Today - November 2011

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
((Totally non-cycling, apart from being inspirational, but we saw a great Clapton/Winwood show earlier tonight. I think they'll be in Tokyo next week.))

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
I've had enough of worrying if my Android phone battery would last long enough to track my longer bike rides and mountain hikes via the MapMyRide app and got myself an external Li-ion battery. It holds 5000 mAh and was JPY 2,380 including shipping (at Amazon JP). The battery is about the size of the phone (1 cm shorter but 1 cm wider). With the phone hooked up to the external unit's USB port, the run time of my apps should quadruple, assuming the quoted capacity is genuine.

Now I just have to train so my legs last as long as the battery :D

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
I've had enough of worrying if my Android phone battery would last long enough to track my longer bike rides and mountain hikes via the MapMyRide app and got myself an external Li-ion battery. It holds 5000 mAh and was JPY 2,380 including shipping (at Amazon JP). The battery is about the size of the phone (1 cm shorter but 1 cm wider). With the phone hooked up to the external unit's USB port, the run time of my apps should quadruple, assuming the quoted capacity is genuine.

Now I just have to train so my legs last as long as the battery :D
I have the same problem with my iPhone, and I bought an Li-ion batter stick that holds two double AA rechargeable batteries, it really does help with run time, but not nearly as much as the one you got, but I can buy AA regular batteries at a combini and it will charge the iPhone from them too but not as long as the Li-on rechargeable.

I'm going to put 26" wheels on my Mixer 8 that I use for trailer tugging duties, so I can fit some fatter tyres, and when I build the wheels, I'm going to put a Dynamo hub up front and run my lights etc from that, and I'm thinking of getting one of the doodads that I can attach to the dynamo hub and then charge my iPhone and run my lights too. If this is successful, then I might build a dynamo front wheel for my Lrrb bike too.

Cheers!

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
It is still too warm in Tokyo to wear my wool cycling tights from Canada to do deliveries around the area....

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
I'm going to put 26" wheels on my Mixer 8 that I use for trailer tugging duties, so I can fit some fatter tyres, and when I build the wheels, I'm going to put a Dynamo hub up front and run my lights etc from that, and I'm thinking of getting one of the doodads that I can attach to the dynamo hub and then charge my iPhone and run my lights too.
I found this supplier for dynamo hubs and complete wheels with hubs with a lot of info. Looks like the dynamo hubs weigh about 600-700g, not sure how much more that is than a standard hub (my battery weighs 150g). I guess weight will not really be a priority for you when pulling a trailer.