What's new

Today Today - January 2016

The first week of January, still commuting in short sleeves or no-sleeve vest (thin windbreaker gets taken off after the first 10-15 min). Unreal weather. Buggered my CatEye speedometer tonight when removing it from the bracket. I dropped it from like a meter high to concrete below, and despite not showing any visible signs of damage, the display is dead. It seems 2 bikes will have to share one remaining CatEye from now on.

#1stworldproblems

No bike today, other things to do before a weekend of work.
I started having a go on Netflix at the start of December and decided to continue with it. It'll keep my nose clean-ish from now on. Today I found Summer in Andalusia and enjoyed that for the second time.

I need a new drive train or at least bits of one. Isn't Dura Ace coming anew this year? Might spank a new one for the hell of it...or wait for the price of the current one to tumble and replace parts. See what the market brings

I need a new drive train or at least bits of one.

Existing one worn out, or for a second bike?

Dura Ace has an inconsistent generation update schedule. If we look for a pattern, there is a slight one; it seems each new generation takes less time to come out than the last, except 9000 has now been out for over 3 years which is the same amount of time between 7900 and 9000, so that buggers that idea.

If you want to change to a different groupset (not sure why you would want to change from Dura Ace...), then SRAM has their new wireless groupset which is being ridden in pro tours this year.

By drivetrain, I assume you are referring to the cassette and chain. You can't have worn out the Dura Ace chain rings yet with the amount of kms you have put into it.

A new Dura Ace cassette and chain comes in at about 25000yen on Amazon (I bought the exact same thing yesterday).

You must have replaced your chain a few times since starting with dura ace though, surely?

Today I led a group of 19 (I think) on a Half-Fast cruise around the Miura Penisula in glorious January Kantō sunshine. @WhiteGiant managed to miss us, on a separate ride (#Just SayNOtoCoinLockers) but there were several TCC correspondents in the HFC peloton.

Lots of wait-at-the-top. Lots of are-you-still-taking-selfies? Lots of sushi. All good.

Oh, and this... #BearSmash

20160109-142808-miura-mike.JPG

Just 802km for me this week then, at 29.8kmph average speed, with a load of KOMs.

Easy.

There's a quote out there somewhere to the effect that "If you want to see the most in the shortest distance, walk."

When you die, do you want your mourners to be saying things like "once he did 800km in a week, at 29km/hr, with a load of KOMs," or do you want them to talk about you, the person, how you lived with others, the relationships you had, testimony from several someones that you helped, you know, that kind of thing?

Your comment was elitist and about making others feel small/inadequate about how they may be riding.

You get a grip. Or, get into a half-fast frame of mind.

Haha, what the hell are you on about? Don't tell me what the intention of my own comment was mate. I was objectively stating what I had done that week, and nothing more. I sarcastically put 'easy' at the end. If others feel inadequate due to a statement of fact from another human being, that aint my problem. Did I post my comment in response to what anyone else had written about their riding, or angle any comparison into it? No, I didn't.

Fuck sake, are we not allowed to post what we have done on our bikes now, if it is above the average, for fear of making others feel bad?

That's what shits me about cycling nowadays.

Riding hard and bettering yourself (even if it's at a low level) has been thrown out the door in favor of who looks the best, has the best gear, or did the best social ride.
Yeah sure, the latter three points matter, and this site is definitely catering for all cyclists, but let's not bag people for riding hard.

All the pros you guys watch/idolize/wear the same kit as/ride the same bikes as have done some mega hard yards on the bike and completely destroyed themselves in the process.
If you bagged them, you'd look and sound like a fool, so why do it here? That excludes drug cheats, of course.

I've never heard anyone on here bag someone for doing a slow ride, or for doing just a few Ks in a week or in one ride.

Get real people!

We are here to get along and enjoy this beautiful sport at all levels.

Last edited:
In all the sports I've done, I only actually find that cyclists like to big themselves up about how hard they have ridden or how much they have killed a section of riding or killed themselves. They seem to like phrases that involve death, suffering or darkness. I have taken part in plenty of sports but it only seems to me that cyclists talk this way. I never hear any runners talk in the same way, nor footballers, downhill MTBers. I'm not sure why this is.
@jdd I don't think @D'Pioneer was being elitist in his comment. I mearly think he likes to show off and was looking for some praise along the way.

Back
Top Bottom