What's new

Today - February 2013

onm

Sep 2, 2009
Rest day for me today, training seems to be going OK although I won't know until I test it (me) out in the mountains.

Lost 4kg and dropped my resting heart rate down to 44bpm since starting this year, which I am pretty happy with.

Rest day for me today, training seems to be going OK although I won't know until I test it (me) out in the mountains.

Lost 4kg and dropped my resting heart rate down to 44bpm since starting this year, which I am pretty happy with.

Congrats!
I'm still in the rest/recovery part of my "off season" while I work out some muscle overtraining issues, and figure out shoes and saddles. So I'm just doing short sessions on the trainer 4 times a week. Yet another saddle in the mail, and trying to wrangle a pair of wide shoes.

How did you measure your resting HR?

Cheers. It is good progress, but I now need to get all my suits re-tailored to fit. Expensive hobby, in so many ways.

HR; I have a Garmin Forerunner405 which I wear to bed, set on a 9 hour HR training program, fall asleep, wake up in the morning, glance over at my wrist the moment I wake up and there it is!

Cheers. It is good progress, but I now need to get all my suits re-tailored to fit. Expensive hobby, in so many ways.

HR; I have a Garmin Forerunner405 which I wear to bed, set on a 9 hour HR training program, fall asleep, wake up in the morning, glance over at my wrist the moment I wake up and there it is!

Aha I can us my old forerunner! Thanks for the tip.

Yeah over the past 18 months I have lost about 10kg and all my clothes had to be replaced or tailored. Cha Ching - more money... But I feel healthier at the age of 33 than I did at 23

Haha, we are the same age!

Yeah, I feel better than I did a few years ago. Not being a massive drug addict on a one way mission to oblivion anymore is probably the main thing I did to sort myself out though, to be fair.

Not sure I feel as good as I did when I was 23 though!

And yeah, I was trying to figure out a way to measure my heart rate, and found the Forerunner405 to be the best solution. Having said that, there is an app on Android (maybe iPhone too?) which I was using before. I cross-referenced it with the Garmin and it is basically spot on every time. Takes a while to start up though, and occasionally doesn't catch the pulse...

I now need to get all my suits re-tailored to fit. Expensive hobby, in so many ways.

Not being a massive drug addict on a one way mission to oblivion anymore is probably the main thing I did to sort myself out though, to be fair.

Almost nothing I own fits anymore. I had a couple of suits taken in but they will never fit as well as when I was bigger. 12kg gone in six months. Now the toss up is between new wheels or another tailored suit.

I was 23 when I came here and the clean living sorted me out quickly then over the years I got lazy and set in my ways. I nearly feel as good as I did when I was 23. 15 to 22 were a write off.

50km down around Tokyo Bay this afternoon. Nothing too strenuous. Yesterday and today windless for once. 586.6km for the month of January.

1100km for me, finished the month feeling I was coming out of the funk I was in for the last few months. Getting the HR monitor helped.

Going to start my proper training soon, still looking into power meters, trying to get the stages one but the wait list is looking like a few months, so I may end up dropping the coin on the new quarq.

1100km for me, finished the month feeling I was coming out of the funk I was in for the last few months. Getting the HR monitor helped.

Going to start my proper training soon, still looking into power meters, trying to get the stages one but the wait list is looking like a few months, so I may end up dropping the coin on the new quarq.

Not sure if it help you, but great prices on BB30 power meters here.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Offers.aspx?Offer=2&CategoryIDs=2183

around 350kms for me for the month of January. lost a few kgs too since I came to Japan 4 months ago.

Looking to up my mileage for February to 500 or so. Any route suggestions for somebody based in Suginami?

Picked up my new SiSL2 crankset from Omiya SEO. 568g for the whole thing, including BB, chainring, spacers, etc. Mental.

Went for the compact version (I was originally going to buy a compact DA unit, but saw this and had a tantrum until I bought it for myself).

While I was in the shop, I met a Shimano rep (who was wearing a Continental tyres jacket... ) He had DA9000Di2 with him set up on a bike. Very slick stuff. Very slick indeed. The brakes are sooooo smooth and powerful it is unreal. Shifting of course is phenomenal. They have definitely upped the game with this.

That is f*ng beautiful! I think I just found my crank for my new bike. Have to grind off the silly logo, though ... Or, loan it to me for a few days and I'll have my Taiwan drift-racing freak machinist clone it.

Picked up my new SiSL2 crankset from Omiya SEO. 568g for the whole thing, including BB, chainring, spacers, etc. Mental.

Went for the compact version (I was originally going to buy a compact DA unit, but saw this and had a tantrum until I bought it for myself).

While I was in the shop, I met a Shimano rep (who was wearing a Continental tyres jacket... ) He had DA9000Di2 with him set up on a bike. Very slick stuff. Very slick indeed. The brakes are sooooo smooth and powerful it is unreal. Shifting of course is phenomenal. They have definitely upped the game with this.

Yeah, it was love at first sight for me; it is so functional looking and is going to look like a thug on my bike.

Off to get it fitted today (if I can make it to the bike shop; just done my first Max HR test... argh...)

Pics;

sisl5.jpg

sisl1.jpg

sisl2.jpg

sisl3.jpg

sisl4.jpg

Thanks Doug, the price is right on those.

Very bizarre weather today. I had to fight myself all the way out the door, having faith in the weathermans predictions of 10- 20 degree day. I got halfway there and was wearing just enough clothes. The wind down by the port was like Thailand but as soon as I got around toda the bite returned.
Was lucky enough to run into kawa and share a few kms and unlucky enough to pick up a flat.

100km all between 130 and 140BPM.

More fixedgear w/weights. Work/time constraints and I really do hate indoor trainers - so, just strap on 4kg weights and ride. Went to the 'lake' a few laps there, behold, a mfg 'test day'! And so happens one of my friends (Anchor Pro) was repping - so I snagged a new RL-8 and tooled it around for awhile. Sweet! The Japanese carbon frames have a disctinctive fit and feel unlike the US / Italian / Chuko counterparts. This one was fitted all new Ultegra w/Nitto cockpit. As it had one of my personally fav bars, I was happy. The 6700 wheels are very smooth, but sluggish compared to my track wheelset. Bike is very stiff in rear section (Japanese trait) but relaxed front-end, making it responsive on the pedal, yet docile and smooth stage-bike feel. I have a 'thing' for Bridgestone since one of my first track bikes ever was a Bridgestone. And the first bike I rode when rebooting my cycling was another Bridgestone trackbike I brought from the US. Then , back on the fixed gear and home again. Oh joy, half speed up the pimple - the extra 4kg had taken it out of me! Haha!

Is there a rule: If you cut your nails before riding, your cables will snap?

Because that's what happened to me today. Was able to put it in a good gear and continue, but would have loved some clippers for the excess cable.

I guess once a year is good timing to switch cables...

View attachment 1236

Kids had a test and lunch this morning so went for 3 hours around the rivers here, the rivers are wide open and generally the snow has melted enough there to get some good SSCX type riding in. Lots of thin slush on top of the frozen ground my bottle was unusable after the first kilometer, do people still use camel backs? Looking forward to getting new forks and wheels from Tim. BTW max temperature today was 0. wind speed of about 15m/s or 25km/h or force 7. the last two I can relate to, m/s means nothing to me. Do the math, 15 meters times 60 equals 900 meters a minute and then times that by 60 and you get 54,000 meters an hour. Weird.

...wind speed of about 15m/s or 25km/h...

My rule of thumb: 10m/s = ~22mph, ~20kt, or 36kph.

From that, you seem to have missed your last number, 54,000 meters/hour, which is 54kph, which fits perfectly with my rule.

Back
Top Bottom