What's new

Today Today - November 2014

5 deg C and raining today so took hack west past Mont Saint Michel. Wore fleece long bibs and at coffee stop I looked like I was on fire, all the steam coming off my legs. Afterwards came to first climb up to view point and heard that all to often noise ( with these light weight spokes) ping as another one snapped. By the time I got to the top the wheel was so out of true that it was rubbing the brakes. Stopped and even with the brakes fully adjusted it still would touch. Time for home :(. Shortest distance home meant using some busy ish main roads so risked it for about 10kms then used side roads. Going to ask LBS to change all the spokes on rear wheel to normal non waisted spokes.

Last edited:
Nice to get back out on the fat tyres over the weekend. I was out early enough to avoid most of the hikers, and the trails were in superb condition.

IMG_0539[1].JPG

The wife and kid are away this Saturday all day so I'm looking at riding either the three sisters. Am thinking of riding the train to Takao and hitting Wada east, down Wada west and potentially climbing back up the west side before descending again and onto that onsen rindo climb followed by Odarumi back to Takao and either take the train or ride home. Still mulling it around in my head. Boob ride also looks attractive as does Yabitsu (never been). Anyone thinking of similar adventures?

I rode to work on Monday, and I rode back. I rode to work yesterday, and I rode back. I rode to work today, and I'm about to ride back. I don't much like the combination of cold and wind, and what worries me is that, even by Tokyo standards, it isn't cold at all: I tremble when I think of February. Nobody has doored me or otherwise attempted to kill me. Today somebody overtook me on one of the hillocks en route though he was sitting upright on a mountainish bike; I felt less miserable when I noticed that it was electrically assisted.

Memo to self: Never mind the hillocks!

I'm enjoying a pair of not-for-cycling long pants I bought a couple of years back from Lyudmila Levovna Bean but then forgot all about till rediscovering them this week.

What a bathetic turn for this previously proud but recently sparse thread. You must have done better than me today: let's hear about it!

What a bathetic turn for this previously proud but recently sparse thread. You must have done better than me today: let's hear about it!

No, nothing today, so you're not so bathetic...

Some minor riding on my outlook for tomorrow.

The major need is that I need to swap tires on my road bike (to the trainer tire), ride it to work, set it up on the trainer, and then catch a ride home with someone coming back towards home.

Had a busy 4 days doing average 108kms / day so trying not to do anything today but its b--dy hard to sit down and not get out there......:confused::confused:

Hit the gym today and my membership there ends at the end of this month so did an extra hard session and a few extra minutes in the sauna. Weekly weigh in tomorrow and I think I've hit a plateau. -12kgs since Aug 22....hope to get out more on the bike but the chill has kept me in the car recently.
Will see if I can rectify that tomorrow or Friday. Heard there maybe some rain tomorrow... hope not.

As the temps drop, it's harder for me to get out on the bike.

60km in the last three days but my legs are surprisingly feeling very good with no sign of pain or stiffness. They usually shout at me after giving them a beating.

As the temps drop, it's harder for me to get out on the bike.

60km in the last three days but my legs are surprisingly feeling very good with no sign of pain or stiffness. They usually shout at me after giving them a beating.

Sounds like you need to go shopping for some winter kit:

tumblr_lqkaa0cc7Z1r25534o1_500.gif

stooooooooopid surprise rain... Debating whether to cycle commute home or not. Leaning on the not side.

I'm going to cycle home, because I'm stupid. Also because my journey will be less than 20 km.

PS Got home, arriving not even slightly dead. On the way, saw one bloke riding a bike with bullhorn handlebar and rear baggage rack (odd combination, that) attempting to ride while somehow clenching the handle of a cheap umbrella between jawbone and shoulder.

Last edited:
No rain here, about 38km today. And the weekend is looking good.

First time this season that I went out wearing my dhb Vaeon Zero bib tights with heattech long johns. They felt a little warm before sunset, but just right after sunset.

IMG_9482.JPG

I headed to Yomiuriland for some hill repeats.

IMG_9483.JPG

I only did three repeats before heading back home again.

IMG_9487.JPG

The weather forecast is looking nice for the weekend. I'll probably do a long ride somewhere on Sunday :)

Last edited:
Today did coast ride (no real climbs) as it said 12 deg C but with the wind chill it felt more like 3 deg C. The wind was quite strong as my neighbours electric wind turbine was a blurr spining so fast.

I cycled to work and back Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Which really is no big deal, but it's a first and it adds up to a greater distance than I'd ride either today or tomorrow if I had the day free, which I don't.

I wasn't doored or even shouted at even once, and didn't even mind getting soaked on Thursday night. It was all fairly pleasant. (I even got rid of a gruesome earworm that spoiled my ride last weekend. Though I shouldn't complain; this would have been worse.) But I do miss reading in the train. (I'm lucky in location for public transport: unless there's been a suicide or similar, I'm guaranteed a crush-free ride all the way even during the peak of the rush hour, and I can also be sure of a seat for at least half the distance.)

Today and tomorrow I have filial duties involving manual labour (gulp!). Recuperation might require much of Monday.

Quick 50km spin down the left bank of the Arakawa this morning. So far the construction work on that side is pretty light: there's a short detour a few Ks before the river mouth, but it's all nicely tarmaced and very wide, so not a problem at all.

Last edited:
Some paragliders:

shishikukogen november.jpg

Attachments

• hakusan november.jpg
    hakusan november.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom