What's new

Today - January 2013

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Happy New Cycling Year!

16757101512513702042475.jpg

1 hour of race pace CX training with my training buddy.

73521410151251370329247.jpg

This is right on my door step in Yokohama - lots of technical single track, obstacles, paved and semi paved transitions, fire roads technical down hill and uphill, the only thing it doesn't have is sand!

Good stuff!

Was nice weather for it today, eh?

Is it just me, or is the Half Fast lot looking decidedly quicker than their namesake nowadays?

Did 50km myself. Little Miss Cannondale came with me for a change and managed to keep up mainly. Was a good day. Got home, looked down at my phone, vision blurred, and spent the next couple of hours in bed with yet another agonising aura migraine. Whatevs.

Was nice weather for it today, eh?

Is it just me, or is the Half Fast lot looking decidedly quicker than their namesake nowadays?
Beautiful weather. And we were definitely sun-seekers. When we had to wait around for light or some traffic, we'd cluster together in what sunshine we could find peeking between and among the building of our nation's capital.

As for the epithet: Looks can be deceiving. But we've always been like this. We borrowed the name from Louis Armstrong (1901-71) "Not too slow. Not too fast. Kinda half-fast." And although our routes are usually the same, the people, and thus the rides, are always different.

... spent the next couple of hours in bed with yet another agonising aura migraine.
Get well soon, bro.

Lunch & dinner--same thing except for fish/crab. The dishware with the touches of red in it is supposed to be several generations old. In the second shot, note the green sake cup, and also some tororo w/nori being added center right:

DSC00060_zps337c387a.jpg

DSC00063_zps0e05b710.jpg

I also worked a snow shovel for 40-45 minutes or so.

Giddyup, nice day. Came back from way up north in the mountains. I think I was the only one with a bicycle rack on the roof (no bicycle, mind you).

Good to be back. Too bad nothing was open today. :mad:

fukubukuro season starts tomorrow. :bike: :bike: :bike:

well after 7 days off from structured training I hit the training hard today with the DS of Champion System Japan.

Most CX races are 1 hour of sheer cardio torture, so thats what we did. Very pleased with the results:

Duration: 1:17:30 (1:31:04)
Work: 1929 kJ
TSS: 424.6 (intensity factor 1.92)
Norm Power: 547 watts
Power Avg: 462 watts
Power Max: 1655 watts

Shame there is no real way of recording the running - Although I do have a Garmin FR60 that I could use to record the run data.

Now how do I explain to the wife I need a spare CX bike????

As for the epithet: Looks can be deceiving. But we've always been like this. We borrowed the name from Louis Armstrong (1901-71) "Not too slow. Not too fast. Kinda half-fast."

Continuing the theme, how about, `We have all the time in the world` as a sub-motto?

Came 6th on some Strava segment up the Arakawa.

baby-fist.bmp

Then got knocked down into 7th place a few hours later. By 4 seconds.

gutment.jpg

3 flat tyres and my morning is done. Had to hitchhike home 35km!

I punctured yesterday - fortunately on 5km from home and on the CX bike so I just shouldered it and ran the last home 3km of off road - feeling it today though

My lovely wife and I headed down to Zushi from the 1st to the 3rd, first few days off in a row we have had since last year at this time :rolleyes:
For the past couple of years I rode my bike down to Zushi and back for this mini vacation while the wife and daughter, or daughters went by van. No daughters at home anymore, and my wife is still suffering with the TN pain, so she cannot drive, so no bike ride for me. Instead I walked all around the place each morning, got in a good number of kilometers each day, but boy it was windy down there :eek: We stayed at our friends summer house, about 60m from the beach, the whole house shook all night long from the wind, I loved it, but my wife was a bit freaked out :D
Yesterday did my first deliveries on the Mixer with the trailer, and I popped over to Tim S's place as my front wheel had become a bit wobbly. Not bad really for maybe 2800Km last year on that bike and when you consider I pound the heck out of it each day. The wheel was soon as good as new and I got to have a good chin wag with Tim, thanks Tim!
I too hope to get in more rides this year, last year was about 95% around town deliveries, I'd like to change that, but don't know if I'll have the time or not.

Happy new year everyone and here is to a great year of cycling! :D

Cheers!

Happy New Year, Stu! I do hope that your wife will get better again and that we will be able to do our ride in the countryside together that we've been talking about for a long time.

So far this year I only managed a few shopping rides, but tomorrow morning I have a 04:00 start to catch a 05:01 train. Jose (Jayves) and I are planning to ride from Zushi to Izukogen and back (200 km) along the coast line. It's supposed to be sunny and hopefully not too windy this time.

Happy New Year, Stu! I do hope that your wife will get better again and that we will be able to do our ride in the countryside together that we've been talking about for a long time.

So far this year I only managed a few shopping rides, but tomorrow morning I have a 04:00 start to catch a 05:01 train. Jose (Jayves) and I are planning to ride from Zushi to Izukogen and back (200 km) along the coast line. It's supposed to be sunny and hopefully not too windy this time.

I too hope we can get a few rides in this year Joe.

Stay warm, while it may be sunny, that wind off the ocean can be cold!

A beautiful morning cycling, 25 degrees, light sea breeze. Got out for a brisk 100km run with the local triathlon club, around the local bays and headlands. 600m of vertical all in short sharp hills. Legs are pretty hammered so off to the beach for some relaxing.:D

Any jobs going in Straya between November and March? That sounds ideal!

Jose (Jayves) and I did a 208 km run from Zushi to Izukogen and back to Zushi in a group of 5. The temperatures were manageable and it wasn't too windy. The route had a surprising number of climbs south of Odawara, considering it was a coastal route. Especially the back roads were hilly.

On the last 30 km back to Zushi I was really struggling. I felt about as tired as at the end of my 300 km brevet, despite that being 50 % longer and having almost double the elevation (2800 vs 1600 m). The difference I think is that I trained for the 300 with three rides over 200 km and two rides over 100 km, all in the mountains, whereas in the two weeks before the 200 my entire exercise consisted of a 3 km walk and a 5.6 km bike ride.

There was a 200 km brevet (actual length: 208 km) by AJ Kanagawa that day, space for which had filled up too quickly for either of us to register, so we did a stealth run on the same course the same day.

I arrived 26 minutes late for the rendezvous with Jose and his friends, due to a missed connection, so we only left 10 minutes after the official brevet start and were behind the brevet riders, but later caught up with the rear group. Once we hit the coastal road, we were treated to the most beautiful views of Mt Fuji in the morning light, right in our face, for hours. January really is the best time to get them, because of the cold, dry air. The most beautiful view was from near Enoshima.

Riding in a group with drafting on a flat road I initially thought this was going to be my easiest 200 km ride ever, but I was mistaken. Past Odawara the road became hilly all the way to the turn around point in Izukogen, a popular resort area with many holiday homes and hotels. This was my first bike ride in Izu, which I had visited many times by car over the last 19 years. I met one of the organizers from last year's AJ NishiTokyo 300 km Mt Fuji brevet again when we rested with the brevet riders at the turnaround point. This year's event is going to be on May 18 and I'll have to train quite a bit for it for it not to feel like a death march :)

As we got closer back to Zushi, my speed kept dropping, my thighs and bum were aching and I fell way behind on the last 10 km. Jose's friends were in much better shape than I was. We all made it to the goal within the 13 1/2 hour brevet time limit and afterwards had some ramen together, before catching train rides back home.

IMG_4356.JPG

IMG_20130106_105421.jpg

IMG_20130106_105348.jpg

Back
Top Bottom