What's new

Today - June 2012

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
So there it is, and let June begin...!

I've got tomorrow (today) off, and am supposed to meet "eimaiosatanas" for a morning ride.

Inspired by Joel my goal is to ride 1,000kms this month. That's 33.3kms a day, but my daily commute is only 2kms. Looks like quick morning rides starting today. Oiled up the Brooks yesterday with shark leather oil. Riany season be damned, I'll be riding.

Indeed it is June. I rode 24km in rain this morning, but as soon as I arrived at work the sun came out.:)

Started June off by an Arakawa 'hiki' ride. 5km standing in the 53/12 pulling 2 moto tires. Nothing builds confidence out of the saddle more than this! The rain has knocked down alot of the pollen - so I'm not as paranoid of the river as last week. Some dweeb I caught up with on the way back decided to play 'stop light' sprinting. Apparantly he was hell bent to get as much out of his commute as possible. Upon seeing me on his tail, he jumped the Green (blue) light by about 2sec and promptly had to slam on brakes nearly side smashing a 'late entry' Taxi through the intersection. Guess he should take his 'training' back down on the river, huh?

This morning's loop.

Marios was trying out his new wheels and kept the pace up! ;)

Riding with jdd today, with new wheels and a huuuge stupid grin on my face :D!

First time ever being able to sustain 28~30km/h, it was just not possible with the old wheels! :eek: Great weather, a relatively early start, just a great way to start the day!

Pro tip: don't buy the vittoria evo in white. As soon as it hits the road it turns into a nice color of ..dirty.

Too helpful

Wanted to drop by the convenience store on the way to work. Narrow road, but room for two cars to pass. I needed to turn right, so I'm properly on the left side of the road slowing down for the junction, with my right arm signaling: I intend to turn right or move to the right.

Car approaching from the other direction, at prezactly the awkward speed where you think to yourself "I could make my turn in front of that car, unless the driver accelerates wildly, which they probably will."

So I'm preparing to stop. And I stop opposite the road I want to turn into. But the car driver, little old lady of approx. 150, even though she obviously has the right of way, slows down and comes to a complete stop too.

Chances are she had never seen a hand signal on a cyclist before, and didn't know what to make of it.

So, all very kind and courteous... except that she'd stopped with her front bumper level with my cranks. So I couldn't turn. And I couldn't go round the back of her. So I just sat there in the middle of the road, waiting for her to get out of my way. "Really!?" I mumbled.

You should have seen the "Ungrateful so-and-so" look on the front of her head. Priceless.

*there we go, now I am on the right thread!*
Was doing some maintenance work on my bicycle tonight.

Noob mistake... Should not have happened...
Realised the screws holding down my hydraulic brakes were loose and the pistons themselves were able to move relatively freely up and down the screws... and to think the last ride I did was down along route 20 from sagamiko at 45¬50kph:eek:. Thank god I only rode it to the supermarket this week due to ongoing exams.....

Major medical scare today. Had to go to Accident & Emergency from work with chest pains. In 2.5 hours I had an ecg, an xray and several blood tests. Told pain is NOT heart related but muscular/skeletal. I just need to take pain killers for a few days. Such a relief, its the best result possible. Bless the NHS, I know I have been paying for it for years but I have had my moneys worth :) Out on bike tomorrow to see if i have cured the creak in the bottom bracket.
Also decided to sell my time trial bike this week. I just cant justify a separate bike just for the few TT's I do now. Its not worth much but It should cover about half the cost of the mountain bike I've got my eyes on :)

Bit of maintanance today, general pulling apart and putting back together chasing a creak when out of the saddle.

Added a 16 tooth gear in the rear and took out the 11.

So now my gears are 53/39 12/27

Can anyone tell me the ratio of front to rear gears ie taking one off the 39 would equal to adding what to the 27?

Bit of maintanance today, general pulling apart and putting back together chasing a creak when out of the saddle.

Added a 16 tooth gear in the rear and took out the 11.

So now my gears are 53/39 12/27

Can anyone tell me the ratio of front to rear gears ie taking one off the 39 would equal to adding what to the 27?

Go to: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

It's easy to play with the numbers.

Because 39/38*27 = 27.71, going to a 38 at the front would only give you 71% of going to a 28 at the rear.

Arrived in Germany today, 15 hours on airplanes and a few more hours waiting for them. 11 days until see my bike again.

163km for the week, above average for me, and a new one starts tomorrow.

Bad day

Maybe it was fate that prevented me from joining Pete's Chichibu ride today. In addition to the unusual events that started my morning, I had two more flats, walked 10k and had to get new tires plus tubes.

It is a good thing that these events occurred while I was alone. I would have hated to have kept everyone waiting while I attended to flat, after flat, after flat…well you get the picture.

I did that entire descent in chichibu with you on the hoods. Dontt stress it. As long as you are going for it, who cares.

Recon trip and tempo ride to lake haruna. Ended the 140km with a 14km 10/10 climb. Including 10kg backpack! Now relaxed in cabin w/DVD and coffee!

Today was supposed to be a rest day, after yesterday's power profile workout with a bunch of 15sec, 1min, and 5 min all out efforts over at the Arakawa. But, tomorrow's forecast is looking pretty bleak, so I decided to fit in a ride after work.

I got on the road about 1am and headed up the Tamagawa, out to Oume and up Nariki for 130km/1000m. I was definitely not recovered from yesterday, and had difficulty getting my heart rate up and holding decent power.

I was wiped out on the way back and nearly bonked. I will get some much needed rest tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom