What's new

Today Today - June 2014

Last 3 days I been doing the exact same 50km ride to see if I have any consistancey. Day one -1 hour 40mins 54 secs, Day 2 - 1 hour 38 mins 36 secs and today - 1 hour 41mins and 19 secs. Day 2 was with no wind, absolute brilliant day......

Only rode to work & back today, a whopping 16km. Radar showed some showers coming in so I left about 2:30 and beat them home--some sprinkles on the way, then heavy after I got back. It was just stuff passing thru, and I could've waited it out, but I was the cook tonight so I got a good start on that.

Took delivery of my new machine last night just in time for some sunny weather and a rare day off. Riding home from the shop it was clear that it needed dialing in a bit more as would I, having not been out since I was hit. A wee spin this morning and some touches with tools has her near perfect.
Something needs to be done with the old one.
All exited I left without any mitts or a HRM, the HRM didn't bother me but I got a little sunburn on my hands from not spreading the cream enough on the bare Irish skin. I think I can make some time on Sunday or Monday, or both, for some more. Sod it, I might get up early tomorrow and enjoy a ride.

Took delivery of my new machine last night just in time for some sunny weather and a rare day off. Riding home from the shop it was clear that it needed dialing in a bit more as would I, having not been out since I was hit. A wee spin this morning and some touches with tools has her near perfect.
Something needs to be done with the old one.
All exited I left without any mitts or a HRM, the HRM didn't bother me but I got a little sunburn on my hands from not spreading the cream enough on the bare Irish skin. I think I can make some time on Sunday or Monday, or both, for some more. Sod it, I might get up early tomorrow and enjoy a ride.
Less of the writing and more of the pics please.

I managed 887 km in May, ...

Took a look, and I did 632km in May, but that includes pool laps and some other stuff.

This rainy week has been good on time (four swims), but weak on distance (those same four swims).

The forecast for the coming week is looking very good, so a good chance to up the stats.

Last edited:
Lovely day on the bike - 90kms in the morning before it got tooooo hot - 30 deg C in the shade :tup

Completed the Gran Fondo 6 Strava challenge today. Not interested in the jersey that I'm now "eligible" to buy though :rolleyes:

Note to self. Invent all sorts of silly 'challenges' then use as marketing tools to sell overpriced wear. $100 for a $15 jersey?

An early 52km, just shy of two hrs, then laundry, an early lunch and to work for some prep. Got that done, and class doesn't start till one, so I'll try to get out early again tomorrow.

Was nice to meet Musashi13, TCC and my old team mate golfing Ninjarider for a ride up the Edo to the castle for lunch. Was a real show of how unfit I've become... and also good motivation to get out more and lose all that weight. Been a tough few years and time to really make some changes... closing my little English school I've owned for 14 years at the end of next month will be the first big step. More night riding with my old team mates and currently into the 3rd day of a 100 days of exercise challenge I'm doing with my brother... 50+km commute tomorrow...Can't believe this month will be 5 years since my last race...wish I was still as fit...

Was that your new bike Musashi??? My brother just bought a Pinarello last Thursday...could be my next choice as well...my Trek always feels a little small...

Yes, the new one. A few finishing touches still to be made but today was the maiden voyage (of any distance). I felt better than expected at the start and worse at the end. The last 15km or so was at the pace I had intended the entire ride to be at but that pace was only met with the wind in my face and 3+ hours in the saddle. I put the bike and my shoulder through some paces and came through smiling.

Wanted to go out for a ride this morning but a week's worth of shoddy jet-lagged sleep finally caught up with me: slept a full twelve hours and woke up at midday.

called in sick ... doing some personal stuff ie. booked a flight to visit my parents next month (will take the carbon bike) ... so re-reading the forums for additional packing tips. hope ANA is good and careful in dealing with bikes.

Reactions: mau
Managed a half-marathon (5 km) swim today in the pool. Took me 1 hr 37 minutes, which includes overtaking an average of 1 grandma and 1 oyaji per length. Felt awful by the end of it and at 10 minutes from the finish I was still considering packing it in. Had major cramping problems in both calf muscles but just about managed to flounder on.

Also entered my first open water swimming race (3 km) near Kamakura on June 29th. Fingers crossed for a calm sea.

I unlocked my bike, extracted it from the rail device where it had been resting, and let the front tyre land on the ground. There was a quiet but distinctive and unfamiliar clank. I didn't think much of it. I got on the bike. Something about the front didn't seem quite right, so I got off.

The QR lever was in the expected position. Still, I opened it so it was parallel to the skewer, and tried hand-tightening the other, stubby end. (Does it have a name?) I turned it, and turned it, and turned it. And turned it. And then I closed the lever and rode off (uneventfully).

Oh well, something new to worry about.

;)
I unlocked my bike, extracted it from the rail device where it had been resting, and let the front tyre land on the ground. There was a quiet but distinctive and unfamiliar clank. I didn't think much of it. I got on the bike. Something about the front didn't seem quite right, so I got off.

The QR lever was in the expected position. Still, I opened it so it was parallel to the skewer, and tried hand-tightening the other, stubby end. (Does it have a name?) I turned it, and turned it, and turned it. And turned it. And then I closed the lever and rode off (uneventfully).

Oh well, something new to worry about.

Flat tire (that you rode off on)?

Back
Top Bottom