What's new

Today - January 2012

Went out last night, woke up this morning with a massive cold. Layed in bed all day feeling like death.

Gutted.

Received my first ever wiggle order. 5 days for ordering.

woot woot! :D

photo-2-2.jpg

I had fun today out riding in the sleet and cold, the only other riders I saw out in the bad weather were some old ladies on Mamachari, the hardcore men on their carbonfibre machines were all indoors polishing their wheels :rolleyes::bike:

Those carbon fibre machines hate wet weather, I am told ;)

Today I hiked for 7 hours over some 18 km of mountains in Yamanashi that were covered in 30 cm of snow (up and down 950 altitude metres wearing crampons)

View from Mt Daibosatsu:
IMG_1472.JPG

Mt Fuji from 42 km to the North:
IMG_1466.JPG

Icicles at a mountain hut:
IMG_1437.JPG

I had fun today out riding in the sleet and cold, the only other riders I saw out in the bad weather were some old ladies on Mamachari, the hardcore men on their carbonfibre machines were all indoors polishing their wheels :rolleyes::bike:

Those carbon fibre machines hate wet weather, I am told ;)

You ladies keep telling yourself that ;) Ohhhh..... and where is your photographic evidence?

17149210150092393729247.jpg

120km - standard "Strada Corsa" setup.

To be honest, my wife's mamachari brakes seemed to work better in the rain on Saturday than the 105 rim brakes on my own bike in the wet on Friday :eek:

I would not take a mamachari on a club ride but hey, they work for what they're designed for!

Not much fun out there today, took a long route this morning to bump up my morning commute to 28km. Which included almost getting taken out by a truck driver opening his door, and another car turning left with no blinker. Followed by getting buzzed by a few idiots. Having my front light ejecting itself at 35km/hr and skittling down the road. (Somehow it didn't get run over and is still working) Ended with tweaking my knee again...

Tonight was just rain and no brakes... are there brake pads out there that work in the rain and the dry?

I had a few errands to run, some deliveries first thing in the AM and then a quick hop over to the hospital for my CT and Echo testing following up on my cancer (I get the results next week). Sure was raining hard out there at times, but after 10 minutes I'm warm enough, good kit helps a lot. The Altura Night Vision rain Jacket and gloves along with the DHP Minima rain pants worked great! I was wearing my MT71 shoes, which are supposed to be waterproof, it was not raining much when I left so I did not put my shoe covers on (cool earthquake!) and as it turns out I did not need to, total of about 70 minutes riding in the rain, quite hard at times, and my feet were warm and dry. My rain pants covered the cuff of the shoe, so no water could get in there, which helps a lot.

The Mixer 8 with fenders, and disk brakes sure make a good rain bike! :cool:

Stu, some of us rode...... but really wish we hadn't bothered!:(

Well you rode the road with your butt from what I hear :eek: Rubber side down dude! :eek:uch:

Hope you are healing fast!

Since I haven't been able to ride the mountains I was hell bent on riding on the Tokyo's frozen roads today. My 15 min commute extended to 30 with two falls giving a dent on my derailleur, even though I was as cautious as possible!

Nice experience by the way. Would like to hear what others did today!

Did a couple laps around the Palace. Gave up after I nearly got nailed by a skidding delivery truck and a scooter who wiped out while passing me. Decided the risk by other vehicles was more than I wished to assume. Though my CX bike works pretty good in weather conditions like this with Schwalbe 'Sammys' that I siped for extra ice traction and disc brakes.

Would like to hear what others did today!
I wobbled to the office on my 250 cc scooter - didn't want to risk the beemer falling over as I'd probably not be able to stand it up again on ice.

After lunch I took a spin out west on my work bike to deliver my new PowerTap SL+ to the Spokemeister-General and for wheelbuilding. Yummy!

http://app.strava.com/rides/3567598

full.gif

Road conditions today were to dangerous to train on so decided 1 hour zone 3 on the trainer was the course of the day plus another trip to the gym.

Got to say I love the dedication of some of you guys but to be honest I would put your safety first than trying to conform to HTFU..... 3 months off due to a broken collar bone will ruin your season before its begun!

Yep, the streets are a bit slick, so be careful out there! Tonight some of it might even turn into black ice, depending where you are. I had no problem with my deliveries today, except for the weird sensation of having one wheel of the trailer in a the pile of snow in the center of some of the side roads, kind of pulled to one side.

Should all be gone in another day or two.

I took the scooter this morning, The roads were at a standstill around Nerima and some of the hills were treacherous. Got the rear wheel hanging out around a few corners.. that was fun! Otherwise it was a slow commute....

Yeah, no riding for me today; got a cold, and it is treacherous where I live.

Spent some time finalising the TCC 2012 kit which I will getting samples of shortly. All looking very good, and I think you will all be happy with the extra structural details included.

A one-hour Sufferfest on the rollers ("Downward Spiral") before dinner. [Data]

Right at the end, with legs like tofu, I lost my balance and fell over onto the other bikes. Dominos!

Walking up the stairs is now astonishingly painful. Hamstrings from Hell.

But I sort-of enjoyed the clouds of steam coming off me. Even got some frost forming on the tips of my hair after I finished.

In case you're interested, I have my rollers (Tacx Galaxia) outside the house but under cover, and iPad 2 to watch the videos is attached to the outside of the living room window with a suction-cup car mount. Still working to perfect this setup; the rollers slide back gradually on the tiles underfoot.

After a few sessions I've become reasonably confident with the rollers. I can get my bottle out, drink, and put it back without falling off. The hardest thing for me at this stage is the constant effort. Coasting denied. If you stop pedalling, everything stops and you fall off.

P.S. Get well soon, Owen. You seem to catch a lot of colds.

Back
Top Bottom