What's new

Today - October 2012

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Time for the October thread.

It was last year, on October 8, 2011 that I got my Bike Friday. I have cycled 6,700 km since that day, despite not having a commute (I work from home) and made many new friends :)

Been to see doctor. Ruled off bike for 3 to 4 weeks with, shall we say, a saddle related problem :eek:uch: That makes two Wiggle organised sportives entered, two missed through illness. Cherish your health people.

Sorry to hear of your health problems! You miss health more than anything when you don't have it :(

I went for some Palace loops with my son this morning, on his way to university. The 5 km around the palace seemed shorter than I expected. I think I saw Stefano, but we couldn't catch him. The first loop traffic was still light, but on the second and third loop rush hour traffic gradually picked up. It was great to get 42 km and some PRs in during the early morning.

Riding to work on my new pedals.

As ever when you get a new pedal system, it takes a while to get used to the engagement position / pressure.

Went to engage, pushed down, slipped forward and massively caned my Achilles tendon onto the back of the pedal. Can hardly walk. Agony!

Riding to work on my new pedals.

As ever when you get a new pedal system, it takes a while to get used to the engagement position / pressure.

Went to engage, pushed down, slipped forward and massively caned my Achilles tendon onto the back of the pedal. Can hardly walk. Agony!

That sucks. Hope nothing serious.

Great going, Joe! I've had tonsillitis the last few days - a real bugger. Happiness is having a kid in kindergarten, then you get to experience all the childhood (illnesses) yet again! On the otherhand - gives me time to fill some wheel building orders.

It was last year, on October 8, 2011 that I got my Bike Friday. I have cycled 6,700 km since that day, despite not having a commute (I work from home) and made many new friends :)

Well done,Joe.
Your ORANGE Bike Friday has already achieved legendary status in the annals of TCC.

Been to see doctor. Ruled off bike for 3 to 4 weeks with, shall we say, a saddle related problem :eek:uch: That makes two Wiggle organised sportives entered, two missed through illness. Cherish your health people.

Stanc,

So true,

I hope you are up and running,so to speak,ASAP!
Really,"Cherish your health."

After 4 days off with some bizarre health BS. I feel great after getting back to my normal early morning routine. The Sun coming up over Arakawa park, fresh morning air. Even exchanged passing pleasantries with a few of the wandering flesh eating zombies that reside in the marshes of Arakawa park and come out early morning with their dogs to forrage for discarded body parts to gnaw on. Aaaah!

Another 55km morning bit of a slower pace to get back into things 50km 1:32:26sec.

This afternoon I'll finalise my new rear wheel that I am getting from TIm.
Save my 38mm Tubular with 12/27 for the mountains from now on. Picking up a 60mm clincher that I will run an 11/25 for my morning TT work outs and longer Arakawa runs.

Great week training this week - but bleedin knackered!

Monday:

am: 45minute LT training -sustained power
pm: 45 minute LT training - Under-Over intervals.

Tuesday:

pm1: 45 High cadence low power (115 rpm+)
pm2: 30 minute recover ride
pm3: 50 minutes aerobic interval session (indoor trainer)
pm4: 30 minute active recovery

Wednesday:

Rest Day

Thursday:

pm: 45 minute Sprint Intervals

Friday:

am: 45minute LT training in the morning -sustained power
pm: 45 minute LT training - Under-Over intervals.

Fitted the new chain and rear wheel this morning.

photo9.JPG

I was surprised how much my old chain had stretched, maybe about 6-8mm over the length of the chain.

Now to go for a test ride!!!

An hour and a half on a bike, and a tad over 45 min in the pool...

That should definitely help with the shifting issues. I found that the new DA chain I'm using is already about 3mm stretched. Less than 1500km on it, by the way. Compared to the Ultegra chains which typically give me 3000km or so.

My own chain replacement schedule is roughly 2x a year. 'Winter Chain' and then 'Season Chain'. The winter chain gets a boiling in parrafin wax and due to the increased grime , grit , etc, will generally be worn and stretched by late spring - just in time for 'the season'. Then I just swap in a spanking new chain and honestly don't touch it with exception of wiping off the chain or hosing it clean (no detergent) until I swap in the 'winter chain'. The factory lube is fine and I 'might' touch it up with a drop of Bio Oil on each link if I'm feeling especially obsessive, but otherwise,this seems to give me the best overall, consistent performance.

Look foward to a ride report on the 'Big 60'. I found the Gator's to be a bit slower on the roll than the Evo's, GP 4000's or Ultremo - but they definitely last longer on the center tread!

Fitted the new chain and rear wheel this morning.

I was surprised how much my old chain had stretched, maybe about 6-8mm over the length of the chain.

Now to go for a test ride!!!

Nuff respect Joe!

Today, I have been mostly riding uphill. Ninomiya station (@ sea level) up Yabitsu toge, past the Big Chilli to route 35, followed that to Tsuru shi, over Doshi toge and climbed the rest of Doshi michi to Yamanakako (@ 1000 m).
Tomorrow, will ride past Kawaguchiko and over to Enzan, then hit the big climb to get to Okutama, then down to Ome.

Went out with my いちご mates.

Adjusted my cleats a bit, as I get used to my new pedals. A slight move forward of the shoe so the axle sat more under the joint of my toes and main foot made everything feel nice.

Have also been cutting a few things out my diet this week; no caffeine, no alcohol (been off that for a while anyway, but made a point of continuing), loads and loads of veg, no beef, and 4 litres of water a day. Feeling pretty good. First few days were a bit iffy, with the cessation of a load of bad stuff.

Anyway,

Off to Mt.Fuji tomorrow early doors. Big group ride with the locals. Nice.

Well, unless this rain keeps up, eh.

Look foward to a ride report on the 'Big 60'. I found the Gator's to be a bit slower on the roll than the Evo's, GP 4000's or Ultremo - but they definitely last longer on the center tread!

I went out for a quick blast this afternoon,

http://app.strava.com/rides/24122242

my feelings were this:

It felt a bit slower to spin up, and stiffer in the back end, so it made the bike feel a bit more "planted" on the road. Once up to speed, and giving it some it was very nice and felt easier to keep over 40km/h once there. When I eased off I could feel the momentum pushing on a bit more than the 38mm, it was like the wheel was letting me know it was ready for some more!! As a result it felt a bit easier to carry over small rises.

It makes a bit more noise, I guess the chamber inside resonates!

Overall very nice, I'm going to do a longer run down to the Arakawa river mouth with Ben tomorrow. So that should stretch it's (And my) legs a bit.

It felt a bit slower to spin up, and stiffer in the back end, so it made the bike feel a bit more "planted" on the road. Once up to speed, and giving it some it was very nice and felt easier to keep over 40km/h once there. When I eased off I could feel the momentum pushing on a bit more than the 38mm, it was like the wheel was letting me know it was ready for some more!! As a result it felt a bit easier to carry over small rises.

Exactly my experiences with deeper rimmed wheels! Good fun, aren't they!

2-1/2 hrs, started off in the rain, but it cleared off (or I rode out of it) after about an hour.

Went to bed at 9pm last night, woke up at 3am as planned. Was supposed to be off to Mt. Fuji.

It was hammering it down with rain.

Ate a Tuna sanwich, had a cup of tea, went back to sleep until 7am.

Decided to go out for couple of loops round the hood. Slippery as hell. Crashed.

Back
Top Bottom