What's new

Today - July 2010

Commute

Went to work by bike route 40-16. Returned on route R16 then R24 to Zushi, then R134 to Enoshima, then R467 to Fujisawa, then a riverside bike trail to Yamato and R40 to home.

I read about distractions in the form of "skirts" on another thread....beware thebeach routes!! Much more distracting!:cool:

Took 1.5 hours to get to work (0450 departure); 2.5 to return home (1645 departure).

Today became yesterday almost again .. went out for ride but had forgotton the PBW and sure enough - 3 hard pushes and my wheel slipped forward! Damn! Missed rendevous, pavement hot as fire, walked home... try again. On positive side - peeling off almost .5kg/week now. 5 days more of Gen-Mai Fast.

A short 20km along the freezing Central Coast of New South Wales Australia. Up and down the coastal hills around Terrigal and Avoca. Steeper than I imagined and plenty of marked cycling roads which was nice.
Breakfast by the beach of pancakes and capuccino. A nice welcome home ride.
The rain clouds came in though and scared me home. Will do some longer rides soon.
Off to see my father in the hospital now...:eek:uch:

30km in the sun to the usual park. The geese and strollers looked hot, but on the bike the breeze was perfect. Trying a new, lower saddle position. Jury still out but felt about right today.

60km fast blast up the Tama and the up and over Yomuri Lando and back down the other side for home. As Phil said great breeze while riding!!

Commute

Today another commute-by-bike day: R40-R16 and back the same way. Had a few good challengers along the way, the most challenging from a guy on the Nishiya-Tsurugamine rise. I had passed him quite a bit before the climb, and prior to commencing the gradual climb I checked my six and didn`t see him back there, so climbed at a leisurely pace only to get a fly by! After a grueling match I eventually prevailed.

The R40-R16 route is about 35KMs, the beach route about 50.

Tenth day in a row riding, tho nowhere near the elevations or km that most TCC people do. A few swims in there, too. Probably more like the folks that commute longer distances.

The wx report always seems to say that rain is coming, but then it disappears.

30km power based training.

Monday. Aaargh!

We had a great trip out to Norikura over the weekend - the Shine On! Cycle Challenge masterfully disorganised by Half-Fast Cycling.

So... thighs like jelly this morning but the alternatives (train or motorbike) were so unappealing that I put the bike back together and managed a respectable 29.5 km/h average on my commute.

Love riding to the office at this time of year; the schools are out for summer, so there are fewer cars on the road. Yes it's hot, but I dunk my jersey in cold water before I set out so the wind helps keep me cool.

--HF Mike--

total respite from the heat! nice sprint training in today and got my speed up to over 60km/h on the flats of route16...... BLISS!:bike:

rinproject

I visited rinproject yesterday. My favourite string-back gloves had worn through where I push against the hoods with my index finger pad. They were a present, and it seems I literally loved them to bits.

rinprojectgloves.jpg

The gloves were bought at Y's in Shinjuku, but I went to the manufacturer directly to ask about the possibility of a repair. This turned out not to be possible, so I bought two new pairs and will try to take better care of them.

It's a cool shop. They have lots of trendy products for the fashion-conscious (and skinny :mad:) street cyclist. And, as I've noted separately, they have rental bikes. I expect I'll visit again.

Very good customer experience. Nakamura-san there speaks excellent English, and was surprised to learn that there is a thriving gaijin/English-based cycling community in Tokyo.

Rin Project http://rinproject.com/
[email protected]
Moto Asakusa4-6-17 1F, Taito-ku
Tel 03-3842-2883 Fax 03-3842-2889

Nearby stations:
JR Ueno
JR Okachimachi
Inari-cho
Shin-okachimachi

--HF Mike--

Have only had 3 rides in Sydney...today I followed the cycling path from Manly Wharf to The Spit then lunch...back to Manly and watched the surfers for a while... a bit cold...rain held off...
Sydney is hilly and everything is closer together than I remembered...ie Sydney is much smaller than before. :eek:
Have eaten too much of course... :eek:

The bike I'm using is old and a bit scared it will break down somewhere far away...

Day`s Commute

Prior to departure this morning, I looked to the sky and decided it probably wouldn`t rain, or ay least not much. 15 minutes down R16, a deluge/Typhoon struck and stayed with me till the last tunnel at Yokosuka and then abated.

Needed a dive mask and snorkel! I took the trains home.

Dodged the rain on my morning training run and then again on the afternoon..... the afternoons dodge was thanks to Mike as I promised I would pop in to a bike store to pick him up something.....20 minutes of poking around at bike bling and the rain had stopped. Although I did end up spending 12,000 Yen.

'short' mountain run

July 29

though I had some plans to get up very early to ride because of commitments in the afternoon... that didn't happen and ended up (just by luck) grabbing the holiday express train to Musashiitsukai at 9am to head up Kazuhari.

It was a bit なつかし as this was my first hillclimb (before I had real cycling clothes like gloves and shorts and had just switched to clipless pedals) two years ago.

Where do most people start their timers at? The rt 33 junction? If so, my first time up on this bike is 1:11, though I slowed down and stopped for a second at the wrong car park before realizing it wasn't really the top. Robbed! Next time the goal is 1:05.

I luckily got off the mountain before the downpour which left me thinking... should I just keep riding? I can't get any wetter...

Things that made me happy: 9 cyclists passed --mostly going up :weight:
3 passed me;) Including our very own Fumiki who I was happy to meet!

Fumiki you shot off so fast when you went to catch your team mates!

As I have yet to see any other solo female rider in the mountains, let alone tall foreign girl, I guess I'm easy to spot :eek:

I love that a short run can be 80k, include Kazuhari, and still leave enough energy to go out dancing all night. Bring it on Tohoku (errr... without the dancing, obviously)

All night bus to Aomori - no sleep - and GASP, the roadstops dont sell beer! Anyway - caught a few winks then did recon of Mt. Iwasaki 'Skyline' - seems the skyline road is closed to cycles - however the guard shack doesn't open til 8am. Plenty of time to go back early in the morn. Went to Romantopia and scoped out a sweet .5km hill (10% or so) to do some intervals. Ran 5 of these (3min each) and then an additional 20km easy spinning. Tomorrow starts the 2-A-Day..

Back
Top Bottom