What's new

Today Today - January, 2014

What's your winter bike set up Alan? Here's mine. This is how we roll up here where it's more an issue of slick icy roads and ponds rather than deep snow drifts, although we get them as well once you get a bit higher.

Don't need anything so hardcore around Tokyo - summer and winter set up is the same:

Titus X Carbon with XT and XTR mix. Most of the trails become unridable due to deep snow rather than ice so no studs in my tyres!

@theDude margarita shot bloks! those are probably my favorite.

cool, good to hear. I haven't tried them yet. Got a mix of different 'powers'.... salt, 1/2 shot and 1 shot.
See how it goes.....there were a few other offerings but I've generally preferred clif.

Feckin cold this morning. Garmin had me at -7 for most of the ride!!! I had ice on the mo like I was scaling Everest!

Today's commute was one of those ones. The ones where you come across a Japanese Jeremy Clarkson and end up with half a litre of adrenalin coursing through your veins after they try to muscle you off the road on purpose. Twice.

Some fat geezer in a black Toyota SUV took a dislike to my filtering through stationary traffic. Wasn't aware until he passed me five minutes later, cutting in front of me and braking, even though there was no obstruction ahead. I slammed on the brakes and managed to not rear-end him, then he roared off up the road.

After gathering my nerves, I carried on, eventually getting to a set of signals. Lo and behold, SUV maniac was waiting there at the back of three other cars. I tried to filter on the left-hand side, but he turned the car left to block my way. I stopped again, then decided I needed to get away from this guy, so I filtered on the right side of him. He then pulled his car RIGHT to try and block me, but he was too close to the car in front and had to stop thankfully. As I passed, he punched the driver-side window and screamed at me. I just ignored him and filtered through, then waited for the lights to change.

I then realised I don't particularly want this nutter coming up behind me again, so I just got off the bike and waited at the junction for the cars to pass. As he passed, he held the horn down for about five seconds. Nice.

So yeah. That was unpleasant. Pissed off as I stupidly left my phone at home today.

That is one of the reasons I gave up commuting. There was at least one tool every day who would cut in front of me for no reason other than to be a passive aggressive a-hole. I ended up punching windows and carrying on. Now I just dream of mowing down the wandering zombies on the lose around Saiko at dawn with a bar mounted AK-47. Now I have the power, I am the big guy on the block BUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Last edited:
Today's commute was one of those ones. ... That was unpleasant.
I get all that too, sometimes. Mostly from a total douche in a red Bentley who thinks its OK to pelt along Aoyama-dori at 100 mph in the left hand lane WHILE I'M USING IT. (It's only a bike - he'll move.)

I feel for you brother. But I think on the whole we're better off than in almost any other country. Possible exceptions of Denmark & Holland.

I just dream of mowing down the wandering zombies wandering around Saiko at dawn with a bar mounted AK-47. Now I have the power, I am the big guy on the bike BUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
FIFY YW

There's a rumor that, with current morning temperatures, whilst at Saiko, you are anything but a 'big guy'. But I could be misinformed and in any case should be chastised for dragging such predictable and pointless innuendo into the Today… thread.

FIFY YW

There's a rumor that, with current morning temperatures, whilst at Saiko, you are anything but a 'big guy'. But I could be misinformed and in any case should be chastised for dragging such predictable and pointless innuendo into the Today… thread.

ha ha ha! That was not good!

Crap week at work. Really looking forward to my cycle ride today (HF ride up the Edogawa/ down Arakawa, that I was leading). We had 6 even-paced riders today. Great ride up until a kid on a bike swerves all over the Arakawa path and we have to take avoiding action. Sal, riding behind me, turns one way and then back the other; as he does his front wheel briefly touches my back wheel and he's over with a broken collar bone. Good ride turns into crap one, most especially for Sal. Utter crap.
Get well soon Sal

Crap week at work. Really looking forward to my cycle ride today (HF ride up the Edogawa/ down Arakawa, that I was leading). We had 6 even-paced riders today. Great ride up until a kid on a bike swerves all over the Arakawa path and we have to take avoiding action. Sal, riding behind me, turns one way and then back the other; as he does his front wheel briefly touches my back wheel and he's over with a broken collar bone. Good ride turns into crap one, most especially for Sal. Utter crap.
Get well soon Sal
Ergh grim. Is the fracture displaced? Hope not - mine needed surgical pinning to keep it aligned. Mine too was caused by a cyclist veering all over the shop, albeit in my case an old giffer instead of a kid.

I'm in no rush to get my collarbone broken again, that's for sure.

Get well soon Sal

bummer, that sucks.... sorry to hear about the spill.

Had a fun ride this morning.
Chinatown to Enoshima to Kamakura and back.

temps between 0 and 2.
But it was honestly a blast riding along the beach in snow.
Nothing accumulated on the ground, but there was starting to be a build up on my gloves and jacket.

Great ride today:

Distance:47.25km
Time: 01:31:38 @ 288w, 151bpm av.
Elevation gain: 1283m
30min sustained power: 303w @ 154bpm

Just cruising along without even pushing the cardio. Will be heading out on a 100km + ride tomorrow.

Rather breezy out there today, what. Headed up the Arakawa towards the spaceship, but as I neared it I came across yet another running event. Rather than continue and get stuck in detour hell on the return journey I turned round early, unfurled my sail and let the wind take me home.

Rather breezy out there today, what. Headed up the Arakawa towards the spaceship, but as I neared it I came across yet another running event. Rather than continue and get stuck in detour hell on the return journey I turned round early, unfurled my sail and let the wind take me home.
I see you got some KOM goodness out of it;) Those are some long lists to be top of but they might fall this day.

Today:
Time: 03:20:04
Distance: 118.7km
Average speed: 34.7 km/h
Elevation Gain: 1434m

Zero stops!

Back
Top Bottom