What's new

Today - March 2012

Congratulations on that. 8 mo seems like a bit longer than I would expect. So now you get rid of the spouse and keep the bike? :p

LOL! Most of our spouses think that we are married to our bikes anyways. Maybe we can get the government to think the same and get them to allow permanent residency apps if we buy Japanese bike.

Did a longer commute this morning and explored the road that leads to Haneda Airport (Kanpachi Dori R311). You are allowed to pass the tunnel with bicycle but I wouldn't recommend it as there are many buses. I found a small cylepath just left to it and came out at the Terminal Loop. It's a 6.4km one-way loop with limited traffic (and that was during the week, weekend might be better), I created this Strava segment :). Actually I hoped to find a way by bike to Ōgishima but didn't .

I have had the same experience many times at that intersection. The key is to stop passed the crosswalk, almost out at Kanpachi. Watch for the signal of the road coming out from Yoga, and jump as soon as it turns red. Then you can get across before the right turn cars make it into the intersection.

Would take note of it thanks!!

Today I did a one hour constant power effort on the exercise bike at the gym. In early February I maintained 220W with a AveHR of 164. Today was 230W with an AveHR of 158. So good news, power up and heart rate down. This bought my Power/weight up to 2.95W/kg (1hr) from 2.75.

The effort felt sub-LT and I had more left in me at the end, so I will challenge for 240W the next time.

Almost ran over a dog on my commute home. I came up to a crossing (no traffic lights) Up ahead there was an old bloke starting to cross with his dog trailing. He saw me coming as he looked up and watched me approaching. He had more than enough time to easily cross the crossing instead he slowed down mid crossing I was fast approaching, at that point he decided to stop. Still looking at me with his dog right in my trajectory and a lead stretched out between him and the dog. Like he wanted me to hit it!:eek:

I narrowly missed the dog, and complimented him on his bravery (on behalf of his unbeknownst dog):confused:

Sure I could have slowed down, but who would imagine that someone would be so deliberately endangering to an animal they, in theory, love.

Almost ran over a dog on my commute home. I came up to a crossing (no traffic lights) Up ahead there was an old bloke starting to cross with his dog trailing. He saw me coming as he looked up and watched me approaching. He had more than enough time to easily cross the crossing instead he slowed down mid crossing I was fast approaching, at that point he decided to stop. Still looking at me with his dog right in my trajectory and a lead stretched out between him and the dog. Like he wanted me to hit it!:eek:

I narrowly missed the dog, and complimented him on his bravery (on behalf of his unbeknownst dog):confused:

Sure I could have slowed down, but who would imagine that someone would be so deliberately endangering to an animal they, in theory, love.

Old man on Tokyo Old Men's Dog Walkers Club forum!

'I was crossing the road when I saw this cyclist 'fast approaching', I slowed down but he just kept on coming at me. He almost hit my dog!'
He had more than enough time to easily slow down instead he kept coming at a fast speed, at that point I decided to stop. Still looking at me with his lycra-clad body in my trajectory and a helmet stretched out around his rather large gaijin head to protect himself. Like he wanted us to hit him !:eek:
Sure I could have jumped out of the way, but who would imagine that someone would be so deliberately endangering to an old guy with a ceramic hip joint and his aging dog, in theory, love.

'I was crossing the road when I saw this cyclist 'fast approaching', I slowed down but he just kept on coming at me. He almost hit my dog!'
He had more than enough time to easily slow down instead he kept coming at a fast speed, at that point I decided to stop. Still looking at me with his lycra-clad body in my trajectory and a helmet stretched out around his rather large gaijin head to protect himself. Like he wanted us to hit him !:eek:
Sure I could have jumped out of the way, but who would imagine that someone would be so deliberately endangering to an old guy with a ceramic hip joint and his aging dog, in theory, love.

theBlob, ca. 2062 ;)

Had a business meeting at the opposite end of Tokyo. It would have taken me about 50 minutes to walk to the station and catch a train there. Instead I cycled there in 57 minutes, changed my shirt and had my meeting.

On the way back I took a detour to see what R15 between Minato-ku and the Tamagawa was like, then headed up to Futagotamagawa from there (my favourite local workout route). 48 km of weekday exercise altogether :)

Moved up three positions on Strava at R246 Ohashi-Shinsencho by shaving 8 seconds off my best climb time there, despite wearing a backpack weighing 6 kg (laptop and other stuff). Maybe heading out to Tomin-no-mori a week ago did have an effect on my climbing...

Today's nooner..., slow, I know. :rolleyes:

Will probably do about the same tomorrow. Maybe down the river instead of up.

New wheels and cassette for my Trek came last nite, so over the weekend (rain in the forecast :() I need to get it cleaned up real good and add a new chain (7901). Tire-wise, I'm normalizing--going from 25 to 23 on the new wheels, hopefully the wiggle order with those will get here tomorrow or saturday. (The trek's bonty wheels are going on another bike.)

He he he!! Nice except he wasn't that young, nor his dog. And I was going much much faster than you are implying:p

Finally! The first day with great weather here in Kanazawa, got out for a short-ish 25km ride and it felt perfect! Woo!

Today's Tire-wise, I'm normalizing--going from 25 to 23 on the new wheels, hopefully the wiggle order with those will get here tomorrow or saturday. (The trek's bonty wheels are going on another bike.)

Hey, I was thinking of changing to 23mm tires myself! Out of curiosity, what tires did you order? Cheers!

p.s. the dog story was just hilarious!

My scooter engine blew up in the long tunnel on Kanpachi dori:mad: I had to leave it in the tunnel and get my wife to pick me up.

So I guess I am a cycle commuter by default rather than choice now.:bike:

Think I might takyubin my office clothes to and from the office!:D

:bike::bike::bike::bike:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, theBlob. Keep an eye on the oil level of engines.

I took a look at my car's maintenance log this morning to see how my driving has evolved vs. my cycling.

In the first two years, when we lived on the outskirts of Yokohama, I drove the Prius just over 9000 km per year and cycled very little. In the first year after moving to Setagaya I still drove 5000 km but used the mamachari and single speed folding bike for most errands.

Three months into the fourth year I bought my bicycle. I have done a total of 1700 km in the car during the last 9 months (which means I refuelled once a quarter), versus 2800 km on the bike in the last 6 months :cool:

Three months into the fourth year I bought my bicycle. I have done a total of 1700 km in the car during the last 9 months (which means I refuelled once a quarter), versus 2800 km on the bike in the last 6 months :cool:
brilliant! ..........Do people really need cars down there?
I bought the inlaws car from them and after 10 years of being in Yokohama it had 60,000kms. In the three next 5 years we put 80,000kms on it. Will sell it this year and get a Kei car. Snow free roads now so all cycling from now on. No more solo car rides.

brilliant! ..........Do people really need cars down there?
I bought the inlaws car from them and after 10 years of being in Yokohama it had 60,000kms. In the three next 5 years we put 80,000kms on it. Will sell it this year and get a Kei car. Snow free roads now so all cycling from now on. No more solo car rides.

A 13 year old car with 140k on the clock?
I hope you aren't expecting to get a lot for it!
In the 6 years I've had my car, I've averaged 3500km a year. I use it as a dust cover for the ground!:eek:

Had a great day yesterday. Took Thursday and Friday off this week to relax and decided to go out and climb Tomin no Mori again yesterday.
I first enjoyed a slow morning and left the house at 10am. Weather was very nice and warm.
I think this is my first time to go out riding on a weekday....traffic still busy but somehow more organized, could be some truth the the word "weekend driver" maybe?

It was my 3rd time to climb this hill and it felt like a breakthrough today. First time was with Joe on the 20th this month.
I have noticed that my riding seems to improve in steps sometimes. Today felt very different from the other 2 times I climbed this hill.

I somehow felt more in control, HR responded like expected, legs worked fine all the way. I managed to cut 22minutes from my previous time :)

I have 50kms from my house to the start of the climb. Maybe I should take the train out to start the climb with fresh legs next time?

A 13 year old car with 140k on the clock?
I hope you aren't expecting to get a lot for it!
In the 6 years I've had my car, I've averaged 3500km a year. I use it as a dust cover for the ground!:eek:

Our 2001 Toyota Voxy van has less than 23,000 Km on it, a few parking lot scratches otherwise it is in very goo shape. Going to sell it with the two kids off to Canad for school, the Subaru micro van we have is really all we need now.

:D

Back
Top Bottom