What's new

Today - March 2012

I second the Fuji. A great deal completely built up. If you are thinking from the frame up, Dolan makes a cheap but stuff aluminum one.

75km in preparation for my trip (11 days & counting)

Would have been further but busted a spoke 30km from home. Wheel very badly buckled but made it home. I'd forgotten what a cheap wheelset that was. I'm very relieved that it happened today & not in two weeks time. Fitted a different set of wheels & mounted the new chain & 12-30 cassette for the trip. That size cassette looks really odd compared to my normal 12-23. Bike now ready to go.

I signed up for a 300 km brevet ride on May 19, 2012. That's the same day as the Tokyo-Itoigawa Fast Run (東京→糸魚川ファストラン), which consequently I won't go for.

300 km will be almost double my longest run so far (156 km), so I've got some training to do over the next 10 weeks. I intend to do a 200+ km training run from Machida down to the coast, over to Odawara, Gotemba, Yamanaka-ko, Otsuki and back to Machida as soon as possible (i.e. when it's not pouring down). Given that I managed almost 80% of 200 km at the HFC Miura ride (including a 2 hour lunch and boat yard visit and later a stupid bike crash) I think that training loop will be doable.

I already ordered a dynamo headlight because the first 6 1/2 of the up to 20 hours are going to be at night (22:00 start, 04:33 sunrise).

I signed up for a 300 km brevet ride on May 19, 2012. That's the same day as the Tokyo-Itoigawa Fast Run (東京→糸魚川ファストラン), which consequently I won't go for.

Great, Joe! I'd like to try 300+ km event too (e.g. Tokyo-Itoigawa), but right now I have other plans for May 19th.

In the meantime, I'm waiting for warmer days to be able to climb higher hills. It looks like the temperature will be very low this weekend, so a route like this will have to wait at least for another few weeks.

so a route like this will have to wait at least for another few weeks.

That reminds me of a mountain hike in the area, in a place known as the "nokogiri ridge" (saw ridge), for obvious reasons! :)

We'll all be happy by the time of the cherry blossom season.

Gosh, the start point is quite near my home (indicated by the arrow in the top left corner).

I am busy on the brevet day, but give me a heads-up when you plan to do the training ride ~ I might be up for it too. (Though five months off the bike with an ouchy knee might hinder my progress somewhat.)

300 km will be almost double my longest run so far (156 km), so I've got some training to do over the next 10 weeks. I intend to do a 200+ km training run from Machida down to the coast, over to Odawara, Gotemba, Yamanaka-ko, Otsuki and back to Machida as soon as possible (i.e. when it's not pouring down). Given that I managed almost 80% of 200 km at the HFC Miura ride (including a 2 hour lunch and boat yard visit and later a stupid bike crash) I think that training loop will be doable.

I already ordered a dynamo headlight because the first 6 1/2 of the up to 20 hours are going to be at night (22:00 start, 04:33 sunrise).

I am busy on the brevet day, but give me a heads-up when you plan to do the training ride ~ I might be up for it too.

I'll post it here and in the rides section, there might more of us. Mostly I'm just waiting for better weather. It could be as early as coming Sunday if the forecast improves.

The loop I'm planning for the training ride totals 213 km, about 90% of which is along the 300 km brevet course (replacing 112 km around the west side of Fuji with a 25 km short-cut on the east side).

We won't be going fast, but we'll start around sunrise and finish after sunset. We'll be stopping at a few conbini for food / toilets.

If your knee gives you problems there should be a couple of train stations where you could drop out early (bring a bike bag).

Great race simulation training around the rice paddies working on my jump and long hard efforts. I feel like I rode all day but it was only 1 hour! Good times! Gonna hit the rollers tonight. The next 4 days are so important for my race on Sunday. It is a c race (not high in priority for my season) but that doesn't mean I'm not going to win if I can!

Chuck mate - when are you going to recover? Don't over bake yourself.

Planning on taking Friday as a rest day and I will pre ride the course and blow the legs out a little on Saturday. I Did not taper as I want to peak in August, so really just trying to build speed right now.

Season opener today, tomorrow might be possible, too. Dry most everywhere.

Extremely slow, with what felt like 10m crosswinds most of the way. Started off warm-ish, but then it clouded over and the chill sunk in. Should've had another layer on, or a few more bits.

After a recovery week, I continued on with some LT work today. 3 x 11km (~18-20min) with 5min recovery. AveHR 172/171/166, which is higher than my previous efforts by ~1-6bpm. Maybe because I was well rested, and had 30mcg caffeine before getting on the bike.

Felt strong and will hopefully do a zone 2 recovery ride tomorrow, about 4 hrs. Then some VO2 work on Friday.

Anyone notice this Shimano ad on the Yamanote Line?

7edbe905-0070-f026.jpg

Anyone notice this Shimano ad on the Yamanote Line?

Definitely did! It's funny that there's no specific part they're advertising though, just generic brand advertisement: "Get Shimano, it's good for ya" kind of thing.

Just been up the Edo river.
Beautiful weather!
Will be going up again this afternoon to visit Costco.

I did 85km on the fixed gear in Zone2 up the Tamagawa then Asagawa to Takao Station and back as a recovery ride. Have got a rest day planned for tomorrow, and hopefully some VO2 work on Friday before the rain comes.

Back
Top Bottom