What's new

Today - June 2011

onm

Sep 2, 2009
Evening.

June already!

Today; worked all day, on the 4th day of a pretty hefty detox diet, and felt as sharp as a razor so decided to sprint the 3km straight road I encounter on everyday. It has just been resurfaced, and widened, and is niiiiice.

Took my street-blade down the road in my suit and tie like a maniac. With no warm up, got to 54kmph on the flat. Must have been funny for all the blood-bags sitting in their cars going the other way to see some cracker giving it some for no apparent reason down the street in his work clothes.

Started work on something very cool at home too, which you will all be hearing about soon too... :p

I rolled over 1600 Km on the bike for the year, yeah, I know, some of you do that in a long weekend, but this is mostly around Tokyo towing a trailer full of beer, and it is nearly double my total for last year.

Last year at this time I looked like this......

weight_loss_8_weeks_2-1-1.jpg

.... I've still got a ways to go, but I've come a long way!

I also went and registered the Lrrb and got my TS Mark bike insurance, best 2000 yen I'll spend on a bike this year!

Could you give more details about the insurance?
Used to be most people's homeowners, or rental insurance covered bicycle riding too, but that all recently stopped. Now at most LBS you can buy this TS Mark insurance......

ts_re.gif

..... looks like that.

You can follow this link >> HERE << to their page for more info, In Japanese. (I put that link through the Google Translate Page).

They do a basic check of your bike to make sure things work, and then you buy the insurance, you fill out a form with your name, address etc and they put a sticker on your bike with a number and a date on it, in one year you have to do it all again.

I'm not saying it is the answer to all your problems, but it is a heck of a lot better than nothing :D

Tail end of the hayfever / cold crap - got a few Palace Laps in this morning. Was fun to have some targets on the uphill interval leg. Managed to get HR to 182 3x in 3 laps, then last 2 laps at 176+. Not sure if it was the few days off, or the Contador approved, North Korean Inhaler my doctor gave me :) Will confirm tomorrow when I hit the Kazahari for some hill stretches.

Thanks Stu.

I checked with my lbs and they don't sell insurance. I have to get my head around it soon, as I know it is just a matter of time before I need it.

Used to be most people's homeowners, or rental insurance covered bicycle riding too, but that all recently stopped. Now at most LBS you can buy this TS Mark insurance......

ts_re.gif

..... looks like that.

You can follow this link >> HERE << to their page for more info, In Japanese. (I put that link through the Google Translate Page).

They do a basic check of your bike to make sure things work, and then you buy the insurance, you fill out a form with your name, address etc and they put a sticker on your bike with a number and a date on it, in one year you have to do it all again.

I'm not saying it is the answer to all your problems, but it is a heck of a lot better than nothing :D

2000 yen seems cheap--are you sure of its coverage?

Also, there's this sticky, maybe add a description of its coverage there?
https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=867

Thankfully I've never had to use it, so I cannot say how well it works, but it seems to be nation wide.

If you look on >> THIS << page (again using Google Translator) it shows the coverage, I have the TS Red Mark, in fact my LBS does not bother selling the TS Blue Mark.

YMMV :D

The usual Arakawa run though first time using bike shoes. Definitely an improvement in performance. However, haven't quite got used to the fact the the bike and myself are now attached - went to dismount, forgot that I was wearing clipless and came off the bike. Grazed my knee but the slight feeling of embarressment the worst:eek:. This was the first accident for me on a bike since I was about 10 - was coming down a hill when I realised that my brakes didn't work and ending up crashing into a wall. My bike and I lived to tell the tale but I never rode that particular bike again.

However, haven't quite got used to the fact the the bike and myself are now attached - went to dismount, forgot that I was wearing clipless and came off the bike. Grazed my knee but the slight feeling of embarressment the worst.

I'm sorry to hear about your crash. This almost seems like a rite of passage. First time I rode clipped in I toppled over at a red light in front of a bunch of pedestrians, and cars behind me. Actually, the embarrassment hurt more than the grazed knee.

I'm sorry to hear about your crash. This almost seems like a rite of passage. First time I rode clipped in I toppled over at a red light in front of a bunch of pedestrians, and cars behind me. Actually, the embarrassment hurt more than the grazed knee.

After my first clipless ride I toppled over in front of the postman outside my building. Dramatic slow motion, which ended in my flattening the neighour's hedge.

That hedge had thorns ... :(

Rounded off two days of Fuji International HC training: Sea level to the 5th Station via Hakone and the Azami line on Saturday; Back up Azami and over Otome toge today. Over 5,000m climbing (and descending :D) in two days.

Intervals and short rides from now till the race!
AW.

Worked all day again. Drafted a truck all the way too work though, which was cool.

About the clipless right-of-passage;is indeed something you need to do. Did it when I was 15 and never looked back.:eek:

Rounded off two days of Fuji International HC training: Sea level to the 5th Station via Hakone and the Azami line on Saturday; Back up Azami and over Otome toge today. Over 5,000m climbing (and descending :D) in two days.

Intervals and short rides from now till the race!
AW.

Impressive. How are you getting to all these exotic locations?

After my first clipless ride I toppled over in front of the postman outside my building. Dramatic slow motion, which ended in my flattening the neighour's hedge.

That hedge had thorns ... :(

About the clipless right-of-passage;is indeed something you need to do. Did it when I was 15 and never looked back.:eek:

Glad its not just me then;)

There are two types of cyclist: Those who fall off/over, typically three times, while getting used to cleats, and those who lie and claim they didn't.

I guess I'm above average then, I have fallen off way more than three times :eek:

I fell down once just recently, total slow motion WITH the trailer attached :D

Still, I'd not give up my clipless pedals and shoes!

I fell any number of times with my peugeot, which used the ancient system of pedals plus cage and strap, with heavy slotted cleats riveted on the shoes. Usually when stopped, or almost, and I hadn't loosened the strap on the left side...

I remember my first clipless pedal crash....

16 years old - 1st time I had ever used them and decided that the evening 10mile solo TT was the best place to give them everything.

Posted my best time and crossed the line jubliant.Pulled up beside the marshals tent keen to learn if I had won the evening on handicap and.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IBgk05iL3Y

Also been riding my single speed for a week now..... no escaping the pain factor. Fingers keep searching for the shifters on the climb but to no avail.

Back
Top Bottom