What's new

Today Today - March, 2014

Nice looking bike, but I can't help but feel your rear brake line is set up wrong. That's an incredibly long way around to get the job done and wondering why the brake line wasn't run down the rear stay?

Would you mind posting some photos of the seatpost tube, cable guide and other areas that involve the rear brake line?

I thought so too, but I can't think of a better way to do it. The guy who built the frame gave me that particular cable stop, so I guess that's how he intended it to be done. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
It seems to work pretty smoothly though.
stays.JPG

please take a better photo of the cable stop - very hard to see but I can tell you now that you aren't getting the best performance from your cantilever brakes due to the angle of the anchor cable.

Some thing like this mounted to the actually seat post tube is going to be a better option and give you the clearance and angles needed if you decide in the future to mount a rack or panniers on the back:

58119.jpg

That will make the cable line even worse. Would have thought going under the top tube then around or through the seat tube would be best...

Like this...

staysnew.png

Or drill the seat stay bridge, mount a standard road brake and be done with it. :)

Last edited:
Or the frame maker should have angled the brake bosses...

I might try to rig something up that I can clamp to the seat stays. It shouldn't be too hard.
I'm going to take it in to the builder to show him the finished bike some time soon, so I'll get his opinion on it then.
Any goofiness in the design is probably my fault. The bike was originally designed with caliper brakes in mind, and I only requested canti bosses at the very last minute for a little extra tire and fender clearance.

Edit: I guess I could switch to V brakes too. Is there any reason (aside from fashion and having to change the brake levers) not to do that? I got those cantilever brakes for free, so no big loss.

Last edited:
Edit: I guess I could switch to V brakes too. Is there any reason (aside from fashion) not to do that?

None at all, actually propably more stopping power but ask the builder as if your seat stays are a little thin (they look fine though), they will flex more with v brakes.

None at all, actually propably more stopping power but ask the builder as if your seat stays are a little thin (they look fine though), they will flex more with v brakes.

Love the look of the bike - I agree that maybe the builder thought you were using V brakes - one thing I note is your brake levers look to high around the curve - if you are comfortable in that position who am I to say but think should be more around the bend downwards.

Don't know if anyone has noticed, but there's already a typhoon #3 spinning way out there:

1403-00.png

That will make the cable line even worse. Would have thought going under the top tube then around or through the seat tube would be best...

Like this...

View attachment 937

Or drill the seat stay bridge, mount a standard road brake and be done with it. :)

Owen He would mount the cable stop on the actual frame not the seat post - thus why I said seat post tube not "Seat post" and the fact the angle of the cable line can be adjusted with the one I posted will offer a solution that actually works.

The image you posted is spot on and the exact line the brake line needs to take.

In regards to the hoods - purely ergonomic, each rider is different and find the hoods more comfortable in different positions, I guessing the rider is going to spend 99% of his time on the tops or in the hoods so really its all about comfort for the rider.

Amazing stuff, Quixx. I drink some every time I stagger out of the White Swallow sauna, to erase the memories...

In other news, this is what I am currently dealing with (and no, you unfunny 0/10 humour vacuum, whoever you might be, I am obviously not referring to anything else in the picture other than the box on the right hand side. 'Hahaha, I know, I will make a totally beige comment about the guy in the background, ignoring what is clearly the focus of the photo, like they do in the comments section of JapanToday. It will be hilarious'. It won't. Just leave it. It is only Wednesday, for Gods' sake.)

And after meeting my amusing mate yesterday, and getting onto the subject of photography with him, I have decided not to document the building process, "you don't need a camera, Owen. Cameras are for benders. Just remember it.". Haha.

Evo.jpg

Oh for god sake, those last two are not even in focus. It is clear that you have been swallowed up by some big corporations marketing campaign.
On a technical side, All that bokeh will have fucked up the frame and that sun spot will have ruined the cabling. You might as well throw the entire thing in the trash. It's ruined.

...Turns out the guy cabling it up for me has decided to photograph the procedure for me, so I don't need to bother.

Last edited:
11 deg C here today and not a cloud in the sky :) Took 3 minutes off my best time on one of my routes - I love the sun:)

I don't think it is the real Gary Glitter, unless he has somehow mistaken this as a website for pedalophiles, or something.

Back
Top Bottom