What's new

Today - January 2012

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
Happy New Year everyone!:D

I'm still at work, hope to get off soon, and head to the local shrine for our clap, toss the 5 yen coin, cup of hot sake then to bed. Tomorrow I'll be riding down to Zushi for a nice little vacation with the family, they will be driving down!

All the best in 2012, I hope to continue to improve my fitness and lower my weight through good exercise and a healthy lifestyle change.

Thanks all!

Stu

Have a great ride, Stuart!

I wish I could do the HFC Yamanote ride today. Instead I joined an 11 km New Year's Eve run with the running club of my youngest brother in Germany along the local river valley, with snow flakes dancing around us.

Five days until I get reunited with my bike.

2 hours of non-stop riding on the trainer today.

Zones 1 and 2, really enjoying the LeMond trainer very natural feeling to it.

Went up the Nakagawa to Sekiyado and came back along the Edogawa.Nice ride due to the fact that hardly anyone was about.Had a near mishap near Shibamata though due to the once a year temple visitors.Happy New Year everyone,and Stu had to laugh about the 5-Yen coin throw!

What a great ride, nice and easy, tried to keep my HR down to keep in the fat burn zone. Did 61Km in 3 hours 23 min. Average speed 23.5 Km/h.
LOTS of traffic lights and I stopped at nearly all of them! Really I did!
Saw a fellow cyclist almost get T-boned, because he ran a light, another foot and he would have been a hood ornament!!
I thi k I'll ride back on the 3rd for sure!

Cheers!

30km to the mountain shrine. Roads were bare - so made good time. Tomorrow is my last day of Aomori CX'ng! Cold, but fun! Found some neoprene socks for 1000 yen (actually the S.O. found them) - work perfect as booties. Gloves are my only weak point now.

Total of 100 k on route 1 (Ekiden until Odawara) and then the 135 (coastal) to in laws on Izu Hanto. Happy with an average speed of 28 k/hour (two brief conbini and obligatory red light stops) and a moving one close to 30 (although I expect could have been a little bit higher without the ups and downs of Izu). Legs were toast -- couldnt do the hill leading up to the awaiting onsen, 15 % for a k.

Have a great 2012 people

2 hours of non-stop riding on the trainer today.

Zones 1 and 2, really enjoying the LeMond trainer very natural feeling to it.

How`s the noise? I would opt for that if it wasn`t so LOUD and the extortionate price they charge for the Power Pilot.

For what it's worth - I DID have a cardiologist examination and overall checkup before I started riding with any degree of consistency. I basically wanted a clean bill of health before I started pushing myself at the limit. And, knowing what the limit was is a good thing.

Fellow riders: Please watch out for the dreaded "delirium of swiftness" and, of course, "bicycle face":

http://jama.ama-assn.org/content/274/16/1320.1.full.pdf+html

;)

How`s the noise? I would opt for that if it wasn`t so LOUD and the extortionate price they charge for the Power Pilot.

At 1200w it sounded like victory. In regard to the power pilot cost take a look at other trainers that offer wattage readings and you'll see this is a bargain.

I have a powertap but not all riders do and when Im testing athelets I want a standard base to work from, the LeMond offers this.

Today (well, yesterday actually) spent a couple of hours bombing round the woods at Futatsuzaka on my mountainbike. Dry trails but deep piles of fallen leaves hiding all the rocks / roots :eek: Great fun :D

The ride back to Tokyo from Zushi is done, slightly shorter trip, as I got lost less :eek: :rolleyes: I also ran into the Ekiden, I wanted to leave much earlier than the start I got, so around Yokohama I got caught up in the snarl that is the Ekiden. At one point I had an escourt of three police motorcycle cops. They were great, asked me very nicely to get off the road, and asked where I was going, I told them Tokyo, so they said to turn at the next big intersection and that will take me to route #1. Route #1 is much more rolling that Route #16-#15, but it was a good workout :rolleyes: Total of 120Km done for the year so far,this puts me way ahead of last year :D

Cheers!

2 hours base training - happily spinning away with an average cadence of 120rpm and 150w average. Managed to catch up 2 episodes of 'V' without interruption. Then spent the day running around Zooarsia with the kids and playing tag.

At 1200w it sounded like victory. In regard to the power pilot cost take a look at other trainers that offer wattage readings and you'll see this is a bargain.

I have a powertap but not all riders do and when Im testing athelets I want a standard base to work from, the LeMond offers this.

Cheers, but with the Kurt Kinetic the resistance is calibrated so any rear wheel sensor, in alliance with the speed/power conversion chart from their website will yield power figures...or you can just buy their wired computer for 40 quid to do the job for you. Or I can likewise use my powertap.

My old trainer in the UK is a simple wind one, and perfectly fine for me, but I can`t get away with that level of noise in the house we have.

spoke to the wife about the noise and she said its not a problem with the doors shut, the turbo/stationary trainer and rollers are just sound but also vibration which in her opinion is worse..... she prefers the LeMond.

Train back to Tokyo. Assembled bike. 7km jaunt back home via the pimple. Surprised a couple of riders when I hammered them up the grade on a CX dressed in Anourak , wool trousers and a Santa Hat and a backpack. Well, they were riding their Sunday best 'Truks', Castellie, Rapha, or whatever - so I couldn't resist.

New Year in Shikoku

I was down in Kagawa (Shikoku) with the in-laws over the break. Fortunately, I took my bike and managed to fit in a few rides with a fair bit of climbing too! Apparently, Kagawa has a lot of roads given it's size and population. My experiences were that once you come-off the main throughfares, traffic is very light and abundance of udon shops make for a rewarding pit-stop!

I attempted to climb Daisenyama (~1000m) but hit snow just about halfway up, which forced me to turn back and head closer to the Setonaikai, where it was mild enough for the roads to be snow&frost free!

Back
Top Bottom