What's new

Today Today - November 2015

Very nice little impromptu leg stretcher this morning with a few of the lads. Good pace with everyone sharing the work. It's the first time in a long time that I've times myself up Shiraishi. My legs have been like lead all week so I was just enjoying the climb. Felt like I had no power and my speed didn't really change when I stood up on the pedals but I was reasonably happy with the results. Hopefully next time will be much better. Hopefully we'll plan the next ride much earlier so we have time to post it on the forum.

IMG_2276.JPG

The return spring on my TM-1 snapped today, with no warning. It made a massive BANG! when is snapped, and the broken off bit flew and hit my TV very hard and fast, putting a scratch on the screen. I knew it was flying fast, as the initial snapping sound, and the noise of it hitting the TV happened almost at the same time, and my TV is about 2 metres away from where I was working. Very (very) lucky that nobody else was there, sitting opposite me when this happened, or this could have ended in a blinding / other serious injury.

I immediately sent all this info to Park Tool, and am awaiting their reply.

Not saying that there is anything wrong with the design, and this might be a one-off, but if any of you have this tool, please check out the return spring very closely for signs of metal fatigue / cracking, etc., before you use it again.

Will update when I get a reply from Park Tool.

Oh yeah, and it turns out that noise that was coming from my cassette when in the first two gears, was the start of a cracked cassette.

Took the cassette off for its daily cleaning, and noticed one of the rivets had shifted over. Lent on it with a chain whip, and the cog visibly flexed away from the carrier frame.

LOLz.

Might have to start a dedicated thread listing all the stuff I have broken. It is getting to be extensive.

Is it a CS-9000 cassette with a carbon spider body? There's a big thread about their faulty design on weight weenies

Is it a CS-9000 cassette with a carbon spider body? There's a big thread about their faulty design on weight weenies

Yeah it is one of them, but the ones with the (recognised) faulty design were the first batch. This one I broke is one of the updated versions. I did also actually crack one of the original ones too, back in 2013, and posted about that when it happened. No-one believed my claims of a faulty design then, until Shimano updated the cassette. Same thing with the shifter cable problem on the original 9000 shifters that I found, posted about, and then everyone just told me I had installed the cables wrong. And then Shimano went and sneak-updated the shifters.

The original 9000 cassettes cracked in the second cluster (which sits on a nylon carrier, not carbon...) I cracked the original cassette there. This new version I cracked, broke in the first cluster (the largest and second largest cogs) which sits on an aluminium carrier.

DSC_0601.JPG Nothing like a rainy afternoon for some bike building!

Second new bike in two weeks!

Not a new bike really. My old Vitus frame rebuilt for the 3rd or 4th time. No new parts either. So many old parts. Enough to build another. Just need another frame...

I've always loved this frame. Aluminium. XL compact if that makes sense? Tall but with a short wheelbase. The front wheel touches your toes. The rear wheel almost kisses the seat tube. A comfortable but aggressive ride.

Most of my best rides were on this bike in years gone by. Now it's a spare and perhaps a permanent set up on the rollers for winter...

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

I wish it was mine! I've got a hammer and a Raleigh multitool that I got with my Grifter in '83!

This is the local bike shop. I do all of my work here. Not that I'm that skilled. I just do what I can. All the tricky stuff I just cry for help...

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/timeDSC_0599.JPG

that's a snapped bottle cage bolt and a front derrailleur drilled and screwed into the seat tube right there...

Cool. I have decided to take it back to the plates this winter. Going to hench up by about 2kg of muscle I reckon.

Deadlifts and bench like a madman

I know you know your stuff but

Weight Training for Cyclists: A Total Body Program for Power & Endurance

is a good starting point for anyone thinking of having a try.

I've been doing it for a few years now. Some years more seriously than others.

Mix it up to keep it interesting and all that...

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Muscle bulking during the off season, now that's great advice if you want to be an all-round rider (hillz, flatz n' TTing). :tup

Muscle bulking during the off season, now that's great advice if you want to be an all-round rider (hillz, flatz n' TTing). :tup

Not bulking up so much. Just doing a load of deadlifts to further increase power. Doing that will inevitably end up with a bit of weight gain, in the form of muscle., so a 2kg target on that seemed reasonable.

Come down the gym if you want mate! We can go as nuts in there as we do on the rides. Haha.

@D'Pioneer Love hitting the weights (force reps n' all that stuff ), however I won't need to this winter, def next.

Warrior!

conanmovie.jpg[/USER]

Last edited:
Away from sexism...

Castelli or GripGrab for overshoes and (thinner) gloves?

They come out at roughly the same price and, being someone attracted to Scandi products, I am drawn to GripGrab (given that they're Danish).

However, not 100% sure and so looking for anyone with personal experience of the brands.

Links below:

CASTELLI (GLOVES)
CASTELLI (OVERSHOES)(3mm neoprene)
GRIPGRAB (GLOVES)
GRIPGRAB (OVERSHOES)(2mm neoprene)

Away from sexism...

Castelli or GripGrab for overshoes and (thinner) gloves?

They come out at roughly the same price and, being someone attracted to Scandi products, I am drawn to GripGrab (given that they're Danish).

However, not 100% sure and so looking for anyone with personal experience of the brands.

Links below:

CASTELLI (GLOVES)
CASTELLI (OVERSHOES)(3mm neoprene)
GRIPGRAB (GLOVES)
GRIPGRAB (OVERSHOES)(2mm neoprene)
If you are going to be doing a lot of riding this winter, I would definitely recommend getting some decent winter shoes rather than overshoes. Overshoes are a pain in the arse to put on every morning. I got some shimano shoes really cheap at the ys road clothes shop in shinjuku.

Back
Top Bottom