What's new

Today - February 2012

StuInTokyo

Maximum Pace
Dec 3, 2010
Looks like the month ticked over and no one noticed!

Windy out there, sitting upright on my Mixer pulling a full trailer I got hit by a gust of wind and went from 33Km/h to 22Km/h in about 10 meters!

Stay warm, take the hilly route :D

Spent a few hours on the Edo river just now. Didn't see one other cyclist all morning except one mamachari going with the wind. The wind almost stopped me heading North at one stage.
Wind chill factor on the face was pretty bad too.
Think I'll fire up the bath after my double coffee.

Yeah,I just cycled down the Edo river from Misato and the wind was biting.The air was so dry and cold I imagined it being like eating dry ice.Glad I'm home now.Don't know if the wind brought any allergens but my eyes,nose and throat are itching big time now.

Yeah,I just cycled down the Edo river from Misato and the wind was biting.The air was so dry and cold I imagined it being like eating dry ice.Glad I'm home now.Don't know if the wind brought any allergens but my eyes,nose and throat are itching big time now.

I think the Kafunsho is really bad at this time, I know that if I forget to take my pill in the morning, by about 2PM I've got a whopper of a headache :mad:

Rode 36 km with my son from Setagaya to Itabashi and back, which means I finished my weekly 100 km target 3 days early. Kannana was very windy on the way there. I didn't feel safe and we moved to narrower, less exposed roads.

A big head scarf under the helmet kept our ears warm. My only heat problem were the fingertips. Are there any decent but affordable gloves that work with smartphones? I was wearing 4 layers on my upper body and up to three layers on my lower half. The wind whipped up a lot of dust that got in my eyes. I need proper cycling glasses.

I am considering joining FarEast's Miura Hanto L.S.D. on Sunday and have checked a train connection to get to Yamashita koen in time. If I get dropped on the route, worst case I'll have to complete it on my own. I also have an offer to join a mountain hike up Mt Ishiwari near Mt Fuji on Sunday and am not sure yet which one to go for, but 140+ km does sound very appealing...

I suppose because of the dryness all sorts of things are getting transported farther and farther through the air.Can't recall getting hay fever this early in the season though.Good job I just bought a nice container of Shea butter to stop myself from flaking away.I noticed on the site that the humidity level in Tokyo was 19% today.I guess there might be a few fires tonight!

Finally got my first day of snowboarding in today. Felt pretty good, I think this cycling gig is paying off! :cool:

will be doing a good 4-5 hour backcountry climb tomorrow. Sort of like an LSD ride, I suppose. Hopefully won't be as painful as it would otherwise be if I hadn't gotten some good rides under my belt this winter....

:run02:

I forgot to count how many shovels I shoveled this morning and tonight. (and yesterday)

Maybe there's a how-far-you-throw-it distance factor? ...so something you're throwing (or trying to) 2-3 meters counts more than a simple umph onto a close-up pile and you're done?

As it ticks over to February 3rd, I wish to thank >> Phillip << for his suggestion of the 2010 Charge Mixer!

What a great deal, and it has been a great bike. I've subjected the bike to a lot of hard use, but I think I've also taken good care of it. I ordered all the special tools and grease etc, so I can take my Aline 8 Hub apart and clean it then relube it, as it has been a year, almost and it has seen daily use.

Cheers!

70km this morning to Honda Airport and back. Nice day for it. Had a re-occurrence of my knee problems from about 40km on. It was manageable at about 30km/hr but couldn't go much past that without discomfort.

On my way over the bridge on the way out, I had no plan other than to go for a slowish ride and think about my pedal stroke, work on being smooth and try to find the best seating position to achieve that. But I saw another guy crossing the bridge (Gaikan) so I though I would just follow him and maybe I would be shown a new way North. Anyway I caught up and he turned out to be another foreign rider. So we chatted for a way and rode together to Honda and back. Very nice bloke.

I told him about this site, so maybe we will have another new member shortly.

Thanks for the company Alex!:bike:

Oh yeah did I mention I picked up a set of carbon 50mm Elites from Tim last night! Anyway haven't got a sprocket sorted yet so I rode with just the front today...

Thanks Tim as always great service and price!!:cool:

Did an hour on the trainer. Put a different bike on so only operated by heart rate zones. Deviated a little and ventured into z4 as I did some sitting/standing work out for 10mins. Other than that, z2 with low level cadence.

Listened to Jimmie Hendrix's Are you Experienced LP for the first time in a long while. Really is a solid album; and got me thinking about the important philosophical controversy of Mitch Mitchell versus John Bonham.

On power alone I settled for Bonham, even though I like the jazzy style of Mitchell.

Played golf. My new driver was terrible so I put it back in the bag and used the old one! Why Oh, why!!!! I need to ride instead.
Maybe tomorrow! Team training squad will fly by around 8a.m. may have to jump on their behinds.

Golf is a great model for cycling.

Like, who would play a round with only a club or two? You need a whole bag-full, right...?

tires: manic depression

Did an hour on the trainer. Put a different bike on so only operated by heart rate zones. Deviated a little and ventured into z4 as I did some sitting/standing work out for 10mins. Other than that, z2 with low level cadence.

Listened to Jimmie Hendrix's Are you Experienced LP for the first time in a long while. Really is a solid album; and got me thinking about the important philosophical controversy of Mitch Mitchell versus John Bonham.

On power alone I settled for Bonham, even though I like the jazzy style of Mitchell.

Yeah, Mitch Mitchell is my Marco Pantani and John Bonham is Lance.
Have to go with Mitch and Marco on sheer artistry.

Up to Kojiri pass today on an out and back, a little ice at the top of the pass
but no big deal, really. The rindos required "hikling" on four separate occasions. Prefer to avoid that hikling stuff.

Big trouble with my vittoria diamante pro tires, they seem to be deforming from within and creating bulges in the middle of my tires. Once I wrote off as bad luck, but found a second bulge on a diffferent wheel...

Too bad, those diamante pros roll so sweetly.

Are you experienced? Good choice! I'll have to try that one. Can't beat a bit of Jimmy Heey!

If you want to lock into zone 2 or 3, you can't go wrong with a bit of the Flamin Groovies' Teenage Head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIgB5Hmkugc

Turn the lights down low and all knobs up to 11.

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

Rode 136 km today by joining James' Miura LSD (my ride on Strava). I continued on my own from about 1/4 into the loop. That worked much better for me, as everyone else's abilities were way above mine, but I enjoyed meeting everyone and would not have done a ride this long this weekend without their inspiration and planning. This is my longest bike ride since 1980 :)

With this ride, my weekly total comes to 268 km (my personal target is a minimum of 100 km per week) :bike:

Back
Top Bottom