What's new

Today Today - August 2016

I could ride my routes blindfolded by now, and leave too much space and every pass becomes giri-giri. There is only one thing to do - ride faster than traffic at all times.
Or channel the Sega Megadrive classic Road Rash and chainwhip your way to clear roads.

Especially if it's one of these utter f**knuggets:
img_bus.jpg

"Let's have a good time with you under the wheels of my bus."

Maybe I should save this for winter, but here's one to keep your legs warm:

Image.jpg

Not only did I ruin a wheel yesterday but I got water in my Garmin 800.

Either when pouring it over my head or when out of the saddle sweating directly onto it water got under the screen and from the second climb onwards I couldn't use the touch screen at all. Luckily the buttons are used to end and save the ride so that was fine.

I have had it in a bag of rice over night but nothing has changed. Anyone with any experience of electrical items drying out in rice bags, how long should it take?

Before anything else I am going to ask a quick stupid question... you have checked that the screen lock isn't on? Mine activated the other week just from drops of sweat falling onto the screen off of my cap brim.

A minimum of 48 hours in a dry warm environment is what I was always told to ensure electronics have dried out..... but for your Garmin, if there is water under the screen it will depend on if it can escape again or if the evaporating water just condenses back under the screen. Probably obvious, but make sure it is drying out with the screen face down so the moisture can get out the back. Even with an amount of Rice in a sealed box, the water still has to escape the device itself.

Thanks @macrophotofly

No, the lock isn't on. There is a visible pool of water under the screen that can be moved around when pressure is put on it.

Initially I noticed it because one field was blue indicating that I have selected it by holding a finger down on it because I want to change what is being displayed there. Touching any part of the screen resulted in nothing and the blue area would around as I moved the water around. I will go and check it is face down and see how it is right now. I've been out in downpours like today with it and sweated buckets on the trainer right on top of it before so I don't get what is up with it now. I'll post some pictures just so I can show you I am not just making this up to buy a new head unti, though I am looking at reviews...;)

Maybe put the rice and device in one of those airtight ziplock bags. Leaving it behind the refrigerator or somewhere else a bit warm might help too.

The rubber seals over the sd and usb are open? Might be worth a try. Also maybe upgrade the rice to silica gel.

Easy enough to pop open and dry everything out.
I'd open the thing up, remove the cover and main circuit board, then grab some isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab and wipe down the constituent parts. Allow to dry, reassemble, then give it a dig.

Or channel the Sega Megadrive classic Road Rash and chainwhip your way to clear roads.

Especially if it's one of these utter f**knuggets:
img_bus.jpg

"Let's have a good time with you under the wheels of my bus."
I remember about 10 years ago or more and the Keisei Driving School bus nearly wiped me out on a crossing.
The dick didn't even know he had done anything wrong despite speeding through a school zone let alone see the irony of the situation.

Not only did I ruin a wheel yesterday but I got water in my Garmin 800.

Either when pouring it over my head or when out of the saddle sweating directly onto it water got under the screen and from the second climb onwards I couldn't use the touch screen at all. Luckily the buttons are used to end and save the ride so that was fine.

I have had it in a bag of rice over night but nothing has changed. Anyone with any experience of electrical items drying out in rice bags, how long should it take?[/QUOTE
Leave it in a for about 3 days.
When my iPod Nano was inundated with water I left it in a bag of rice for a few days and it worked when I switched it back on.
Best not turn to it on too soon or you'll fry the electronics.
However,I've had numerous other devices not respond at all after also coming into contact with water.

Well yesterday was a interesting ride. After the majority of HFC rides got cancelled on Saturday I thought a few people might turn up for a Sunday blast over Shiraishi, Sadomine and Shomaru Toge, but on turning up at Sakado I found I was in for a solo ride. Couldn't understand why (my weather app was predicting <20% chance of 0.1mm of rain) until I pointed the bike above 200m altitude ...and then realised that having the app pointing at central Tokyo rather than a higher Saitama location was a big mistake. Constant drizzle turned into rain the higher you went and a light rain jacket didn't keep the oshiri dry for very long. I saw four riders descending while I climbed Shiraishi, but not a single rider more all day (apart from Shomaru Station where I met a friend who came out to keep me company for the last 35km)
The rain itself was a cold inconvenience but the run off from the Typhoon, earlier in the week, onto the roads has left debris more akin to a Rindo.
  • Front side of Shiraishi all clear - just the odd branch on the road.
  • Descent from Shirasihi to Sadomine and then the climb up - bit sketchy in places with lots more gravel and branches washed onto the road. Now like a typical paved Rindo. Banks looked saturated so more rain might bring issues
  • Descent from Sadomine to Shomaru (the one used by people finishing the Green Line too) - bit of a mess in places with several landslides each taking up 1/4-1/3 of the road. Banks above road were super saturated. Had one landslide happen to me as I cycled by - thankfully I was on the opposite side of the road to avoid the rocks and soil cascading down - doesn't get much luckier than that!
  • Shomaru Toge - Clear both sides with just branches etc.
Would put money on today's Typhoon causing a larger landslide that entirely closes that Green Line / Sadomine descent to Shomaru....

Well yesterday was a interesting ride. After the majority of HFC rides got cancelled on Saturday I thought a few people might turn up for a Sunday blast over Shiraishi, Sadomine and Shomaru Toge, but on turning up at Sakado I found I was in for a solo ride. Couldn't understand why (my weather app was predicting <20% chance of 0.1mm of rain) until I pointed the bike above 200m altitude ...and then realised that having the app pointing at central Tokyo rather than a higher Saitama location was a big mistake. Constant drizzle turned into rain the higher you went and a light rain jacket didn't keep the oshiri dry for very long. I saw four riders descending while I climbed Shiraishi, but not a single rider more all day (apart from Shomaru Station where I met a friend who came out to keep me company for the last 35km)
The rain itself was a cold inconvenience but the run off from the Typhoon, earlier in the week, onto the roads has left debris more akin to a Rindo.
  • Front side of Shiraishi all clear - just the odd branch on the road.
  • Descent from Shirasihi to Sadomine and then the climb up - bit sketchy in places with lots more gravel and branches washed onto the road. Now like a typical paved Rindo. Banks looked saturated so more rain might bring issues
  • Descent from Sadomine to Shomaru (the one used by people finishing the Green Line too) - bit of a mess in places with several landslides each taking up 1/4-1/3 of the road. Banks above road were super saturated. Had one landslide happen to me as I cycled by - thankfully I was on the opposite side of the road to avoid the rocks and soil cascading down - doesn't get much luckier than that!
  • Shomaru Toge - Clear both sides with just branches etc.
Would put money on today's Typhoon causing a larger landslide that entirely closes that Green Line / Sadomine descent to Shomaru....

Cheers for the info. Glad to hear you escaped unscathed

5 weeks back on the bike and 5 weeks straight training 3 days a week and running either 2 or 3 days also. Got my runs up to 10km on Sunday which was great running weather. Nice and dull just like I like it. Ran around Setagaya Park for the first time. It was infested with Pokemon Go players even at 6am. It was great to see so many father and sons going for an early morning walk in the park, capturing those wild pokemons. Some runners were also plodding along phone in hand looking for the next catch and stopping suddenly... fun, fun.

5 weeks back on the bike and 5 weeks straight training 3 days a week and running either 2 or 3 days also. Got my runs up to 10km on Sunday which was great running weather. Nice and dull just like I like it. Ran around Setagaya Park for the first time. It was infested with Pokemon Go players even at 6am. It was great to see so many father and sons going for an early morning walk in the park, capturing those wild pokemons. Some runners were also plodding along phone in hand looking for the next catch and stopping suddenly... fun, fun.
Are you running improve your running or to keep your fitness for the bike?

Are you running improve your running or to keep your fitness for the bike?

I don't really know why I do either sometimes. I guess the answer is freedom. You can run anywhere. That's the attraction. No equipment. That is how I started. A long boardwalk beside the seaside in France and no bike with me. I wondered what it would be like. I kept it up for the rest of the trip running in different towns. That was cool.

I also got roped into our yearly relay marathon effort at the company in October. Not sure how much running yet but 10km Max depending on number of members so gotta make 10km feel a bit easier. That said, I find running very aerobic unlike cycling (unless I'm pushing it). I feel that 30 mins on out the door running can be quite productive in terms of keeping the fitness going. This year, I'm suffering from lack of time in the mornings to cycle longer because of work so I'm squashing what I can in. Running certainly helps here I feel.

As for improving my running. Would love to. I want to get faster. Hopefully my odd attempts at fartleks will see me through. I'd also like to be able to run a half marathon but then I start getting into running taking more time also so I'll stick to just running for me and maybe one day my morning run will end up being 20km quite by accident like the way you sometimes ride out the door and turn right for no apparent reason and just keep going.

Got stung by a wasp or one of those big bees this morning. Hit me in the face then bounced onto my shoulder and stung me there. Hurt a lot then still hurts a lot right now!!
I was hoping for some kind of performance boost to turn the tables on @Mlac Peek who was also making me hurt this morning. But alas wasp venom doping is unfortunately not a thing.

New kit and all. Litlle/big fucker....

image.jpeg

About 20 guys turned up for morning training today. One pro tour guy again, and this year's Niseko Classic winner (35-39 years), along with some other hitters setting the pace. You know when you are trying so hard that your body wants to evacuate itself? Well that, plus my diaphragm started hurting simply from the effort of breathing. Barely managed to stay with the front lads. Lots of pseudo grumbling about how fast it was, but all smiles by the end. ;)
oY7-2Ee79Wx0lc0vuO04MEV-xble04V9tRBIDbnlxOU-2048x1152.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom