pretty strong so just blasting along at a good pace. Relaxed then waiting for my mates at each aid station thereafter. Strava link if interested...

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Last month I didn't venture outside my loungeroom on my bike. Did a bunch of 40 minute sessions indoors. Lots of stretching, plus going to a sports physio twice a week. End result.. Nothing, no change to my back problem. I'm pretty over it at this stage.

Sorry to hear that @theBlob. I'll keep the faith that you'll be back though. Must be someone else out there who has worked though this somehow.

Last month I didn't venture outside my loungeroom on my bike. Did a bunch of 40 minute sessions indoors. Lots of stretching, plus going to a sports physio twice a week. End result.. Nothing, no change to my back problem. I'm pretty over it at this stage.

On the one hand, sorry to hear that.

On the other (a bunch of 40 minute sessions??), consider yourself lucky--I haven't even been on a trainer.

And, to suggest heresy: Raise your bars & shorten your stem.

Well you have certainly got us all beat on the injury/recovery list. And I hope that you will be back to normal pain free life 8 and a half months after your injury. What I considered as a minor few days off has dragged on to an eternity with no end in sight. Frustrating to say the least.

At the moment I have the bike jacked up with blocks under the front wheel, I know the basic geometry hasn't changed but the angle of my back against gravity has.

On the one hand, sorry to hear that.

On the other (a bunch of 40 minute sessions??), consider yourself lucky--I haven't even been on a trainer.

And, to suggest heresy: Raise your bars & shorten your stem.

Went down to the Arakawa for a quick morning spin for the first time in a long time.
Speeds were well off usual but it was nice to get back out there. I was pleasantly surprised to see a few fast looking guys out riding down there.
It's at that strange time of year when I don't know whether to go out for a ride or a run.

How long has it been now mate? You must be pulling your hair out.
It might not help in the slightest but two of my mates back in England had bad backs and both said that hanging upside down from their feet was really helpful.
One of them used a bar that he put between his door frame. He then had strange boot things with hooks on them. He would swing up onto it and hook the hooks on the bar. At first he could only cope with about 30 seconds as the blood rushed to his head, but after a few weeks, he was up to about 10 min sessions.
My other mate is what one might call a tad portly. He wouldn't be able to swing up and hook his feet on the bar, so he bought a table that swivels around. It basically does the same thing but in a more controlled manner.
Not sure if this would help with your back at all but thought I would mention it.

I thought that was shaving cream for a minute there. Or perhaps whipped cream? My legs would look awesome though. Gonna have to do it at some point. I do like to see the hair stick out of my wool leg warmers in the winter. I'd miss that. Shaving will have to wait till spring me thinks.

Reactions: TCC
Saw one of these pacing along Yamate dori this morning on my way to work. He had a decent pace going up a small hill...
elliptigo-3c_Lp81S_69.jpg

An ar..hole did a hit and run on me during this morning commute by overtaking without giving any space. Luckily, he just hit my foot, so most of the damage has been borne by the shoe (and somewhat by the pedal). One microsecond it is "Whoa this guy's too close," the next I'm hit, and off he goes pretending not to have noticed anything, including my waving and yelling. Chance would have it that after too many close encounters such as this one, I bought a Sony AS100V action cam from @Andy in Tokyo just last week, intending to use it as a "drive recorder." After getting home I was able to identify the car from the video, and these shots and my report will be hitting J coppers tomorrow, for all that is worth (we'll see).

hit.jpg
run.jpg

An ar..hole did a hit and run on me during this morning commute by overtaking without giving any space. Luckily, he just hit my foot, so most of the damage has been borne by the shoe (and somewhat by the pedal). One microsecond it is "Whoa this guy's too close," the next I'm hit, and off he goes pretending not to have noticed anything, including my waving and yelling. Chance would have it that after too many close encounters such as this one, I bought a Sony AS100V action cam from @Andy in Tokyo just last week, intending to use it as a "drive recorder." After getting home I was able to identify the car from the video, and these shots and my report will be hitting J coppers tomorrow, for all that is worth (we'll see).

View attachment 12408
View attachment 12409

Jesus! Glad you weren't injured. Good job you bought that camera ;)

Yeah, that "paid off" sooner than I expected (on it's 4th day of use). A bit of discomfort in the foot, so will have it checked on Saturday, with eye on invoicing the said ars.hole

Back
Top Bottom