What's new

Today - October 2010

Mike, are you also commuting on R246? We moved close to Mizonokuchi this month, and I have to state bluntly that R246 is the maddest road I ever had to take on a daily basis. Fast, but just mad.

Last Sunday I was targetted by a total nutter driving a company car who I seemed to have provoked in ways mysterious to me. He tried to push me into the curb, blocked me at red signals and hit the brakes twice right in front of me at 40kph. I wish I'd have had my digicam with me.

Good to know I'm not the only one out in that lunacy... :D

Cool vid, Mike, absolutely outstanding! And it looks awfully familiar, including all the swerving, cursing and swearing. :D

I usually hit R246 close to Futakotamagawa on the Kanagawa side. It's always an adventure to cross the bridge and reach the underpass. Seems you also use 40cm handlebars, they make it much easier to squeeze through. I'll be looking out for you.

- I want photochromic lenses (the ones that go dark when it's bright outside and clear when it's dark outside). It seems Oakley Japan don't sell these as a spare part, although they sell complete frame+lens products.
--HF Mike--

Yahoo Auction is your friend!!

Mike Chainreactioncycles.com sell Oakley's might want to check them out for sweet prices..... I had the same issue with the jawbones as well with looking behind but it lasted one ride pretty much...... In fact I think it went when I switched the nose peice from Japanese style to Western.

Still now Vatavooom this morning but Im climbing like a goat on crack due to the loss of 2kg and what seems like a better wattage output!

Still now Vatavooom this morning but Im climbing like a goat on crack due to the loss of 2kg and what seems like a better wattage output!

Good for you! I don't know what Vatavoom is, but I guess it is not what comes up with google. Although that would make for a red aerodynamic kit.

PS 100 posts, yeah!!!

Listen to the pobcast "The real Peloton" you'll learn lots of new words, but it basically means power or speed.

Also have to say that I'm eating so damn much at the moment

That's one of the beautiful benefits of cycling. If I ever became unable to climb on my bike, with my current eating I would become obese within weeks if not days...

Just out of interests and because you probably know this, what is your allowed calorie intake per day if you were just to keep your current weight?

My basic metabolic rate ie: how many calories I consume just being alive is 1604kcal per day.

With the current training and racing obligations my daily caloric intake to maintain weight and power is: 3369kcal per day

"Just out of interests and because you probably know this, what is your allowed calorie intake per day if you were just to keep your current weight? "

I'm no Carol Vorderman when it comes to calories but if you cycle a bit every day: 3 square meals, 4 cans of larger and some good old "tsumami" shouldn't affect your weight too much.

Input versus output. Ride more, eat more!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

With the current training and racing obligations my daily caloric intake to maintain weight and power is: 3369kcal per day

Thanks, and Andy, I share your thinking, eat as much as necessary because your body will tell you. But it's nice to have a number to throw around at cocktail parties and the like:cool:

Thank you to Phil for showing me around Chiba. Cycling Paradise indeed!
Lesser cars and trucks to fight with compared to Tokyo and the numerous hills are all great for a workout.

Hope to ride with you again upon my visit to Toke next time.:)

Utsunomiya, Nikko, Japan Cup etc.

What a great weekend.

Led the Half Fast Crew from Tokyo to Utsunomiya for gyoza and beer on Saturday, mostly via my 160km 80% riverside cycle path route. We got there an hour earlier than I'd anticipated, having had no mechanical troubles at all. Hooray! I rode in all seven of the Kanto Prefectures on Saturday.

We'd been unable to find accommodation in Utsunomiya because of of some stupid cycle race, but the wonderful Kelly arranged for a dirt-cheap lodge in Nikko. That's another 35 km up the road. Most of the gang took the train, but myself, GSAstuto and one other decided to ride.

Their pace was a bit much for me. But I got there in the end. Thanks, Tim, for hanging back.

Gatecrashed an onsen in Nikko, and then got drunk. Ice cool! Lots of tales from Tim of course; margarine and jalapeño peppers is apparently his favourite recipe for marinading himself on rainy days. Chap's gotta have a hobby I suppose.

Then Sunday we got up early, waited for ages for the lodge to get breakfast cooked (we think they had to threaten the chickens to provide enough eggs), and then headed back down the hill to watch the stupid cycle race thing.

normal_20101024-115649-utsunomiya-2010.jpg

That was fun. I've never been much of a spectator, but being there with my friends and lots of chocolate was a good morning's entertainment. Don't care who was riding or who won, really.

Photos up

Rode back part of the way home, and then caught the train from Koganei. Great weekend out.

--HF Mike--

I went fishing and had a BBQ with Yair and family. :D

nikko

Yeah, we ended up in Nikko too as our usual half-a-star hotel was fully booked weeks in advance. :confused: Has cycling gotten too popular...?

Well, at least this time I didn't buy a ticket to "see" the race. I imagine they were still charging a fee for hanging out near the start/finish? Will this catch on in Europe , I wonder? I can't imagine it happening, really.

In any case,the race itself was rather entertaining, quite a nice day out.:bike:

Thanks again to Mike and Kelly for organizing a superb outing! The weather couldn't have been better and it was a nice ride to stretch out on. After the J-Cup, Domenico, JD and I left early to have a lunch arranged by Domenico at the Grand Hotel in Utsunomiya. This was incredible and afterwards we made our way to the train back to Tokyo. Was tempted to ride back as well, but had some pressing biz matters - and as luck WOULD have it, the rain started - so we missed that! Got up early and feeling a bit woozy and dehydrated managed to kick out a short 'cleansing run'. Gotta remember to drink way more when its cold out!

Climbing today on 53-39 and 11-23..... sprinting my legs felt like lead (GOLD) but on the climbs........I was flying.

Back
Top Bottom