What's new

Today Today - December 2015

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
12310576_10153394727717979_8148160204676899481_n.jpg

But at least Kantō winters are mostly dry. Go fully woolly and stop complainting innit.

I'm at 14,540 km for the year so far. Reckon I can get to 16,000 km before the end. Good stuff.

Lovely sunny morning for a ride to work.

Half-way to the office, horrible sluggish shifting. Here's why...

IMG_2695.JPG

Ugh.

I got to the office OK. I have everything I need to fix it... at home. My dilemma is whether to chance the ride home - could end up with no shifting at all. Or should I go to buy a new shifter cable on my lunch break and try to sort it out in a rush with borrowed tools (but in the daylight!)

Turn in the deraileur adjustment screw to give you a useable gear for the way home?

Lovely sunny morning for a ride to work.

Half-way to the office, horrible sluggish shifting. Here's why...

Ugh.

I got to the office OK. I have everything I need to fix it... at home. My dilemma is whether to chance the ride home - could end up with no shifting at all. Or should I go to buy a new shifter cable on my lunch break and try to sort it out in a rush with borrowed tools (but in the daylight!)

Out on the Arakawa today. Didn't smash any KOMs or break any hearts, just enjoyed my bicycle, the sun, and a feeling of being reasonably fit for the first time in a while.

I did, however, witness a fully Tinkoff-Saxo bekitted fellow drop his water bottle, then struggle mightily to unclip on the retrieval. #blessed

While every other part of my body has pretty much recovered from the crash 1 month ago, some pain in my right wrist remained and has even got a little bit worse. It's localized around the scaphoid bone and mainly affects thumb movement. X-ray images taken on Monday have shown nothing, so I'm going in for an MRI on Thursday. Based on which part hurts it doesn't seem to be a fracture, so is probably bone bruising, or perhaps some tendon damage - the doctor was using too many difficult words for me to really understand. Anyway, should find out during the next appointment. No cycling for a little while as a precaution though.

A train out to Takahama and a ride up Tsukuba and a bit further to home. Brass monkeys in the morning but roasty toasty for the rest of the day. A Tuesday out with the newly crowned Hitachinaka King of Enduro
Photo Dec 01, 8 26 05 PM.jpg Photo Dec 01, 8 26 17 PM.jpg Photo Dec 01, 8 26 56 PM.jpg Photo Dec 01, 8 26 36 PM.jpg Photo Dec 01, 8 27 06 PM.jpg

Started with this a year ago
image1.jpeg

First, upgrade of wheels
image2.jpeg

The flood gates opened and upgrades of handle bar and stem came next
image3.jpeg

Another wheel upgrade, as I didn't like the look of the alloy brake surface
image4.JPG

Not yet satisfied, the groupset upgrade - Dura Ace 9000
image5.JPG

Finally, bliss!!!!

@leicaman - hit a bad patch of head wind and completely brain farted changing it before the photo:ashamed:

A train out to Takahama and a ride up Tsukuba

The weather for this ride today was very character building indeed. Colder than death itself on the ride to the station in the morning, and very indian summerish after 10:00 a.m.
Here's how my Iphone saw the day's events...

At the top of the first climb.
IMG_3124.JPG

We managed to find rindo magic right in the heart of the Tsukuba Ranges.
IMG_3125.JPG

Moon and mountain.
IMG_3130.JPG

No filter.
IMG_3134.JPG

Kasumigaura.
IMG_3140.JPG

Tonegawa.
IMG_3142.JPG

TCC mansdem in action.

IMG_3133.JPG

Last edited:
Today I tested my new hub system some more, after refining the engagement angles to stop it going SCKRAKKKKKKKKKKWWWRAAAAAKKKKKKKKK-KAKAKAKAKA when it disengaged at speed

It is getting better and the test I did in true scientific form, which consisted of me putting my bike in the trainer, then suspending the rear wheel off the rolling friction part by jamming a spanner behind the frame joint, then spinning out as hard as a could in 50-12, left the rear wheel spinning for 11 minutes before coming to a stop. Amazing.

F*#ken MINT, brother! You have reached nirvana. The perfect compliment to it will be developing the leg power that we know you are capable of producing. Awesome!

@Heath - I am fully committed! It's time to get some of that TCC mansdem:cool:

Got home OK last night with a two-speed grind, and replaced my disintegrated shifter cable. New brake shoes as well, as it was about time. And I washed off the Tamagawa mud from last weekend. It took the whole of this morning's commute for the shifting to settle down again with the new cable. Stop & adjust; stop & adjust. I must have lost my touch. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom