What's new

Today - November 2016

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Very rainy over on this side, wouldn't have been riding in it.

I'm getting more mobile. The artificial hip seems to be working fine, still doing rehab. I'm thinking I may be able to get back on a bike come spring, which is good since as of April 1st, I'll be retired. Probably some trainer time starting much sooner.

I got a good month of riding including a fun day of downhill mountain biking at Mt Fuji with only a cracked rib to show for it, and two cool rides in and near Manila, Philippines.

I doubt that I will exceed my 2015 total distance of 16,359 km by 31st December this year. No worries. Just having fun.

SafariScreenSnapz003.png

SafariScreenSnapz001.png

SafariScreenSnapz002.png

So over the summer I buy a sportful kit. XL in the bib and L in the shirt. Both are too small so i send them back Get a refund on the bib and an XL shirt which is a snug fit.
I like the shirt so I decide to invest in a light winter long sleeve shirt. So of course I order an XL, having learnt my lesson the first time.
The XL arrives the other day. Nice shirt, but guess what now i'm swimming in it. So it's going back.

Here's an novel idea sportful. Make your sizing equal across your clothing range. Idiots.

Rant over!

Last edited:
Waited 3 hours to see the surgeon for a 2-minute exam today. Says I can start running and cycling again, though I can't sleep through the night yet due to pain so I don't expect to be anywhere near 100%. Swimming is another couple of months away. Now to find out if hill repeats will drown out this shoulder pain.

Last edited:
Waited 3 hours to see the surgeon for a 2-minute exam today.
That's almost criminal. That person better be goooood in what they do.

I can't sleep through the night yet due to pain
That's horrible. And it's been, what, a month or more? Hope you get better soon mate!

I don't expect to be anywhere near 100%
Now may be the only time us mere mortals can ride with you, and stay close to you too :)

Having said that, I'm having a painful and swollen knee after heavy week of riding which culminated on Sat in 200km ride in Chichibu and back via Arakawa. A bit better today... Perhaps start commuting again tomorrow or on Wed?

That's almost criminal. That person better be goooood in what they do.

Supposedly one of the best around these parts. He was well keen on getting his knives in me, but seems less keen on follow-up chats. Probably a typical surgeon. Thanks for the concern though. I've been going pretty hard on recovery exercises so that could be part of the reason for the pain. His original estimate was back to cycling in 3 months, so I can't complain much about 1 month :)

I say rest the knee if possible for a couple of days so you will definitely be good for the weekend. Don't want to miss out on the best time of year for cycling. (Perhaps ibuprofen too if you have it.)

So I'm sitting in the Rapha cafe watching the criterium du Saitama while sipping an americano, the irony of it all seems lost on everyone but me.

Tried on a few jackets, balked at the price and decided to coffee was a better deal.

FFS, I should have bought the jacket and left. In the time it took me to order and drink a coffee the green suited gutter rats managed to give me a 10000y parking ticket...

So I'm sitting in the Rapha cafe watching the criterium du Saitama while sipping an americano, the irony of it all seems lost on everyone but me.

Tried on a few jackets, balked at the price and decided to coffee was a better deal.

I should have plonked my scooter in the bicycle parking spot and been done with it.

Update on my mission to get something from the crash replacement program of MET Helmets

A quick recap: I bought a MET Manta from bike24.de (Germany-based online shop) in July, and cracked it in a crash on Sep 22nd.

MET Manta crash replacement policy states:

CRASH REPLACEMENT SERVICE
CRASH REPLACEMENT PROGRAM
If your MET helmet is damaged in a bicycle accident within 2 years of the original date of purchase, MET proposes to replace it at a reduced cost. To receive advice of the exact cost of a new replacement helmet and information on how to proceed, contact the MET distributor of the country where you bought the helmet. Check our website to find the distributor contact in your country. The damaged helmet shall be sent to the distributor, freight prepaid, with a proof of purchase, a description of the accident and will be replaced with the nearest model in price, size and color available in the current product line. The crash replacement program is only valid once per purchased helmet.

I first contacted the MET distributor in Japan to ask about it. They said they would not do a crash replacement.
I then contacted MET Helmets directly to ask who should do my crash replacement. MET then contacted the distributor in Japan, telling them I should really be contacting the distributor in Germany. MET also replied to me saying to ask the distributor in Japan if they would make an exception.
The distributor in Japan (Intermax) quickly sent me a message quoting what MET told them - that I should really be contacting the distributor in Germany.
In the meantime, I had already contacted the German distributor anyway, who told me to contact the Japanese distributor.
I also contacted bike24.de, who told me to just send the helmet to the German distributor.
So I tried contacting the German distributor again to tell them what MET Helmets said, and to confirm whether they would do the crash replacement for me if I sent the helmet. No reply to first and follow-up email after 2 weeks.

To be continued...?

Shouldn't the note be, if you buy a MET helmet, be sure to buy it in Japan? :p

@GrantT how much did you pay for it originally? Will it even be worth sending it back to Germany, I would imagine you would have to pay both shipping as well no?

@saibot
About 21,000, and from what I've read online the crash replacement program is good for around 50% off, so might be worth sending it back even including shipping. If they don't reply to my emails though there's no point.

Yes, the take home is if you want crash replacement for a MET Helmet buy it inside Japan from an "official distributor" (see quote taken from Intermax email to me below).

Intermax said:
国内正規代理店を通して購入されたものであれば適用は可能です。

I say rest the knee if possible for a couple of days so you will definitely be good for the weekend. Don't want to miss out on the best time of year for cycling.
Indeed, the best time! Just the right temperatures, and dry! However, after the knee did not get better even after 3 days off commuting I went to a large hospital today to have it checked. In hindsight, it was probably a waste of time and money. The DR wanted to drain the swelling, and kept stabbing and poking with his fat needle around there and just made it worse (without being able to get any liquid out of there). At least the X-ray showed no bone damage, and tendons/sinews etc. around there seem to be fine too. So they actually have no idea what it is, and have taken blood sample to test in about a week?! I'll give it a rest until the weekend and hope to at least do a "recovery ride" or something on Sat/Sun... It really sucks when these things keep you off your bike

Back
Top Bottom