What's new

Today I get a package of Johnn Deere &Co. bike accessories, camping/bbq utensils, backpack, water bottle and some hats

adventurous cyclist

turtle speed cyclist
May 16, 2019
Got the package today. One thing nice about John Deere & Co. is that their items are not cheaply made. As a matter of fact they are now (recently) made in the USA. This stuff is quality and it doesn't come cheap. Here's the pictures.

Well, this is one nice bike water bottle. Heavy duty with push up top to drink from

44 JD water bottle.JPG

A cooler, backpack, water bottle, winter and summer head wear, and 2 mugs with close tops. This stuff is high quality

50 JD bbq set.JPG51 JD hot coffee mug.JPG
52 JD water mug.JPG47 JD 2 hats.JPG

45  JD complete package.JPG

Any connection to John Deere? Good job on uploading pics e.t.c. You are evolving into a proper TCCer nicely.

Used to have one of their tractors for my old place in the US...great brand.

Any connection to John Deere? Good job on uploading pics e.t.c. You are evolving into a proper TCCer nicely.

Thanks Kiwisimon for your kind comment.
John Deere & Co. is in my hometown in the States. East Moline, Moline, Illinois . I personally never worked for Deere, but my sister's son works there. So he sends me stuff.

Used to have one of their tractors for my old place in the US...great brand.

I understand now the combines cost like 100000 bucks. Yikes

And they won't let you fix them yourself

I think it got to a point to where you actually don't own the combines anymore. Something to do with the high tech stuff on it.

I understand now the combines cost like 100000 bucks. Yikes

Their machines aren't inexpensive...I worked on the patents for this stuff (not to mention various automotive and a lot of bicycle related innovations, when I was a US Patent Examiner back in the day...)

Their machines aren't inexpensive...I worked on the patents for this stuff (not to mention various automotive and a lot of bicycle related innovations, when I was a US Patent Examiner back in the day...)

Matt, yes, they are not cheap at all. I think my price was what they were years ago when I left the States. A good new combine these days will set you back about 300 to even 450000 bucks.
Is it true that the computer programming stuff on the machines do not belong to the owner and therefore the combines aren't truly 100% owned. Just something I heard briefly about them.
Also many of the parts are made in Mexico these days, something I had no idea of.

Yeah, the "right to repair" thing.

Imagine if shimano wouldn't allow you to work on your Di system--that only licensed service people could touch it.

Matt, yes, they are not cheap at all. I think my price was what they were years ago when I left the States. A good new combine these days will set you back about 300 to even 450000 bucks.
Is it true that the computer programming stuff on the machines do not belong to the owner and therefore the combines aren't truly 100% owned. Just something I heard briefly about them.
Also many of the parts are made in Mexico these days, something I had no idea of.

I don't know about the ownership issues. Usually with a machine like that there is going to be leasing, and the contract may include terms related to core supplier components. Some of the last innovation consulting work I did before changing jobs was related to the self-driving navigation of industrial , and that is an entirely different set of competencies than the mfg is used to, so perhaps there are some sensitive licensing arrangements there.

If you're interested in understanding more deeply about Mexico's switch a few decades ago to growth tied towards manufacturing capabilities (and why that's a problem for them, and not a problem for the USA), check out "The Prosperity Paradox".

Back
Top Bottom