What's new

Today - June 2013

ninjarider , I'm not for a moment suggesting that you get a motorbike. Just hint that you're thinking of doing so. A pushbike should look sensible, respectable and husbandly by comparison.

If somebody thought that you had caused an accident, your lack of a bell might be a matter of considerable and unwanted interest. Anyway, bells are fun.

Despite the embarrassment factor on my roadbike, I was actually thinking of getting a bell, as there are so many occasions when it would be useful. But this particular old geezer had his iPhone earbuds in while he was relaxing on the barrier, so I doubt whether it would have made any difference…

I've tried various bells, horns and whistles over the years, and by far the best is the standard Japanese bike bell --> because people recognize it as an approaching bike. It's not an embarrassment factor, it's quite effective safety equipment.

Depending on who I'm approaching, I'll also call out. jitensha, sumimasen, abunai, yoko-ni yore, even doite for high school boys. Regardless, if they move (even slowly), I offer an arigato on the way by.

Not too effective for someone sitting in your path with earbuds in tho...!

Just finished the Tour de Kumano and what an amazing way to end the 3 days!

1st lap of the course I took the KOM with a sneaky attack nobody expected and then decided if i could get away and i stayed out for several km before the peloton reeled me in and that was the last time it worked as the climbers moved to the front and set a blistering pace. I settled in around 10th wheel and rotated through the front as the usual suspects set the pace.

Final 2 laps and the climbers ramped the pace right up trying to shake the strong sprinters off the back or sap our strength. 1km to go and at the 300m market I went and it soon became a 3 dog drag race we crossed the line in a blur, I knew I'd been pipped for 1st but not sure If I'd got 2nd and had to wait an agonising 15 minutes.

2nd!

So my results for 3 days

Stage 1: 4th
Stage 2: 15th
Stage 3: 2nd

Wow FE that looks like a great weekend you had!

Ninjarider, get a bell, it is cheap insurance, at least you can say "I rang my bell" when the cops show up :rolleyes:

I buy the big assed ones, they don't cost much but they are LOUD they need to have the lever that moves the guts inside and gives a nice burst of bell all at once. These wimpy little things with the tinger on the side are just about useless, "ting ting ting" no one hears that or moves, but the full throated "RING RING RING" makes people MOVE! ....... if they hear it :confused:

Microcord, I'll skip the motorbike route…have done that before &, despite the odd hormonal moment when craziness takes over, I have no desire to do it again!
Musashi13, cheers, I'll take you up on the invitation to ride when the ache in my hands (and pride) have healed
Despite the embarrassment factor on my roadbike, I was actually thinking of getting a bell, as there are so many occasions when it would be useful. But this particular old geezer had his iPhone earbuds in while he was relaxing on the barrier, so I doubt whether it would have made any difference…

Sorry to hear about your off, did you give the old dude an earful?
I am looking to buy my first bike in Japan. Rode in NZ and AUs and updated my license last year.

Feel the need to do some riceburning in the land of burners. TDR250 in my future. 45HP and 0-100 in 6 seconds. Not bad for a dual purpose bike.

It looks like a beautiful week of weather coming up, I hope to commute every day, and then some.

Ninjarider, get a bell, it is cheap insurance, at least you can say "I rang my bell" when the cops show up :rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong but every bicycle has to have a bell, by law, in Japan. Furthermore, even if you have one and ring it, if there is an accident involving a pedestrian and you on a chari, you are proportionally to blame no matter what.

Today; working, followed by stretching, SMR, 1000 sit ups to further hone my killer body.

Totally unrelated to bikes, but I know some people on here are into computers, and graphics and stuff; I am currently involved in a joint 3D project with some Polish designers. We are seeing how ultra-real we can get a city. This is how far we have got. And no, that is not a photograph, and no, I didn't render this alone on my desktop computer!

cityscape.jpg

Trying to decide whether to get a new Selle Italia carbon saddle or a pair of Oakley radar glasses. Decisions decisions.

Today; working, followed by stretching, SMR, 1000 sit ups to further hone my killer body.

Totally unrelated to bikes, but I know some people on here are into computers, and graphics and stuff; I am currently involved in a joint 3D project with some Polish designers. We are seeing how ultra-real we can get a city. This is how far we have got. And no, that is not a photograph, and no, I didn't render this alone on my desktop computer!

nice of you to accommodate cycle paths in your new virtual city.

Another thing unrelated to cycling, but one of the most killer tracks of all time:

I am currently involved in a joint 3D project with some Polish designers. We are seeing how ultra-real we can get a city. This is how far we have got. And no, that is not a photograph, and no, I didn't render this alone on my desktop computer!

I like the trams. Well actually as a cyclist I don't like trams at all; but as an earthling and a pedestrian I like them.

Though I've been to five of its neighbours, I've not yet visited Poland. But some aspects of your city look reminiscent of Minsk. (Perhaps better not to mention this to Poles, who might shudder at the suggestion.)

IFF you (plural) are looking for tips: The roofs tend to look a little too clean: a bit more random discolouration and grime would help. But the buildings' facades are excellent.

I am not looking for tips, no, unless you are able to provide evidence of your own 3D work to back up any opinions / comments (always on the lookout for fellow 3D designers, you see...)

The city scape is based on Plac Gabriela Narutowicza in Poland, for your info.

Back
Top Bottom