What's new

Today Today - June 2014

Mine are SKS Race Blade. A bit fiddly to set up the first time but once you have knack they''re on and off in a minute.

Mike--Does your frame with that rack & your bag(s) give you enough heel clearance, or are you just using the top?

Out for a short 90min this a.m, but that makes 12 hours for the week, pretty good for me.

@rommelgc Two of my three bikes have full fenders, and not just the roadie clip on kind. The third, a now discontinued Trek Pilot, has clearance for them--one reason I chose it.

Regular fenders/mudguards (not the raceblades) make bagging a bike hard/impossible, but there are other trade-offs/benefits.

Previous bike had fenders too. It's great especially for avoiding those oils and dirt from staining your jersey!

mdyFxYH.jpg

Last edited:
@rommelgc and @Half-Fast Mike
What fenders are you guys using, and are they easy to attach/remove?

I got the only available fender at the LBS, its a plastic Zefal which mounts on the DT. I have oversize DT so the included mount options is not enough. I ended up using strips of cut inner tubing to mount it. Mounting seems OK, played around the Tamagawa yesterday ... kid on a bike under rain :) All smiles.

Wanted to get some sort of longer/stronger fenders, steel if possible (those dimpled Honjo's are still singing to me) since it'll probably outlive any plastic fenders out there, but I just don't have the clearances even with 23mms.

Not for me sitting in front of the TV all day eating cakes and chocolate while watching the entire 1st series of Breaking Bad. Switching to beer and chips at 4:00pm ( remarkable restraint!)
No, that was yesterday. Today I put the mudguards on my slick tired, no suspension MTB. Broke out my winter waterproof shoes and rain jacket then kicked the butts of the few roadies that braved the elements on the Onekan and Tama loop! At one point it dried up a little, enough for the spray from my useless front mudguard to stop hitting me in the face.

Reactions: mau
Two hours ten minutes this a.m., 58km. Early on the sun was breaking thru so I stopped and bought sunblock. A wise move.

Did my first open water swim off the Miura Peninsula today. Didn't get a mouthful of sanitary aids (or any other kind of AIDS) so I'll be back again next week. A nice person from Triathletes in Tokyo showed me the lack of ropes.

I know what you're thinking. Triathletes????!!!!! But swimming is all I have until my knee injury heals and I can ride a bike again. :ashamed:

Not for me sitting in front of the TV all day eating cakes and chocolate while watching the entire 1st series of Breaking Bad. Switching to beer and chips at 4:00pm ( remarkable restraint!)
No, that was yesterday. Today I put the mudguards on my slick tired, no suspension MTB. Broke out my winter waterproof shoes and rain jacket then kicked the butts of the few roadies that braved the elements on the Onekan and Tama loop! At one point it dried up a little, enough for the spray from my useless front mudguard to stop hitting me in the face.
Breaking Bad marathoner here too! LoL
And later will probably eating fruit and nuts chocolates too. Yay! At least it has fruits and nuts. Bad habits on rainy days!

my girls, 8, decided today was going to be the day to try out the new to then MTBs. It was raining a bit but we got in 16kms of mostly off road with a little single track and some epic climbs, they did well and only one of them came off. Good times.

Today was the last day of the Kuwabara Kineo show at Setagaya Art Museum so I thought me and the missus would go there via the Tama river (upstream, Kanagawa side, at a leisurely pace about 45 minutes including everything).

But it was raining. I pointed out that it was barely drizzling. But asahi.com said that there was a possibility of thunder. I said I couldn't hear any hint of that. But the mother of one of her schoolfriends had been killed by lightning when on her bike....

I cycled to the museum, thereby gambling with death by lightning. She went by train. (I arrived quite a bit earlier.) I cycled back, she came back by train. Somehow, I avoided lightning (as did the whole of Setagaya-ku, I imagine).

A pleasant if tiny trip (helped by my 1980s Honjo brand mudguards).

Last edited:
Did my first open water swim off the Miura Peninsula today. Didn't get a mouthful of sanitary aids (or any other kind of AIDS) so I'll be back again next week. A nice person from Triathletes in Tokyo showed me the lack of ropes.

I know what you're thinking. Triathletes????!!!!! But swimming is all I have until my knee injury heals and I can ride a bike again. :ashamed:
open water swimming is hardcore! respect!

Can't believe you went swimming outside in this rain. Bet you got absolutely soaked !

55 km on a hot sunny day in Bavaria on my escape from the Tokyo rainy season.

Took advantage of the sunny today. 35km dry and 35km on my way back home soaked. Not bad! Pretty happy with it.

2.1km in the pool, a super early ride might be in the works tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom