What's new

Today - December 2011

Bear in mind, I'm not that strong a rider anymore. My 60min FPT would be in the 300- 350w range only. And aerodynamics count big time when you start hitting 40kph+ . A 400w- 500w rider has a lot more to play with!

Tim, also your FTP is bloody amazing.... there are some pro tour riders that would kill for that! You should be racing JPT!

Agreed. At 62kg that is 4.84-5.65 w/kg. That puts you from middle of cat1, thru domestic pro to within touching distance of international pro (5.69). And like FarEast says, I`m sure there are many pros who are only 5.5 w/kg. And then given your age, not being rude, but with VO2 capacity declining from the age of about 35 (though the amount of reduction is reduced if you keep training) then you must be in the top 0.1% for your age. You could race masters with those figures and be competitive. Congrats.

Thanks guys, I was lucky to train alot when I was young - and especially tons of hill work. You create a muscle memory which carries on. I also did alot of cross country skiing in the winters which also helped condition and build cardio. But , I've seen how hard and fast the likes of FE, Clay, Alan and others on TCC can ride, and honestly, some of the best riders I've ever seen are sitting here in Japan without a doubt! You guys could easily step into a Continental Team or higher. That's why I'm surprised Japan doesn't field more Continental riders. The roads here naturally challenge you to ride at a strong level and fast pace.

@Sikochi - if I wasn't such a a laggard and had gotten off my when I was in my 40's, I'd probably to do the Masters thing. But, went a different direction, messed up my leg quite badly and am a bit on the 'fall side'. So, the 'senior thing' in Japan is really great. There are some very tough old goats here. Alot of ex Keirin pros, Olympic riders, domestic Pro, etc. Racing in Senior group here means you are either riding with guys who's just picking up a new hobby , or career riders who haven't missed a day of Nutella in their life! Hell, even the 80 yo guy I ride with sometimes will bust my butt! (ex Olympic and Keirin Pro). I'm pretty happy just to hang onto the end of a gruppetto .

Tim, you really should race the JCRC Master class. I think you will love it! We can car pool as I will be attending all the races next year.

If anyone is interested in in racing masters, there is a masters event every year in Japan. It moves around the country each year and covers all sports from archery, to 10 pin bowling, to cycling.

You need to be over 35 and have a racing licence. Then you can race for your prefecture of residence.

This year it was held in Ishikawa. Unfortunatley I couldn't go but Andrew enjoyed his time in a Niigata jersey:

http://mountain-goat-rides.blogspot.com/2011/09/masters-road-race-2011.html

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

If anyone is interested in in racing masters, there is a masters event every year in Japan. It moves around the country each year and covers all sports from archery, to 10 pin bowling, to cycling.

You need to be over 35 and have a racing licence. Then you can race for your prefecture of residence.

I always think that at 35-39 you should still be with the main field. Masters should be 40+

I totally agree. 25yrs ago 'masters' would be 35+ , but conditioning technique, general health and fitness and equipment have improved dramatically. Plus cyclists maintain ability to perform at a high level well into their 30's. Personally I noticed the 'dip' around 32yo and it was one of the reasons I left the sport feeling that I just couldn't achieve the results I wanted.

I did nothing in my 40's , yet, I would have probably been near my strongest both physically and competitively. Mainly since most of the competitors had 'retired' by that age and moved on (like me), AND radical change in equipment + better techniques meant that I could have leveraged my previous conditioning even more.

Now, in my 50's, my conditioning is adequate enough to enjoy riding on a regular basis and I can hit a HC or TT now and then, that's fun. But to compete mano e mano with riders in their 30's and 40's would be near suicide. I just don't have the 'snap' to pound out the 1000w+ attacks over and over that are required to stay with a strong group.

If there is a 50+ group, I'd be interested. I can do pretty well against my own age as there's a decent normalizing factor. Plus, it's a bit safer due most of the riders are more cautious and experienced.

I always think that at 35-39 you should still be with the main field. Masters should be 40+

Blimey, I am a "Master" by that reckoning <dons slippers and lights pipe>.

<puff puff puff> Looking at only hillclimb results, it's rare that there's much difference between the 20s, 30s and 40s age groups winning/top 10 times. In many cases the 30s and 40s are faster. Of course, this might mean that the really fast 20 year olds are off doing professional races but nonetheless, 35 seems a bit of an early cut-off.

AW.

Master.jpg

I went over 3300Km for the year today, not bad, next year I want to go over 4000 Km!

I also heard a horrible screeching noise on my front brake as I was going down a big hill with lots of beer on the trailer :eek: Yep, I've worn out the first set of brake pads on the Mixer. I'd say I got over 2500 Km out of the front set, and almost all of that is hauling my fat arse around and a trailer full of beer, in city traffic, so lots and lots of stops per kilometer. I went down to Y's Shinjuku and for 1099 yen got a new set of pads, should be a 10 minute job tonight to swap them out. Love them disk brakes! :cool:

Some pics of the brake pads....

BR-M445_old_new_1.jpg

The shinny spot is the steel backing showing through, I think I got my money's worth out of that set of pads :D

BR-M445_old_new_2.jpg

New on the left old on the right.

Really easy job changing the pads :cool:

I do like these disk brakes!:D

Masters:

The masters starts at 35 but they seem to break the races into 5 year brackets. 35 to 40, 40 to 45 etc.

Alan, I too notice there is little to pick between the age groups in hill climbs. As a general rule I find the young perform well in hillclimbs but don't have the staying power in longer road races.

Tim, funny what you say about peaking at 32 as I too feel 32, 33 was the peak for me. Now at 36 and soon to be 37, I'm hoping to peak again soon!

And as for being 50 plus, you only need to look at Murayama san for inspiration. I've lost out to him twice this year, once on the last lap of a 110km road race and once on the last km of a 6km hillclimb. Not so much a case of attacking, just riding everyone off his wheel Mercx style.....

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

I totally agree. 25yrs ago 'masters' would be 35+ , but conditioning technique, general health and fitness and equipment have improved dramatically. Plus cyclists maintain ability to perform at a high level well into their 30's.

Agreed. If I had expanded my post, those would be the same reasons I would have given.

Looking at only hillclimb results, it's rare that there's much difference between the 20s, 30s and 40s age groups winning/top 10 times. In many cases the 30s and 40s are faster. Of course, this might mean that the really fast 20 year olds are off doing professional races but nonetheless, 35 seems a bit of an early cut-off.AW.

You have to remember with cycling, that being primarily an aerobic sport it takes years of high-end training to peak, so cycling is one sport where 20-year-old upstarts are at a disadvantage: they just don`t have the aerobic engine. Even then, cycling is a very inefficient sport in terms of how much energy you generate actually reaches the pedals (10-25%, pros probably in the range 20-25%) so (I think I am correct in saying) that even as you age, whilst VO2 may decline you still have the potential to increase your efficiency.

Tim, funny what you say about peaking at 32 as I too feel 32, 33 was the peak for me. Now at 36 and soon to be 37, I'm hoping to peak again soon!

Andy, just think when you reach 40 you will be wiping the floor with your age group!

Actually, I intended to start racing when I hit masters, just a couple of years late. Be interesting to see if I can push on next year with a full winter`s training behind me.

I don't think its just the aerobic engine that matters. It's the heart and the 'intent'. I can't really explain it - but - while you have the strength that carries you in your 20's and also the quickness of recovery - you really don't develop the 'suffer sponge' until you are about 25-29yo. Also - this is somewhat related to your max 'enlightenment' period. It's really the golden age for any man (and maybe women - but I'm not so I don't know). Thenafter that you mature to your physical and mental ability and add in experience since it finally makes a difference. And voila - from about 28 - 38 you have this amazing peak available. As you get older - you forget about the pain more and concentrate on conservation. Efficiency. Focus.

I have no clue about performance in your 40's since I missed it. But coming back in my 50's - I feel like I've rebooted. And everything is the same - but different. My Grandfather used the 'cows down the hill story' to explain.. Now I get it...

Perspective - age generates an automatic governor. You push as hard as you can (and the governor) allows. More than that - and well, you might scratch your new frame!

The small things count alot more when you get older. Fitness, diet, fit, components,. etc. It ALL makes a significant difference. How else could companies like Rapha exist? When you are in your 20's - wtf cares what layers of kit? Fabrics and stuff. You Ride and therefore You Are!

One factor you have all missed out and it is the key factor with these masters and that is muscle memory. Some of these guys have amazing pedaling economy for the simple reason they just ride and ride and ride.

They use less energy and power to spin and in a race that comes down to sprint finishes these guys have hardly even started tapping into thier energy reserves. The young guys or new comers to the sport are relying on raw energy.

Yeah - actually I see that alot. Riders who 'over attack' at the slightest intent. I know, for example, I can do a series of fakies that will get a less experienced rider to over attack and ride into their red zone repeatedly. By doing this early into a ride, they will be building up loads of lactic acid that later on will come back to haunt them. It's funny , sometimes all you need to do is make a noticeable shift and stand to set them off. While it takes minimal energy expense on my part - the result is the other rider will respond sometimes with a full blown attack. If they do - I pretty much I know I can have them within 50-70km as they'll be beat to a pulp.

Bear in mind - these type of strategy are best borne out on longer more technical rides. For circuit / crits, the suffering is just out of control and the best we (mastertypes) can do is find a good slot and hang tough and work the yo-yo's as best we can. Stay off the brakes, clean lines and head always down. And then look for a good lead out.

One factor you have all missed out and it is the key factor with these masters and that is muscle memory. Some of these guys have amazing pedaling economy for the simple reason they just ride and ride and ride.

They use less energy and power to spin and in a race that comes down to sprint finishes these guys have hardly even started tapping into thier energy reserves. The young guys or new comers to the sport are relying on raw energy.

The wx outside is wet, wet, wet. But squeaked in about 40km cycling this past tuesday, and tho today would've been okay on the tourer (still lots of wet), I had to proctor a test in the aft, so for the week: four paddlings in the pool, and only that one day pedaling on the paths.

My son removed my chain and cleaned it with washing up liquid, as per FarEast's chain care tip. Bought a spoke tool at the local bike shop and new bar tapes for my son's bike.

Watching the lunar eclipse from my balcony...

I had the chance to briefly ride in Osaka today. I choose the famous "Kurigari Toge" >>wiki<< as my destination. This road goes up to 455m and the key part is around 2.5km long. For that part the average is ~20% with parts up to 37%. I needed to stop several times because my chain sprung off (guess my shimano 92' derailleur didn't like my 32 mtb sprocket), but I have to admit that I was quite happy to have some rest in between, at least I didn't push my bike :bike:.

I've done this one too, as the start to a longer ride around the broader Osaka-Nara-Kyoto-Kobe area. It's definitely the steepest climb I have ever done. I had to get off and walk the steepest sections as I was afraid of potentially falling into oncoming traffic on the narrow sections. The locals use it as a short-cut in the morning, clearly not expecting bicycles...

Worth doing, just for the sake of it. Very nice views on either side, and the "toge hamlet" is also beautiful.

Christmas goodie shopping. Managed about 50km on the fixed gear looking for candy canes. Got home, broke out the spoke cutter and built up a 32h x 38mm Carbon CX wheel. This is for my carbon CX / Audax bike with discbrakes. Wheel turned out really nice. Now waiting for my dynamo-hum, err.. hub. For the front, that is. Tomorrow -HFC Parks of the Westside - Full Santa . ... A man with a weed whacker was outside and I saw helicopter in the air .... (tell me the ref and set of carbon bottle cages are yours!)

Found the Arakawa yesterday. First time there. Miles better than Tamagawa, wowsers! Hoofing it along kannana was pretty crappy though.

Swung by Y's in Shibuya and saw Eric, and got me some warmer shoe covers!

Back
Top Bottom