What's new

Today - March 2013

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
On the eve of March I went out for a Palace loop - 33 km after dinner and loved it.

The milder temperatures are great. Different smells are here too. Everybody seems to be talking about heading into the mountains again (except hay fever sufferers!). I have a 200 km brevet with what looks like 3000 m of climbing coming up Saturday in a week.

In case you're wondering where the wind came from, I got to Tokyo about 1 this afternoon, and I thought I'd bring some along.

:D

(conference tomorrow and the next day)

In case you're wondering where the wind came from, I got to Tokyo about 1 this afternoon, and I thought I'd bring some along.

:D

(conference tomorrow and the next day)

eh?

tomorrow's saturday, right?

:eek:

eh?

tomorrow's saturday, right?

:eek:

True, it's kind of like work, but since it's something I'm interested in, it'll be okay. Apart from the occasional meeting, school's done till April. Gotta stay busy somehow.

~~~

And btw, I'm not at all responsible for the rain.

And btw, I'm not at all responsible for the rain.

fair enough. I'm not going to let it mess up my snowboarding weekend, but it doesn't help. Looks like some snow tonight, at least. Not much, so avalanche conditions should be too bad, but rain layers make it crappy. Been a bad season for that....

I'll find a new scapegoat soon..... :p

Woke up to heavy winds, was hoping they would take a while to hit and I could get up river before they reached full strength. Not to be, so i took to my regular course for some max HR intervals. Pushed my heartrate to 2 higher beats than it has ever recorded before, 184BPM, previously the highest I had recorded was 182. They say you cannot improve your heart rate but I can't see how this is an error, as you can see it isn't a glitch??

Anyway hit a 51.5km/hr 2km interval (with the tailwind)

http://app.strava.com/activities/42722588#718581274

After a few of these I switched to standing into the wind in a low gear and working on my standing form. It made the headwind a bit more bearable, and my legs didn't have the juice to push the speed intervals.

Last month I largely rested only 700km and most of it fairly leisurely, I am starting to ramp up the intensity from March....

Cleaning the bikes and will strip down and check for wear and damage on the CX bike. 2 new frames for the 2013 -14 season are on there way to me :D so need to sort out the parts and equipment for those.

Will remove the CX tires from the two sets of 23x50mm wheel sets ready for the road season and send them off to my wrench for a service.

Then need to pose for the UCI liscense photo and send off all my details for that.

Make sure you brush your hair mate.

Cleaning the bikes and will strip down and check for wear and damage on the CX bike. 2 new frames for the 2013 -14 season are on there way to me :D so need to sort out the parts and equipment for those.

Will remove the CX tires from the two sets of 23x50mm wheel sets ready for the road season and send them off to my wrench for a service.

Then need to pose for the UCI liscense photo and send off all my details for that.

You need a strong look for this.

May I suggest something like the following. Feel free to customise it to your physique.

00010big_240x360.jpg

Just looking over my training for February:

•Road x 2
•Rollers x 13
•Football x 4
•10 km run x 4
•Swim x 5
•Stepping machine x 7
•Strength work x 7
•Snow shoe x 4

I need to get out on the bike more!

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Thank you for the divine wind, jdd! I had my windiest Arakawa ride ever. The friendly tail wind allowed me to move from 174/266 on "Arakawa Right Bank 10k-0k" on Strava up to 46/267 :D

But I wasn't just cruising leisurely but determined to make the most of the chance to go fast, with an average HR of 152 bpm over those 10 km, which is a much better workout than is possible on the busy Tamagawa. It was unreal to be zooming along at an average of more than 36 km/h without any peloton. In the 1.2 km dead end section after the bridge that ends the segment I was even doing 43-46 km/h. My previous efforts there were more like 27 km/h.

The ride hadn't started so well. On a back road near Kannana a guy on a mamachari (maybe around 25) slowed down at the far left of the street and I was closing in on him, moving over to pass him on the right when he suddenly made a U-turn to the right without looking over his shoulder. He was already a few metres past a T-junction and decided that he wanted to go back to turn off there. Maybe he had missed his turn. Not looking behind you when making a U-turn, as long as you don't hear any sounds of combustion engines is not a good policy. Instead of a bicycle it could have been a silent hybrid.

If he had slowed down before the turnoff or was gradually moving to the right or turned his head once, I probably would have been warned, but that U-turn came as a complete surprise to me.

I slammed my brakes and shouted something when I realized I could no longer avoid hitting the by then perpendicular mamachari. My front wheel hit the right side of his bike behind the seat and my rear wheel rose maybe 30 cm from the impact, but I wasn't thrown off and he wasn't knocked over either - he must have stopped when I shouted. I even managed to unclip after the rear dropped to the ground again. While I was still checking my bike for damage, he let out a quick "Sumimasen!" and pedaled off off into his side street. A woman who had seen this all came up to me and asked me if I was alright, which luckily I was.

Nothing seemed seriously damaged. The smartphone holder had been whacked out of place and the phone was half loose, but nothing was broken. The front wheel was alright. The right shifter cable must have touched the other guy because it was at an odd angle where it came out of the shifter at the handle bar, but that was it. This could have been pretty nasty if somebody got injured.

Popped into the LBS to buy a few spacers for about 400 yen, to use while I build the new bike. Came out having spent the equivalent of roughly 8700 yen. On the upside, among other things I now have a lovely pair of Exteondo bib knicks that were half price :) Starting to look at accommodation for if I visit in October.

Had limited time yesterday for training, so decided to up my game a bit;

-Doubled the core work
-Added 3 more sets of intervals to the bike work
-Combined stretching and SMR in bed whilst drinking protein and working from my tablet

Today, stuck in the office; brought a tennis ball to do SMR with whilst sat at my desk.

Killer combos!

Out early this morning, down the left bank of the Arakawa and back up along the right bank. That wind somehow propelled me to 2nd on a 15k Strava segment that I didn't even know existed. Killed me on the way back up, though!

Managed to get 80kms in along a couple riverways.
Then just as I got home the wind dropped!

50km today over 2 1/2 hours today. The weather was bizarre though, cloudy, chilly and at times even snow. Still, time on the bike is time well spent. :)

Today - recovering from yesterday's leg-shredding ride with Clay, Jules, Simon, Deej, Chikako, Aron and Naomi-san.
Only 100km but with the golf course, Kobou tunnel and Tomin no Mori climbs included and at the pace we rode, it was a killer :warau:
Uenohara valley was warm but Hinohara valley was chilly. 4 degrees C at the Kazahari rindo junction combined with the windchill of the descent felt like it would strip the flesh from my bones!

My first proper training session on the road bike today. All my CX racing and training was done blind (No computer or gadgets) So I was interested to see where I would be.

1st training session:

30:00 @ 311watt + 10kg
1km @ 612watt + 10kg

(+10kg are additional weights I use when training)

Was very comfortable for 30 minutes and felt I could have gone all day at that rate. The 1km effort felt really good, almost as if the flood gates had been opened. The body and the bike just felt incredible.

2nd training session:

30 minutes @ 380w +10kg

Really feeling that one and was holding 410w for the 1st 15 minutes but ran out of road. 1km of gravel and then single lane cycle path ate up the averages, so had to make up the wattage in the final climb.... Lung buster!

Back
Top Bottom