What's new

Today Today - November 2015

Conrad

Maximum Pace
Dec 8, 2014
Went for a spin to Tsuru Pass with some super cool crew from Half Fast on Sunday. It was a great route and thanks to Francois for organizing it. It was my first time to climb Tsuru and I'll definitely be going back. We had a challenging climb, a fast descent and then some hairy moments when the car travelling directly in front of me lost it's left rear wheel! The wheel went careening off into a nearby field, the drum brake housing went in the opposite direction and came to rest in the middle of the opposite lane. The car itself came to a grinding halt as the axle hit the road. Thankfully no-one was hurt and after checking that the driver was okay we continued on.
I ended up taking this route home and totally recommend it, not much traffic and a few charming lost-in-time villages. Route:

Tsuru Pass1.jpg
Tsuru Pass2.jpg

Peter Sagan posted a flagrant shill photo on Instagram today of him and his Dorris in jeans tagged with the maker's name so I unfollowed him. That'll learn him. I hope his other 241,000 followers take note of my action and he cries himself to sleep tonight.
He might be world champ and a top banana bike handler but he ain't so media savvy.

Peter Sagan posted a flagrant shill photo on Instagram today of him and his Dorris in jeans tagged with the maker's name so I unfollowed him. That'll learn him. I hope his other 241,000 followers take note of my action and he cries himself to sleep tonight.
He might be world champ and a top banana bike handler but he ain't so media savvy.

Matey needs a media manager quite badly...

Having said that, Cav, Froome, etc are super popular but their Instagram/Twitter profiles are quite dull.

Was kinda bummed I couldn't join the Nichitsu halloween ride due to other commitments, so I decided to do the HFC version of the ride on Sunday.
Finally dragged my SO out into the cold, so we went at a decent touristy pace.

The descents were colder than expected, fingers and toes were dying, but the autumn colors and good company made it all worth it.
10/10 would go on this date again.

first time up there so I found the 2 no light tunnels creepy as F. had fun screaming our way in and out those. (more pics &gopro footage to follow if I get any urge to edit.)

Mw9xmFP.jpg

Do1ZclH.jpg

Last edited:
what do you mean: ?!

I was looking forward to this ride TOMORROW? Was it rescheduled for Sunday instead of Tuesday as originally planned? Will there be a HFC Nichitsu ride tomorrow at all? @macrophotofly ?

Sorry for the confusion.
I meant that we took the train to seibu Chichibu and used the HFC route. I just did the loop as macrophotofly posted on the HFC mailing list bulletin. I wasn't out with HFC this time.

I just did the loop as macrophotofly posted on the HFC mailing list bulletin. I wasn't out with HFC this time.
OK, thanks for clearing it up. I got a bit worried there for a sec. I hope it will be passable tomorrow too, after all the downpour today!

Yesterday, I went out for my first postpartum ride under the perfect autumn weather, and loved it.
Very glad I didn't decide to hibernate this season and postpone the restart to next spring.

My last proper TCC ride was the Otsuki 4.5 (or 3.5) on Nov. 24th 2014, which I still recall the stunning views especially the evening twilights of Kamihikawa descend. After that, I did continue to commute on my hybrid but had refrained from riding on my road bike aside from climbing the Sadamine for our Wedding Cup this spring.

Aron did some tuning of my bike while I was making a big deal out of my two hour ride and annoying him with silly questions such as whether or not to wear shoe covers, the stroopwaffles being a good energy snack, etc.
Then I dusted off everything from head to toe, or from the helmet to cleat covers, prepared myself, fed the baby, and left the house.

Just up and down the Arakawa, but was enough to bring the joy of riding to mind.
There will surely be some changes in the style, but I'd like to keep it up simply to be myself.

I've been trying to relax and 'let it be' on the roads (principally Route 246) on my commute. I realise most drivers are utter thickos and no amount of remonstration or attempted re-education on my part will make a blind bit of difference. The police just stand there, blow their whistles in time with the lights, and don't do sh!t, so why should they care. "Candy Crush won't play itself while I'm drinking to work."

"It's only a bit red. Three or four more cars won't hurt."

It could be worse. My colleague was driving through Shinjuku yesterday when someone succeeded in suicide by jumping off a tall building and landed right beside his car. So far I have been spared that.

Had a day off the bike today as my legs have felt like lead since I got a mild bout of food poisoning last Friday. Not sure who's legs I have at the moment but they aren't mine. If anyone sees mine while out and about, could you let me know.
Anyone else had a similar experience?

Asaren with my mate this morning. Without him I wouldn't ride in the dark in November. Especially not in the mountains!

He's still flying so I'm struggling at the end. He has to be home by 7. I have an extra hour so go exploring.

I'm delighted to find an old gravel rindo linking the mountains and the sea has been paved over. A tough climb over the pass at November pace...

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

DSC_0458.JPG DSC_0463.JPG DSC_0472.JPG

Out with the saturday crew this morning. Pace was fairly brisk. I said goodbye to them at the conbini and headed back for home. Sitting on decent pace home. It was my first ride at that pace in a looong time, first time to get home and need to lie down in a long time. First time to grimace when my kids jump on my legs in a long time. It's all good news.

This total prick nearly killed me today.

Standard behaviour; I was riding along the road, in a straight line. He came from the rear, and over took me without moving out at all. I actually think he moved in slightly.

Caught up with him at the lights and asked him what he was playing at. He got agro with me and started telling me I should not be on the road and it was "shoganai". Then started spouting off about this being Japan, etc etc. Fucking cock.

I gave up trying to reason with him, turned round and let him drive on first. Ha, he actually tried to get me to go first as I was moving away from his window. Nice try you dickhead.

image.jpeg

He came from the rear, and over took me without moving out at all.
I get this often too. I'm beginning to think we should just ride down the very center of the car lane, leaving them to overtake when it's safe to do so as they would another car, and until then just suck it up and wait. Getting taken out from behind would be completely the fault of the driver, and at every class etc. it is emphasized that enough space must be given but there are still so many blockheads not realizing they could ruin their own lives (not to speak of us cyclists) in seconds driving like they do...

I've done this for several years, and I highly recommend. I have read about this strategy long ago and I think it is the safest and a law abiding one. As we are also considered vehicle we should behave like one! Every time that the road doesn't have a safe space on the side, go to the middle it will keep you safe and avoid smart guys trying to push over.

This sh*t happens to me every day on the bike.

As we are also considered vehicle we should behave like one!
I am in total agreement with that. @Bruno BQ

We used to ride two abreast to eliminate drivers taking chances passing us, and it worked.
If they gave us sh%t we'd just wave enthusiastically at them as if they were our best mates, if they reacted badly to that... well... then they had double the trouble to contend with and it was NOT a pretty sight.
DEFINITELY, ride a wide line to make them slow down and negotiate you.

I don't take people threatening my life lightly, never have done and never will do.
Actually, I've learnt that the best solution for me is to stay off crowded roads, then you may only occasionally meet the odd DH.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom