What's new

Today - November 2011

We had temaki for dinner... (our usual Friday fare)

((and the good part is that I had a late lunch so there's quite a bit of fish left over for breakfast. usually done up with garlic and a bit of onion, a big splash of water to keep it wet, maybe some shiitake and sun-dried tomatoes along the way, along with a veggie or two that might have been hiding in the bottom of the fridge, and a good shot of lemon at the end. salt & pepper to taste (not all in that order, the leftover fish added last...) ))

john d.

I seem to have passed 1,000 posts on TCC without noticing. Hope my signal-to-noise ratio has been bearable so far.

After yesterday's outing with the speed merchants it would have been so easy to jump on the BMW. But I managed to get the legs working and cycle to work and back, albeit without a spring in my step. Also borrowed a pipe cutter from the office workshop to shorten my slightly-too-long Thompson seat post.

On the way home I delivered a relatively calm fire-and-brimstone lecture to a kei-van driver who was on his phone and trying to read the map to his delivery destination while driving, missing me by millimeters... in the bus lane. "Keep driving like that and you will cause an accident, and then you will be in deep doo-doo" seems to reach more J-motorist neurons than "You are a terrible driver and you scared the crap out of me." Kaizen.

Breakfast with Steve Jobs ghost, oh wow! Then waited around for Japanese 'powered by micros$ft' customs to finally let my products go and deliver them kindly just in time to schlep everything to Cyclemode. Looks to be a very busy weekend coming with not much time for riding, sadly. But hopefully I can snag some laps on the minidrome or at least the Goldsprints thingy they have going...

After yesterday's outing with the speed merchants

Ah, come on! The only person more capable of leading us out was at home fiddling with his CAAD10.

We could not have done it without you.

Honestly mate, brilliant lead out. Thanks.

Ah, come on! The only person more capable of leading us out was at home fiddling with his CAAD10. We could not have done it without you. Honestly mate, brilliant lead out. Thanks.
Welcome. I only recently realized the important difference between "leader" and "navigator". They don't have to be the same person. And neither need be the fastest rider.

Today: replaced rear derailleur; stripped, cleaned, inspected and reassembled crankset; nervously did some trimming of titanium couplers; wax on wax off. Hopefully all this will sort out the squeaking and dodgy shifting.

This year when I started out cycling I was still recovering from skin cancer, and I had only my old Cannondale MTB. I decided that I'd try for 3000 Km on the bike for the year, I had no idea if I could do that or not. Today, I broke that 3000 Km mark, and I've got most of two months left to add to it.

0c00013c.jpg

I know this is not a lot of miles for most of you, but for me, this year, I'm quite pleased with myself, 3000+Km done, and I've got the Charge Mixer 8 for my trailer tugging duties and the Lrrb for my longer rides.

Thanks to one and all on this board that have helped me out this year, I hope to do even more miles next year.

Cheers!

Excellent!

Stu--3k is wonderful for the extreme weight you pull.

(also check your PMs in a day or few, I'll be in your neighborhood in a couple weeks and would like to say hello.)

Me--Just under 11 hours' activity for the week, 224km, five rides & three swims.

Unfortunately, it's been raining since about noon, and looking like more of the same for the coming days.

Stu--3k is wonderful for the extreme weight you pull.

(also check your PMs in a day or few, I'll be in your neighborhood in a couple weeks and would like to say hello.)

Me--Just under 11 hours' activity for the week, 224km, five rides & three swims.

Unfortunately, it's been raining since about noon, and looking like more of the same for the coming days.

Thanks!

I welcome visits!

Highlight of yesterday..... having a chat with Fumiya Beppu about the Japanese racing scene and ways to promote and develope it.

img1373s.jpg

Great guy.... we even compared recent crash wounds LOL

I rode my 4 week old bike from Sakuragaoka, Setagaya-ku to Tabata-shin-machi, Kita-ku via the Imperial palace and back via Shinjuku, my first crossing of Tokyo (48 km), only 4 km short of Tamagawa to Arakawa.

In a way I feel like when I had bought my first car and was still getting familiar with driving. Riding there with the taxis, buses, motorbikes and cars instead of on small backstreets or on sidewalks takes some getting used to.

Besides exercise the purpose was to visit Amanda Sports, the Bike Friday dealer where I had done my test ride a year ago. I brought cake for Mr Chiba, the owner and got a small gift in return, very Japanese :D

I bought a bike bag (Ostrich ChibiRin) to take my new bike on trains to be more flexible about where and when to ride.

I went to Cycle Mode on Sunday. Lot's of beautiful bikes and parts and accessories. I was helping my friend look for a new bike, but unfortunately most of the displays were of really expensive carbon frame road bikes (or hybrids, MTBs, folding, etc.). It was a good starting point though.

I got to take a Ridley (a bit too small for me) for a test spin around the indoor track, too.:D

Unfortunately, I didn't see anyone from TCC (or more likely I don't know what anyone looks like and didn't go up to any gaijin and strike up a conversation).:eek:

I'm loving cycling:D:D

My legs are getting stronger, My endurance getting longer, Hit a 32km/hr moving average for the first part of my journey home (8km/ ome kaido) with a flat road max of 46km/hr:cool:
And a trip average of 29.9km/hr. Just a little more till I'm over the 30km trip average.

Not much for you guys but an achievement for me.:) Made all teh better because my initial knee problems are no longer bothering me and my recovery times are getting quicker!! yippee!!

Looking forward to getting off the MTB and onto a my road bike (once it's ready:thumb:)

Well, I guess put me down in the wuss category--no way I can do 30 or 30+ over any reasonable distance, such as...

I thought this, last week was a pretty good overall time, but maybe not... :( (the first and last 5km of that are thru town, the middle 20km is on a cycle path or pretty much uninterrupted)

I don't have the HRM attachment for my 500, so I'm not sure--and I doubt--that I'm really pushing that that high.

I thought this, last week was a pretty good overall time, but maybe not...
Of course it is.

Relatively uneventful commutes today.

My Tacx T1100 rollers arrived from Wiggle. 900 yen import duty to pay. So ¥30,299 vs. not even available in Japan yet. Still in the box. Wonder how much I'll really use them. Will have to see what happens when it rains!

Changing the subject...

It's wonderful to be able to combine work and hobby once in a while.

This weekend I'm going to be meeting up on the road with a young British adventuress, Sarah Outen. Sarah started from London in April, and is making her way around the world entirely by pedal and paddle. 222 days in, and she's approaching Tokyo. I'll be riding with her on Friday (rain :() in Ibaraki/Chiba, Sunday (hopefully), and finally on Monday as she hits central Tokyo.
:happy::happy::happy:

If anyone is interested in joining us, PM or e-mail me and I'll let you know what's happening. It won't be fast riding, as Sarah is carrying all her round-the-world luggage on her expedition bike, Hercules. But it should be interesting. Also hoping to have her come along to the January 11th HFC meeting at the Pink Cow.

Just finished a 94km loop to Sagamiko hills and back by onekan with a single short stop after Makime toge - such a pleasure to ride in today's fresh and crispy morning air!

PB091699_small-1.jpg

Up & down some today, not my usual. On the tourer--don't know if I could still do that kind of climbing on my road bike, even with a triple. Water crossing the road in a few places, and was worried about opening up on the way down and losing it on a curve covered in wet leaves. (down was chilly, too)

on edit: And garmin, with elevation gain enabled it says 1628m gain, disabled it says 999m. Hmm....

Broke a chain today on my commuter, 10km into my 13km commute. Had to abandon ship, run, managed to get a bus, ran some more and managed to make it to work just in time. The 13km walk home was tedious.

Back
Top Bottom