What's new

Today - August 2012

Awesome, Tim! Looking forward to the post-event get-together....

This morning I was sporting the GS Astuto Haute Route kit. Really nice stuff. Not sure if I'm ready for "race cut" but gave it a go. Arm 'coolers' are the shizzle.

giddyup!

:bike:

Tim, I am glad you made it! おつかれさまでした!

It is sad to hear about the fatal accident and other accidents that occurred. I am looking forward to seeing you back in Tokyo, all in one piece!

Yesterday I did my only longish ride this week, following 4 days in Taiwan with the family and before today's all day barbecue in the Tanzawa mountains: 50 km out to Machida and back (2 personal records on Strava).

Met a fellow Bike Friday rider on the Tamagawa bike path and we both stopped for a chat and later exchanged email addresses. He rode a white Pocket Rocket Pro (a lighter version of my PR) and was a freshly retired Japanese engineer.

Only 3 weeks to go until the 400 km brevet on the Sep 16/17 three day weekend and my last 100+ km ride was 5 weeks ago! :eek:

Lovely morning out this morning, another 50km before work down on the Arakawa. Steadily improving my endurance. Did one fast lap with Ben and Takaaki of 39.8km/hr over the 10km circuit. Not bad!

Hi Joe - thanks for your warm support! BTW - the cache battery you loaned me was so great! Except for the last stage where I was just too burnt out to even pull the Garmin off my bike, I used it to charge all my gear every night. A super piece of equipment to have along!

It was very sombering experience - but when you consider more than 600 cyclists competing at the very bitter end of their abilities, accidents will happen. The HR crew and medteams did an outstanding job keeping any issues to a minimum and response to the accidents was super fast and professional with med-teams that were specially trained in Cyclosports. So, you felt more confidence and safety than even perhaps a regular ride.

Now I'm just looking forward to de-compressing a couple days, then enjoy a 'normal' ride again!

Tim, I am glad you made it! おつかれさまでした!

It is sad to hear about the fatal accident and other accidents that occurred. I am looking forward to seeing you back in Tokyo, all in one piece!

I am glad the 8,000 mAh battery kit worked for you, Tim!

Take your time to recover - I haven't forgotten yet how long it took me after my Fuji climb to feel normal again. Looking forward to a chat over a cup of coffee sometime and will definitely keep an eye on FB and the GSAstuto site for any writeups of the Haute Route.

Personally, I am itching to get back out to Tomin no mori again for a 100+ km ride, perhaps the BOOB ride all the way from Setagaya and back (180 km).

Today: after a day off from everything, 50 laps in the pool. Will be back on a bike tomorrow. (plus some more laps?)

Still at 85kg, that hasn't budged at all over the summer. :(

Attended Tue night training and was able to hang on for 2 laps and take two turns at the front. Everybody noticed an improvement over last week.
Feeling good! Legs felt strong. Heart was telling me to 'whoa slow down..we're not ready for this yet..'.

:confused:

Got the Powertap back on Monday. Sent it off without the freehub to keep the weight under 2kg, and it came back with a new one on. Was going to put the old one back on, but noticed loads of red grease (or whatever it is ;)) inside, so left it. Anyway, opened up the battery cover and has a new hub ID/serial number but as to what precisely they did, can only speculate as there is no commentary. Anyway, will test it out once the rain disappears (shall treat it with more care this time). So can only complement Saris on the warranty procedure - repaired with no questions asked for just the cost of postage to the US and new 1 year warranty starts again from now.

Now, shall I upgrade to a new Joule 1.0 to go with it or wait for the GPS...

Did about 100km by myself, then went to meet new member whempy in the evening (hi whempy!).

Rode around for a bit, had a beer with my new local riding buddy in the park in Kasukabe, then rode home in the dark.

Nice.

New frame is immense, and horrifically fast. Love it!

Had a great training run this morning. Just the usual 51km around Arakawa. But with the slight drop in temperature I was able to keep up a better speed. I tried to run consistantly between 34 and 36km/hr (solo). Which I pretty much succeeded in doing. The first 90 minutes I covered 49.6km which is pretty good for me.

The only sour note was barelling over a plastic botte at about 37km/hr that some shuffling zombie had strategically placed to disrupt the cyclists. There are a series of speed humps along the course, that end before the side of the road so naturally the cyclists avoid the humps. In the last few weeks some of the decrepit shuffling corpses have taken to piling up dead grass on the gaps. Today they took it to the next level of hiding bottles in the grass.

I should start riding with a machette and rid the world of the walking dead as I go.

Ha, is that seriously happening?

I know the speed bumps you mean.

What a bunch of spiteful children.

Today in China.
pina.jpg

The end of the month and official summer is almost over. It's been a busy month for my cycling, well it's more training than cycling as 90% of it has been over the same piece of road.

Anyway 1130km, my largest distance over a month period yet.

On my last run this morning I cracked the solo 50km in 90 minute mark that I had been working towards. Got in by 18 seconds! In order to make it I had to keep up about a 36km/hr average on the flats as there are a few humps and hillocks that drop your averages if you let them.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/216923646

Nice way to end the month for me!:D

Hey that looks like Far Easts bike, i guess that's where he got his moniker from.

LOL - Yep thats the alley behind my house. Ride them once throw them away - you all do that right? :D

Are those from the police seizures? Or factory testing ? I see piles of counterfeit everytime I go over there. The police will do a raid now and then and seize a few hundred framesets as an 'example' , make a big show of destroying them and piling them up for a couple days.

The end of the month and official summer is almost over. It's been a busy month for my cycling, well it's more training than cycling as 90% of it has been over the same piece of road.

On my last run this morning I cracked the solo 50km in 90 minute mark that I had been working towards. Got in by 18 seconds! In order to make it I had to keep up about a 36km/hr average on the flats as there are a few humps and hillocks that drop your averages if you let them.

Congratulations on reaching your goal! Pretty impressive. I think you should consider joining some of the enduro events that seem to be popular in the fall and winter.

Congrats, what are you training for?

Back
Top Bottom