What's new

Today Today - February, 2014

OK Coffee's done. I'm intereted to hearing your opinion of these when you have ridden with them for a while. They look like the business, although I pretty much despise garmin these days.

That is all.

Got up and went for a ride - like I do every Saturday morning. I took my 29er, just in case.

Good Choice.

1782415_10152162119272808_1925420160_o.jpg

I only managed 5 km this week and so was still 95 km short of my weekly goal when the snow started.

IMG_6757.JPG

And I still am. Does Strava have a category for shovelling snow? If it did, I would have done OK.

Two weeks to go until the first brevet of the year. The snow should be a faint memory by then.

Got up and went for a ride - like I do every Saturday morning. I took my 29er, just in case.

Good Choice.

1782415_10152162119272808_1925420160_o.jpg
Love the photo - where is it?
Just done 90kms today - Europe in grip of mild, very windy weather so ride back from the Bay was hard - 75kms gusts (so they said)

Love the photo - where is it?
The photo was taken in Honmoku City Park.
It is located right behind Sankeien Garden.

That was in the morning ~ 0700.

Last night I could not help myself - so I went back out.
This was taken last night in front of the Koban in Chinatown.
1836634_10152162871137808_541848290_o.jpg

Link to a few more pictures -

Morning - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152162115092808.1073741872.549987807&type=1&l=1b8dc9e82d

Evening - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152162870907808.1073741873.549987807&type=1&l=e124d44ec4

If you change/flip It, you can totally slam that stem!!

It's actually a -10º 120mm stem, and "slamming the stem" while flipping it to +10º would shorten the reach and kinda really screw up the fit, although I do need to get that steer tube dildo cut off.

Is that the bike you're bringing to japan?

that's the plan!

Last edited:
had my first bike ride on snow and it was fun using an mtb with 2.5 tires up front. also had my first spill on snow, felt like riding a bobsled!

Reactions: mau
Hit a rock on a descent at speed & blew out the front today. Really nasty 70 metres or so until I managed to stop with other rocks & potholes in the road. Took a couple of minutes to stop shaking before I could change the tube. The Conti Gator hardshell sidewall looks a mess but is still useable which was a real surprise.

I had neglected to get massive tyres for my cx bike - a real shame cause Saturday could have been great fun. The only store I could physically get to didn't have any in 700c - only 26". Next time, baby.

Moanday morning - almost no bikes out on the road. Plenty of patches of snow and ice to keep this intrepid (insane?) cyclist guessing. With luck a lot more of it will melt during the day. The ice especially will be much harder to spot in the dark on my way home.

I built my first ever wheel today. Was much less frustrating than I imagined. It was almost relaxing in a way.
LBS kindly donated a set of ooooold Tiagra hubs and some nice spokes for my experimenting. Laced to Mavic A319 rims.
I'm going to throw some Bruce Gordon Rock and Road tires on these and beat the hell out of some unpaved 田んぼ roads.
wheel.jpeg

Did 100kms this morning in the rain - (when will this weather stop!). Also this is one of my usual rides - 50kms out to a coffee shop and coffee, piece or 2 of cake and return - today being Monday coffee shop closed also bread shop closed - you got to love France (not).

Converted the spare bedroom to a training cave last weekend and joined up to Trainer Road. $10 a month seems cheap compared to being sued for hitting someone on the Arakawa footpath. My near-base model elite trainer didn't seem nearly half as bad with the distraction of target wattages* and useful commentary flashing up. Seems I might have not been sitting on my seat correctly too (errrr ....that's something you learn at the age of 2 isn't it?) - the encouraging messages seemed suggest I should rotate my hips back slightly more than I usually do to get a more distinct sit bone contact (but not so far the coccyx touches!). Seemed to kill the numbness I get after I sit on a trainer for more than 45mins straight

* So I used the Trainer Road wattage setting for my trainer (i.e. only approximate) and did a 20min FTP test. It came out at 247 (just quoting for the next question, not comparision). The reason I mention is that I should have my Powertap wheel on this weekend and it will be interesting to see the comparison to an accurate measurement. Anyone care to suggest what my accurate FTP will be? (just for laughs)

The equation trainer road uses is pretty accurate so taking in to account this is the second FTP you will be doing and the accuracy of the power tap I will say +/- 30 watts.

I did hear that TR is pretty concistent with a good basic trainer (at a range of normal speeds they will typically be concistently out by a steady margin and that margin can often not be too much). In addtion I hear power meters give slightly different readings based on where they are in the power train anyway, so TR can only ever be accurate to "something" not "all". I'll map a few different speeds between TR and the power tap and see the diff

I already had this basic trainer so thought I would leverage it alongside the rollers for mid-week (and bad weather weekends) rather than buy an expensive power based one just yet. It's great apart standing up and wheel speeds above 35km/hr when it seems less smooth.

Changed the handle bar stem today on the Moulton from mountain bike type to road bike type. Now body position is lower and contact points on saddle have changed. Did 50kms afterwards and it felt great. Do not know why I did not do this some time ago as had the Moulton for 16 years....

Changed the handle bar stem today on the Moulton from mountain bike type to road bike type. Now body position is lower and contact points on saddle have changed. Did 50kms afterwards and it felt great. Do not know why I did not do this some time ago as had the Moulton for 16 years....
i hope it keeps feeling good, often times the first feeling is different is good but give it a week or two. Pictures?

Back
Top Bottom